LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 196 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
People really do not understand what we did to him. We took a roaming, play making FS and turned him into a slot CB. That's a night and day change in positions. One, all the action is in front of you 20 yards deep...the other, you're playing with your back to the QB as you start at the LOS. Then we moved him outside where it's a mix of both and learning to jam press and using the sidelines. He even played a couple games at FS.

Now, finally, if true, you're about to see Ward in his natural play making position where he'll be a central focus of the defense. The dude is a film junky too. He's already a good read and react player but the film study will put him over the top.

I have a feeling he's excited to get back to FS and if they pair him with his BFF in Tartt (Kam Chancellor role; great fit for him), we could see a young, transformed backfield.

Couldn't agree more! I wouldn't mind spending a mid rd pick on a hard hitting SS either...josh jones is 6-2 215 out of nc state, Obi Melifonwu from Ucon is like 6-4 219 and really stood out at the senior week...John Cyprien is a FA and was a stud vs the run as well (worked with our DC).

We got options which is nice

I like Cyprien as well. Good volume tackler, four year starter, solid in run defense. He understands the defense well being installed. I'd be happy to see him in a niner uniform.

If their moving Ward back to safety though and they still have Reid on the books for his fifth year option, it's probably unlikely they'll go for Cyprien, but we'll see.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Feb 25, 2017 at 7:57 AM ]
Those are excellent references and most importantly, great scheme fits...that should be our team mantra this year...scheme fits!

I've got free agency covered but I lean on you guys for the draft.

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I like Cyprien as well. Good volume tackler, four year starter, solid in run defense. He understands the defense well being installed. I'd be happy to see him in a niner uniform.

If their moving Ward back to safety though and they still have Reid on the books for his fifth year option, it's probably unlikely they'll go for Cyprien, but we'll see.

Yeah I agree...I still like Reid and we be fine with Reid/Ward this yr no doubt. I was not a fan of the tarrt pick and I still haven't seen much from him.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Personally have yet to be impressed with Ward at all in 3 seasons. Durability is an issue and aside from a few "solid" games, he's never shown anything close to a first round pick or true talent.

Truth!

Injuries hurt his development a little, but he's been asked to play inside and out along with having a different defensive system every yr he's been in the league...also imo they haven't played him at his natural poisition which is safety.

He was the 30th pick, not a top 10 CB draft pick...he's been solid and far from a reason the defense has struggled.

People really do not understand what we did to him. We took a roaming, play making FS and turned him into a slot CB. That's a night and day change in positions. One, all the action is in front of you 20 yards deep...the other, you're playing with your back to the QB as you start at the LOS. Then we moved him outside where it's a mix of both and learning to jam press and using the sidelines. He even played a couple games at FS.

Now, finally, if true, you're about to see Ward in his natural play making position where he'll be a central focus of the defense. The dude is a film junky too. He's already a good read and react player but the film study will put him over the top.

I have a feeling he's excited to get back to FS and if they pair him with his BFF in Tartt (Kam Chancellor role; great fit for him), we could see a young, transformed backfield.

We were historically terrible last year. We couldnt even tackle. Forgive me and I respect both you guys opinions but we were horrible and NC you knew how high i was on Acker and Dontea but I'm willing to cut the losses if he doesnt show me anything. Maybe it's scheming or fitting but we had alot of flops. Forgive me for not trusting anyone that guy drafted at this point.

Thats why I'm banging on the table for quality players in this draft.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Feb 25, 2017 at 8:36 AM ]
We were historically terrible last year. We couldnt even tackle. Forgive me and I respect both you guys opinions but we were horrible and NC you knew how high i was on Acker and Dontea but I'm willing to cut the losses if he doesnt show me anything. Maybe it's scheming or fitting but we had alot of flops. Forgive me for not trusting anyone that guy drafted at this point.

Yeah, never understood why Dontae sat on the sidelines time and time again esp. last year when we were finally using press CB techniques (hence why Robinson was drafted). Acker was for off-coverage and we moved away from that scheme so I understood him (he was a 6th anyhow). Ward moved to slot, to CB, to FS a bit, tons of injuries. With all the injuries and constant MAJOR changes in schemes one year to the next, poor play callers in Mangini and O'Neil, we just have no idea what talent we really have on defense...or don't. But I agree with Lynch...this is not the talent level of a 2-14 team. It probably was what we all thought. A 6-8 win team to start a rebuild and the 2nd youngest team in the NFL changing coaches and schemes every year and raped by injuries.

Maybe with a little luck in the health department, some more talent added in FA/draft, players put in more natural positions (better fits) and some quality coaching/development, we'll find a bit of success in the foundation year (WCO + 4-3 under).

