LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by saniner:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
From Matt Barrows:
The 49ers are contemplating moving Jimmie Ward from cornerback to safety, the position Pro Bowler Earl Thomas plays for the Seahawks.

About time!! It's nice to have some competent coaches for a change.

I think it's more due to Reid. But it's pretty obvious now that he has lost a step and he will be much better served as a SS and playing more in the box. Hopefully Ward becomes the FS that some thought he would be when drafted.
From Matt Barrows:
The 49ers are contemplating moving Jimmie Ward from cornerback to safety, the position Pro Bowler Earl Thomas plays for the Seahawks.

Given that, Fangio is incompetent as well.
From Matt Barrows:

Oh for the love of God. Thank you. IT'S ABOUT f**kING TIME!
From Matt Barrows:

link?

I don't see it on his twitter.
From Matt Barrows:

About god damn time
Originally posted by communist:
From Matt Barrows:

Given that, Fangio is incompetent as well.

Yeah, it wasn't Because Reid and Bethea were playing at a high level when Ward was a rookie.
Originally posted by NCommand:
From Matt Barrows:

Amen to that! Ward is gonna be a stud at FS. This probly means Reid moves to SS with Tartt as the backup and it should mean the end of Bethea's time in SF. No way we pay him his salary as a 3rd/4th string S. Hopefully we can get a 7th rounder for him.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
From Matt Barrows:

link?

I don't see it on his twitter.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article134889709.html (last sentence of article)

Originally posted by Luckycharms:
From Matt Barrows:

Amen to that! Ward is gonna be a stud at FS. This probly means Reid moves to SS with Tartt as the backup and it should mean the end of Bethea's time in SF. No way we pay him his salary as a 3rd/4th string S. Hopefully we can get a 7th rounder for him.
The niners are not going to get rid of him so fast as you wish. The off season is long and you never know what can happen. Plus we have cap space, so I don't see it happening. Not until preseason, when we know ours are all healthy and another team gets desperate cause of injury. Plus we have to see if there will be someone we draft or sign first.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Personally have yet to be impressed with Ward at all in 3 seasons. Durability is an issue and aside from a few "solid" games, he's never shown anything close to a first round pick or true talent.

Truth!

Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Personally have yet to be impressed with Ward at all in 3 seasons. Durability is an issue and aside from a few "solid" games, he's never shown anything close to a first round pick or true talent.

Truth!

Injuries hurt his development a little, but he's been asked to play inside and out along with having a different defensive system every yr he's been in the league...also imo they haven't played him at his natural poisition which is safety.

He was the 30th pick, not a top 10 CB draft pick...he's been solid and far from a reason the defense has struggled.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:

Truth!

Injuries hurt his development a little, but he's been asked to play inside and out along with having a different defensive system every yr he's been in the league...also imo they haven't played him at his natural poisition which is safety.

He was the 30th pick, not a top 10 CB draft pick...he's been solid and far from a reason the defense has struggled.

People really do not understand what we did to him. We took a roaming, play making FS and turned him into a slot CB. That's a night and day change in positions. One, all the action is in front of you 20 yards deep...the other, you're playing with your back to the QB as you start at the LOS. Then we moved him outside where it's a mix of both and learning to jam press and using the sidelines. He even played a couple games at FS.

Now, finally, if true, you're about to see Ward in his natural play making position where he'll be a central focus of the defense. The dude is a film junky too. He's already a good read and react player but the film study will put him over the top.

I have a feeling he's excited to get back to FS and if they pair him with his BFF in Tartt (Kam Chancellor role; great fit for him), we could see a young, transformed backfield.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2017 at 6:55 AM ]
People really do not understand what we did to him. We took a roaming, play making FS and turned him into a slot CB. That's a night and day change in positions. One, all the action is in front of you 20 yards deep...the other, you're playing with your back to the QB as you start at the LOS. Then we moved him outside where it's a mix of both and learning to jam press and using the sidelines. He even played a couple games at FS.

Now, finally, if true, you're about to see Ward in his natural play making position where he'll be a central focus of the defense. The dude is a film junky too. He's already a good read and react player but the film study will put him over the top.

I have a feeling he's excited to get back to FS and if they pair him with his BFF in Tartt (Kam Chancellor role; great fit for him), we could see a young, transformed backfield.

Couldn't agree more! I wouldn't mind spending a mid rd pick on a hard hitting SS either...josh jones is 6-2 215 out of nc state, Obi Melifonwu from Ucon is like 6-4 219 and really stood out at the senior week...John Cyprien is a FA and was a stud vs the run as well (worked with our DC).

We got options which is nice
Couldn't agree more! I wouldn't mind spending a mid rd pick on a hard hitting SS either...josh jones is 6-2 215 out of nc state, Obi Melifonwu from Ucon is like 6-4 219 and really stood out at the senior week...John Cyprien is a FA and was a stud vs the run as well (worked with our DC).

Those are excellent references and most importantly, great scheme fits...that should be our team mantra this year...scheme fits!

I've got free agency covered but I lean on you guys for the draft.
  • titan
  • Veteran

Those are excellent references and most importantly, great scheme fits...that should be our team mantra this year...scheme fits!

I've got free agency covered but I lean on you guys for the draft.

No more happy WR skipping across the field.
Share 49ersWebzone