There are 156 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm reading that he is a saftey that will play nickle to be groomed as a safety?

Has that happened before? I hope they just make him a CB. It doesn't make sense to me otherwise
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 8, 2014 at 10:22 PM ]
I like it. Kid looks like he can play

Originally posted by LoneWolf:

hopefully we see alot of hits like this called correctly with us.

lol..he was ejected for that? Ridiculous.

Going to be fun watching him do that to Harvin twice a year.
Originally posted by thl408:
Can any one link to video of him playing CB?

I've just seen vids where he plays safety.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I'm reading that he is a saftey that will play nickle to be groomed as a safety?

Has that happened before? I hope they just make him a CB. It doesn't make sense to me otherwise

He's a safety with very good man cover skills. Versatile. He lined up in the slot at NIU in addition to safety.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by thl408:
Can any one link to video of him playing CB?

I've just seen vids where he plays safety.

Culliver played safety in college should NOT be a big deal
Originally posted by JD81:

Good god look at that tv
The value of the rangy safety in the NFL has gone up like a good tech stock on Wall Street in recent years.And now with the Seahawks winning a Super Bowl because of their defense, which is keyed by free safety Earl Thomas, the league of copycats is now putting even more of a premium on cover safeties.

For years, I've thought the free safety would be the bigger corner moving inside and the strong safety would be the free safety moving over, which is what we are seeing in some situations. Teams are also interchanging their safeties more than in the past.

Seattle still plays the old strong safety and free safety looks, with strong safety Kam Chancellor playing more like a linebacker and Thomas taking on the role of center fielder with the responsibility of covering a ton of ground.

Now comes the hard part for teams looking to replicate that style, which is finding a player who can cover that type of ground.

I think I found one.

It's Northern Illinois safety Jimmie Ward, who is this year's captain of my annual Better-Than team, which is a group of players I think are better than the scouts think they are right now -- and moving forward.

Northern Illinois safety Jimmie Ward plays much bigger than he's listed. (USATSI) Ward is a 5-10, 193-pound safety who plays much bigger than he's listed. He is a willing tackler in the run game, and played up near the line a lot at NIU. But he's more than capable of playing deep.

He is a smooth player in coverage, who turns and runs like a corner when he's asked to do so. I watched several of Ward's games, and really thought he competed on every play, which is something I like to see.

While he didn't spend a ton of time playing deep, when he did, he made the most of it with his instincts and his range. He might not be a burner, but he plays fast enough.

Half the battle of playing the single-high safety is reading and then reacting to the ball. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you lack recognition skills, you'll still struggle in the deep middle.

I think Ward will be able to play up near the line and in the deep middle on the next level. In fact, even though he throws his body around when up near the line of scrimmage, I think his best football will come playing deep.

Ward did have some foot issues that could be a concern for teams, and they limited him at the combine, but if healthy he's worth a late first-round pick, which is where I think he will go.

That's why he's the headliner of my annual Better-Than Team, which is a spot that has featured players like Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David and New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul in the past.

And to balance it out, it's also a spot that featured Minnesota Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder and former Cowboys quarterback Stephen McGee, who is now in Canada. Oops.

Last year's captain was LSU defensive tackle Bennie Logan, who went on to start in the middle of the Eagles defense as a rookie last season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24552469/the-better-than-team-nius-ward-is-cover-safety-modern-defenses-need
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I don't know if he's good or not but it does seem like a reach we probably could have had him in second or third round.
well at least he passes requirement number #1, get tape out there of you dominating against non pro level talent

Originally posted by susweel:
I don't know if he's good or not but it does seem like a reach we probably could have had him in second or third round.

Don't make me go and bump the 2011 draft thread again. Most mock drafts out there had Ward as going from the mid 1st round to the early 2nd, by drafting him at #30 the 49ers get a 5th year option on him as well. He wouldn't have last past the first few picks of the 2nd.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 8, 2014 at 10:31 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

lol 3rd round?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Don't make me go and bump the 2011 draft thread again. Most mock drafts out there had Ward as going from the mid 1st round to the early 2nd, by drafting him at #30 the 49ers get a 5th year option on him as well. He wouldn't have last past the first few picks of the 2nd.

Good point. Hopefully he can ball.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Does he have long arms?

One of the longest I believe in the senior bowl...

He has a wing span of 77" which eqautes to someone who is about 6'4".

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2014/5/7/5688174/2014-nfl-draft-jimmie-ward-dont-believe-the-height

I found this article after the draft and I'm beginning to like this pick a bit more. I can see that this is a pick for now and in the future. Still would have preferred to get a WR in Jordan Matthews.
Share 49ersWebzone