Yeah, never understood why Dontae sat on the sidelines time and time again esp. last year when we were finally using press CB techniques (hence why Robinson was drafted). Acker was for off-coverage and we moved away from that scheme so I understood him (he was a 6th anyhow). Ward moved to slot, to CB, to FS a bit, tons of injuries. With all the injuries and constant MAJOR changes in schemes one year to the next, poor play callers in Mangini and O'Neil, we just have no idea what talent we really have on defense...or don't. But I agree with Lynch...this is not the talent level of a 2-14 team. It probably was what we all thought. A 6-8 win team to start a rebuild and the 2nd youngest team in the NFL changing coaches and schemes every year and raped by injuries.

Maybe with a little luck in the health department, some more talent added in FA/draft, players put in more natural positions (better fits) and some quality coaching/development, we'll find a bit of success in the foundation year (WCO + 4-3 under).

If Ward stays or goes, I definitely want to add a push starter at CB/FS depending on awards move in the top 3 rounds. Somewhere in the second seems about right to me.
Shanahan can't decide if he's a cb or safety, I agree with other posters on here who have already pushed for him to play safety, I think he will be better off at safety as well.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Shanahan can't decide if he's a cb or safety, I agree with other posters on here who have already pushed for him to play safety, I think he will be better off at safety as well.

You can bet, this was already discussed with Saleh and my guess is he's finally moved to FS. Neither Reid nor Tartt has the range for cover 3 and being the single high S.

You can bet, this was already discussed with Saleh and my guess is he's finally moved to FS. Neither Reid nor Tartt has the range for cover 3 and being the single high S.

But Malik Hooker or Budda Baker can play that CF role. I'm leaning get on letting Ward continue to develop at CB and think he'd be able to stay more healthy there. Ward,Robby,Redmond,Brock,DJ,Reaser are gonna emerge into a top ten group in the NFL IMO and Ward/Robinson have potential to be GREAT duo that can hold passing offenses to limited success if we improve the front 7.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Mar 1, 2017 at 4:08 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

But Malik Hooker or Budda Baker can play that CF role. I'm leaning get on letting Ward continue to develop at CB and think he'd be able to stay more healthy there. Ward,Robby,Redmond,Brock,DJ,Reaser are gonna emerge into a top ten group in the NFL IMO and Ward/Robinson have potential to be GREAT duo that can hold passing offenses to limited success if we improve the front 7.

That could certainly be a route to go as well. WZ's minds would explode at another S taken.

Good god, Tarrt or Reid as Cover3-FS? That would be a nightmare.
Both of them are way too agressive to be a Cover3-FS imho. Ok, Ward is also an agressive guy but only if he got a man to play against but not as long as he got zone coverage duties, iirc.
[ Edited by communist on Mar 1, 2017 at 5:12 PM ]

That could certainly be a route to go as well. WZ's minds would explode at another S taken.

I was feeling that way as well but who gives a fudge. Reid is gonna be on his fifth year.. Tartt was a second round mid pick from a small school that's gonna be in his third system in his third year. Hopefully w/better personnel he's able to set himself up to be the SS starter if Reid handles the SS role this year.
How bout if we land a decent safety through Free Agency or draft....he stays at CB....OR if we land a decent CB in Free Agency or draft...he moves to safety...logic is hard
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
How bout if we land a decent safety through Free Agency or draft....he stays at CB....OR if we land a decent CB in Free Agency or draft...he moves to safety...logic is hard

That's why I'm on board to go Malik Hooker or Budda Baker in the draft. I like a few CBs in FA but the draft is deep. I'm VERY intrigued with Hookers ball skills and his size at 6-2 205. Let's put money towards the lines/QB/WR IMO.
Originally posted by vamphunter23:

That's why I'm on board to go Malik Hooker or Budda Baker in the draft. I like a few CBs in FA but the draft is deep. I'm VERY intrigued with Hookers ball skills and his size at 6-2 205. Let's put money towards the lines/QB/WR IMO.

Ideally, I wanted Bouye to pair with Robinson and move Ward to FS and play to everyone's strengths in this system. Robinson would play the role of Sherman, Bouye the role of Shead, Redmond for Lane, Ward for Thomas and Tartt for Chancellor.

RCB: A.J. Bouye; Keith Reaser & Prince Charles Iwora
S/CB: Will Redmond; Chris Davis & K'Waun Williams
LCB: Rashard Robinson; Dontae Johnson & JaCorey Shepherd
FS: Jimmie Ward; Eric Reid, Marcus Cromartie & Marcus Ball
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Antoine Bethea & Vinnie Sunseri

All that said, if we got Hooker, that means we can keep Ward at RCB and that would a much cheaper route to go and there would be continuity. We could slowly work him in while Reid starts as the cover 3 (after he gets torched for 6 games or so).
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 2, 2017 at 7:02 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone