LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Is he gud?
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
It was still a nice catch. Also there and on that almost fumble return for a TD he showed he has a real nose for the ball. A real playmaker. I like it
Yea big ups to Lynch for starting the whole process but that took some serious talent on behalf of ward to finish the play.

The ball was tipped twice if I remember correctly. Then he had borland bearing down in his path. To top it all off, check out the great ball skills he displayed when he finally got his hands on it. The ball was inches and milliseconds from touching the ground but he rolls it over in a split second so he could cup it, preventing it from touching the ground, allowing him to gain control of it and complete the interception.
PFF has Ward rated as the third highest 1st round player this preseason.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by outside4949:
ballhawk!

This. Exactly what we need

nice to see we have at least one guy who does not suck on our team , lot of negativity here. he sucks, she sucks, whats up with our offense, whats up with our defense.. good god.. the only negative i am concerned about this pre season is the stupid f**king sod
He's going to be a fine nickel back, but man am I excited to see him really play safety.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
It was still a nice catch. Also there and on that almost fumble return for a TD he showed he has a real nose for the ball. A real playmaker. I like it
Yea big ups to Lynch for starting the whole process but that took some serious talent on behalf of ward to finish the play.

The ball was tipped twice if I remember correctly. Then he had borland bearing down in his path. To top it all off, check out the great ball skills he displayed when he finally got his hands on it. The ball was inches and milliseconds from touching the ground but he rolls it over in a split second so he could cup it, preventing it from touching the ground, allowing him to gain control of it and complete the interception.

Excellent concentration on that int. They said in college he always had a knack for always being around the ball and making plays. It's only preseason but he is showing he is starting to carry that over.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by tohara3:
ballhawk!

This. Exactly what we need

nice to see we have at least one guy who does not suck on our team , lot of negativity here. he sucks, she sucks, whats up with our offense, whats up with our defense.. good god.. the only negative i am concerned about this pre season is the stupid f**king sod

Totally Agree...
ballhawk!

That's our entire secondary now. Rogers and Brown would concentrate on playing coverage and if the QB fits it in there, then they make the tackle.

Secondary now is playing the coverage and since they're in the right position, break up the pass. See culliver over the middle...

Brock has proven he does this too.

We know what Reid can do, Bathea and now ward.

Qb's are getting all of their completions to the middle of the field where the vacated bowman would be, that's really the truth.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Jimmie Ward's College Coach: 'We Figured We Had Something Special'

By Andrew Pentis

To examine the San Francisco 49ers 12-man NFL Draft class, 49ers.com checked in with a college coach of each pick. We continue our series with...

Jimmie Ward played in 55 of 56 games over his four-year career at Northern Illinois.

The 49ers first-round pick recorded at least one tackle in all of them.

Consistency, as his second of two college coaches sees it, was the key to Ward's ascent from a lesser-known football school.

Ward, a Mobile, Ala., native with few options after high school, showed up, worked hard, let his talents take over – and then, under Huskies head coach Rod Carey, learned how to speak up and lead.

"If he didn't agree with something, he would say, 'I don't know, what about this, coach?'" Carey said over the phone from DeKalb, Ill. "And sometimes I would go to him, and he would give me his opinion.

"Everything that you want out of a college senior, you got with Jimmie Ward."

First Impressions
"Jerry Kill and his staff recruited Jimmie, and Jimmie played as a freshman in 2010," Carey said. "When I came in as an offensive coach before his sophomore season, we were watching film and we knew he had like six blocked kicks or whatever, and we were like, 'Holy, who is this kid?' And then in our first game against Army in 2011, he blocked a punt and set the whole game up, so we figured we had something special. Obviously, he turned into an all-conference player really quick."

College Improvements
"I took over right as the head coach before the 2013 Orange Bowl, and Jimmie was a part of my staff's first senior class the next season," Carey said. "I put a lot on him and (quarterback) Jordan Lynch. I pulled those two in, and I said, 'Listen, it's on you two. You're the two best players on our team. The team will do as you do.' Jordan, I knew what I had in because I was his offensive coordinator the year before. Jimmie, I didn't really know him because he was on the defensive side. I spent a lot of time trying to get to know him, and he grew up. The reason he was a first-round pick is because he took his role as a leader seriously."

Off the Field
"The smile on his face when he talks about his little girl – every time we talked about her, he got a big ol' smile on his face. He's a proud papa. That's my biggest memory of him away from football."

Big Moment
"This may sound a little odd, but it came in a loss, against Utah State, our bowl game this year," Carey said. "Jimmie knew he was going to be an NFL Draft pick, and we had already lost the MAC Championship. We had worried about where our team was, because if we had won that game, we go to the Fiesta Bowl, I think. Our defense didn't really play well in the MAC Championship, so we put a lot of work into it. And here Jimmie was, after a month of practicing before the Poinsettia Bowl, leading the guys. He probably practiced harder than anyone in that month.

"And then in the game, we were down. Offensively, we're not playing well at all. We turn the ball over for the third time for the game on offense late in the third quarter, and Jimmie takes his defense out to the field and told them, 'We have to have a stop; we have to have a turnover.' It's third down and they throw a pass, and Jimmie makes the most incredible interception in the back of the end zone. He was beat, but with his recovery speed, he caught up, made the pick and brought it out to the 25-yard line. He gave us a chance in that game. That play will stick with me."

NFL Expectations
"I wouldn't put any of my expectations out there," Carey said. "That's for coach (Jim) Harbaugh and his staff. They saw that they liked him. They know way more about what to do with Jimmie in the pros than what I can tell him."

Coach's Advice
"I talked to him once and texted him a bunch. I just said, 'Good luck. You will do great. Keep doing what you're doing,'" Carey said. "He has a lot of people beating him up right now, so he doesn't need me doing that."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Jimmie-Wards-College-Coach-We-Figured-We-Had-Something-Special/547efab1-9173-4d12-b36c-24d33b654c68
he has a tough season ahead of him covering Austin, Welker, Desean Jackson,john brown Brandin Cooks. hopefully by the time he faces Harvin he will be well seasoned.
[ Edited by matthewabbit on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM ]

Originally posted by matthewabbit:
he has a tough season ahead of him covering Austin, Welker, Desean Jackson,john brown Brandin Cooks. hopefully by the time he faces Harvin he will be well seasoned.

I think he's up to the task. There will be some growing pains and I'm sure he'll split time with Cox but I like his potential and I love his competitiveness.
Lookin' good
Love that he's a good tackler.
I know this can change before Week 1, but is anyone else concerned a little about the news from yesterday that Ward is slated to be one of the gunners on punt coverage? By concerned, I mean about the possibility of him getting injured covering punts in this role when it's looking like he'll be our starting slot corner playing at least 60% of the snaps (and thus, playing a very important role in today's pass-happy NFL).
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
I know this can change before Week 1, but is anyone else concerned a little about the news from yesterday that Ward is slated to be one of the gunners on punt coverage? By concerned, I mean about the possibility of him getting injured covering punts in this role when it's looking like he'll be our starting slot corner playing at least 60% of the snaps (and thus, playing a very important role in today's pass-happy NFL).

Yeah. I don't like it. Mccray is the other gunner. If we lose Ward to injury on ST. That would mean Cox would play Nickel. Not sure he is quick enough to handle Welker, Jackson, etc. Hope Ward stays healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone