There are 201 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Ward is a tweener with no position.
Originally posted by mayo49:

He's a football player that can play multiple positions.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I guess you can see it that way, too.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
And yet Baalke said he's not moving to corner and is moving to the back end and they drafted guys who can man the slot. Unless I am misunderstanding what your point was

I think you know what his point is. LOL

I guess you can see it that way, too.

Ward was one the top nickel CBs in football. He really stood out against GB last season, shedding down Cobb. He maintained that play all year.

Not many CBs can stick with these quick, fast-twitch WRs. Ward can. Solid player to build around.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Wow Sakamoto spreadin the myth.

premier shut down corner
Wow is this actually printed outide the webzone?

Sakamoto spreadin the hype.

premier shut down corner

bona fide shut down corner.

Um, how did pff grade him the first 9 games.

We think so highly of his corner play, we just drafted three more.

Ward has bounced back nicely from his rookie campaign, and had a good three game stretch at the end of a lost season. I hope he keeps it up

Ward sought you out brodie.

Last month Jimmie Ward took to Twitter, searched out his name with the word 'bust' and went on a re-tweeting spree (thumbs-up to each).

Ward apparently has no problem embracing the negative criticism he received as a former first-round pick. He's using it to fuel the evolution of his role in 2016.

This spring, Chip Kelly's new coaching staff is making an effort to get Ward on the field for more than just nickel situations.

He lined up at right cornerback in base defense during OTAs this week, a position he hasn't played with regularity since college when he would shadow the opponent's best receiver despite playing safety.

After the 49ers used the 30th-overall pick in 2014 to select the little-known defensive back from Northern Illinois, Ward started right away in the secondary's most difficult position: nickel cornerback.

That role was previously held by veteran Carlos Rogers, who was in the NFL for six seasons before assuming that job with San Francisco. In the slot, Ward was tasked with matching up against the offense's quickest receivers, bodying tight ends and playing the run like a safety in the box.

In his home debut, with the added spectacle of Levi's Stadium opening in prime time, the Chicago Bears used one of the league's best red-zone targets to expose Ward's inexperience. Brandon Marshall wound up with three touchdowns on Ward to spark a 28-20 come-from-behind win for Chicago. It was only Ward's second game as a pro.

Predictably, fans took to social media to throw stones at the latest first-round bust. After just two games, the jury was in and Ward was no good.

But quietly, in his second season in 2015, Ward improved after missing the second half of his rookie year with a Jones fracture. He had a better idea of what to expect thanks to extended sessions in the film room. He was motivated by the negative reaction. He welcomed the extra incentive evident by his Twitter habits.

The work paid off in his next meeting against the Bears last December, which he highlighted in his head. Ward in the first half recognized a bubble screen to his left, with a little help from NaVorro Bowman calling out Jay Cutler's audible, and authored the first pick-six of his career by front-flipping into the end zone. It was a highlight in San Francisco's lone road victory in an otherwise dreary 5-11 season.

Ward was far and away San Francisco's best defensive back in coverage last year, according to Pro Football Focus' metrics.

"Coming off my rookie year, being hurt, you kind of lose confidence. But I worked real hard, stayed in the film room to try and build that back up," Ward said.

"A year ago we heard how Jimmie Ward was a bust," general manager Trent Baalke said. "Well, look at the last eight games of (last) season, and tell me how Jimmie Ward's playing. I think Bill Walsh said it a long time ago. Two years, give them two full years."

Entering his third season, the 49ers want to see how Ward does on an island outside to stay on the field for 100 percent of the snaps, like the team's best defenders do. Playing nickel, he was on the field for roughly 65 percent of the plays.

"I think that's exactly why I'm doing it – just to get me more reps, more reps on the field and different types of packages we may run," said Ward.

"The more you can do, the better off you are."

Ward is also working at his natural position of safety this offseason, where the 49ers have projected starters in 2013 first-round pick Eric Reid and veteran Antoine Bethea. The latter turns 32 in July and is coming off surgery to repair a torn pectoral. They also used a second-round pick on Jaquiski Tartt last spring.

Ward describes himself as "an instinct player," which lends to playing on the outside where his responsibilities are simplified. He has the sideline to help him in coverage, instead of working in the congested middle of the field. The emphasis in the slot is playing the right coverage and relying on teammates to execute the call.

An expanded role is a challenge Ward's relishing. He's still the team's primary slot option in sub packages. But a potential full-time move to either corner or safety would be more palatable after the 49ers used their most recent third-round draft pick on Mississippi State's Will Redmond, who played in the slot in college. Redmond is recovering from an ACL tear suffered in October but is expected to be available for training camp.

San Francisco received criticism for using a first-round pick on Ward given his part-time status in his first two seasons. But his ability to play every position in the secondary went less mentioned than his diminutive frame, standing 5-foot-11 and 193 pounds.

"I'm a versatile player," said Ward. "I was drafted as DB (defensive back). Really, I'm just showing how valuable I am as a player."

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/05/19/jimmie-ward-out-to-defy-criticism-play-all-downs-in-2016/

Thats not true
It's impressive that he's able to play all three positions, but it's not exactly like he's being asked to convert into something new. He played safety, nickel, and CB in college, too. He's an impressive athlete with aggressive instincts and good ball skills. I hope he's a monster outside. He has the agility and acceleration to stick with anyone, imo. I hope he's developed a new strategy for challenging the reception against big WRs who are high-pointing, though.
He kind of reminds me of Marquez Pope.

Originally posted by NJNiner:
He kind of reminds me of Marquez Pope.

Really? Pope was more of a thumper S that then played as a super press CB. Ward can thump, but he's way more shifty, athletic and dynamic than Pope ever was imo

Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Jack of all trades. Master of none.

his pick 6 was sweet though...
If they are now planning on starting him at corner why did we draft 3 additional corners?

This. And, as last year showed, he's a fast-improving player who can play multiple positions. The fact that he's so versatile and can be good at multiple positions in the secondary is seemingly what the Niners are checking out more now w/ a new D coordinator...trying him now outside at CB, maybe having him play more on the backend like Baalke suggested recently. It's still early so why not see what he can do? What we do know is he really showed well last year in covering the slot - he really improved from his first year.
Share 49ersWebzone