LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Jimmie Ward: 49ers’ first-round pick has overcome weighty matters

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/06/14/jimmie-ward-49ers-first-round-pick-has-overcome-weighty-matters/

Nice read
Excited to see this kid on the field
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
It kinda sucks he can't go full out until TC. Rookies need all the practice they can get.

True. But on a positive note - the 49ers probably knew this and prepared for it. Johnson is getting ward's reps and I think he has the physical gifts that Ward doesn't have. Physically between the two - Johnson should be able to do things Ward may not easily do. All in all, I hope both of them are healthy come training camp time.
Originally posted by Giedi:
True. But on a positive note - the 49ers probably knew this and prepared for it. Johnson is getting ward's reps and I think he has the physical gifts that Ward doesn't have. Physically between the two - Johnson should be able to do things Ward may not easily do. All in all, I hope both of them are healthy come training camp time.

Johnson ain't getting Wards reps, Cox is. Johnson been playing the outside
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Steve Smith on defense...

I can see Percy's migraines coming back and Tavon Austin developing some
[ Edited by LVJay on Jun 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM ]
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwett:
Man reading their report he seems more like a FS then a SS. Also Reid to me seems more like a SS then a FS. Got to admit the one thing I am so jealous about Seattle D is there safety play. Sherman gets a a lot of talk but I really don't think he puts up his stats without Kam and Early back there supporting him. We are working the inside out approach to our secondary.

While a shut down corner is nice really feel having a strong center field is more necessary. Ward may start off as a Nickel but the grand scheme is to pair him up with Reid and have a pair of safeties that rivals the Seahawks. This will allow us to also find gems on the outside that cost much less since they can play more aggressive with Ward and Reid covering them over the top.

I'm hoping and praying that Nick Moody will be our Kam Chancellor, and with that we have Ward and Reid backing him up in the secondary. I'd also love a shut down corner, but I think with this defense, the *shut down* DB's are at the safety position. Fangio loves to zone blitz. and in essence the zone blitz defense is primarily a zone defense, not man ot man. So in essence the CB's are going to play a lot of off coverage by design, and the Safties try to make the WR's going over the middle pay. Unfortunately the rules forbid this now, so the Safties have to be more man to man defenders than hitters in Fangio's Lebue defensive schemes.

The MLB Nick Moody?
Has there been any word on Ward, health wise? It would be a shame if he missed a significant amount of camp.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TJA85:
The MLB Nick Moody?

He played safety and LB in college. He's a tweener like Kam. Oversized safety/ undersized linebacker - size-wise.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Good point.

Originally posted by 49ers808:

Good point.

Morris has been getting them too right?
The MLB Nick Moody?

He played safety and LB in college. He's a tweener like Kam. Oversized safety/ undersized linebacker - size-wise.

What were his pass coverage skills like? I know that Whitner had to develop his because we still need that ability up top. If Moody has any ball hawking capabilities I wouldn't mind throwing him out there on short yardage situations
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jul 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM ]
  • thl408
http://insidethefilmroom.com/scouting-report-new-49ers-safety-jimmy-ward/

This is a nice site
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
The MLB Nick Moody?

What were his pass coverage skills like? I know that Whitner had to develop his because we still need that ability up top. If Moody has any ball hawking capabilities I wouldn't mind throwing him out there on short yardage situations

Let's take a look at some strengths:
Physicality: Even as a safety, Moody lined up a lot in the box and was a big contributor against the run. He was known for his big hits (see below) and physical play.
Willingness to contribute on special teams: Moody knew special teams would be the key to his professional career. He learned the importance of special teams at FSU and played significantly on both punt and kickoff coverage.

Areas where Moody has struggled:
Pass coverage: Moody seemed to struggle with some of the assignments as a strong-side linebacker, including covering the tight end or crossing routes. He was often exposed in passing situations, despite being a former safety, leading to a significant reduction in playing time his senior year.

Adjustment to another new position: It's worth keeping an eye on how Moody adjusts to playing his third position in three years. He has some pretty impressive tutors in front of him combined with a coaching staff that won't ask him to do too much right away.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/5/12/4323206/49ers-draft-picks-2013-nick-moody-scouting-report
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
http://insidethefilmroom.com/scouting-report-new-49ers-safety-jimmy-ward/

This is a nice site

Yes.
Share 49ersWebzone