Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Looks like a ballhawk

Looks like Vick cousin
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ice49er:
Great write up on Ward from WalterFootball.com
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014jward.php

Man reading their report he seems more like a FS then a SS. Also Reid to me seems more like a SS then a FS. Got to admit the one thing I am so jealous about Seattle D is there safety play. Sherman gets a a lot of talk but I really don't think he puts up his stats without Kam and Early back there supporting him. We are working the inside out approach to our secondary.

While a shut down corner is nice really feel having a strong center field is more necessary. Ward may start off as a Nickel but the grand scheme is to pair him up with Reid and have a pair of safeties that rivals the Seahawks. This will allow us to also find gems on the outside that cost much less since they can play more aggressive with Ward and Reid covering them over the top.
[ Edited by dwett on May 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by dwett:
Man reading their report he seems more like a FS then a SS. Also Reid to me seems more like a SS then a FS.

The idea catching on alot more lately is to have two FSs that can be sure tacklers and role down to be 3rd corners. With the way the passing game is headed this makes your defense simpler to run and more multiple.
Originally posted by CWin4949:

looks light

No pads
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Question about Wards role this year. I know he's expected to be the nickle CB and developed at safety which could end up being his position down the road. My Q is, say either Reid or Bethea go down with an injury, does Ward go start at safety this year? Is he essentially our #3 corner and safety?

I would say yes because he's better than Dahl and Spillman. Then one of Cox, Wright or my hope Morris fills the nickel

Good question. I would imagine Ward would slide over to FS/SS next to reid and we'd use Morris or Cox in the slot. That said, Spillman may not be a poor option at FS either but that would most likely take him off from ST contributions so it would be best to bring in an experienced CB IMHO.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Looks like Vick cousin

Someone should tell him that Percy Harvin is a pitbull.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Looks like Vick cousin

Someone should tell him that Percy Harvin is a pitbull.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwett:
Man reading their report he seems more like a FS then a SS. Also Reid to me seems more like a SS then a FS. Got to admit the one thing I am so jealous about Seattle D is there safety play. Sherman gets a a lot of talk but I really don't think he puts up his stats without Kam and Early back there supporting him. We are working the inside out approach to our secondary.

While a shut down corner is nice really feel having a strong center field is more necessary. Ward may start off as a Nickel but the grand scheme is to pair him up with Reid and have a pair of safeties that rivals the Seahawks. This will allow us to also find gems on the outside that cost much less since they can play more aggressive with Ward and Reid covering them over the top.

I'm hoping and praying that Nick Moody will be our Kam Chancellor, and with that we have Ward and Reid backing him up in the secondary. I'd also love a shut down corner, but I think with this defense, the *shut down* DB's are at the safety position. Fangio loves to zone blitz. and in essence the zone blitz defense is primarily a zone defense, not man ot man. So in essence the CB's are going to play a lot of off coverage by design, and the Safties try to make the WR's going over the middle pay. Unfortunately the rules forbid this now, so the Safties have to be more man to man defenders than hitters in Fangio's Lebue defensive schemes.
Great write up on Ward from WalterFootball.com
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014jward.php

I love how many times they mention his ability to cover slot WRs
Pumped to see what this kid can do!!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Pumped to see what this kid can do!!

Me Too!
I'm feeling he'll be difference maker just like Reid.
Share 49ersWebzone