LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DJamhour:
There was this dude named Benwikere.. he was rated like a top 3-4 corner according to PFF. He played slot for Carolina they moved him outside the following year and got roasted game after game and got cut..

Not saying it's the exact same but let's put this guy where he belongs and see how he performs

Seriously. Dude was a beast at FS. I don't mind him outside where he can focus 100% on that job. But asking him this year to play outside and then slide inside to the slot with NO safety help is just stupid IMHO.

For the love of God, just put him where we ALL know he's going to find the most success.

Robinson --- Ward --- Tartt --- Johnson

Totally agree! While I think he can play the outside he's a FS...why the hell not get him back there? Brock needs to get benched yesterday and put Johnson and Robinson out there to see what we got.

This drat is stocked at CB (even though I'd like to go the FA route) I like Tankersley or King in the 3rd-4th (possible move up)...there's top 50 CB picks to be had and some will fall thru the cracks.

Robinson and draft pick/FA on the outside, Redmond in the slot, and Ward/Reid/Tartt as our safeties.

Why in the world is it that hard lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:
There was this dude named Benwikere.. he was rated like a top 3-4 corner according to PFF. He played slot for Carolina they moved him outside the following year and got roasted game after game and got cut..

Not saying it's the exact same but let's put this guy where he belongs and see how he performs

Seriously. Dude was a beast at FS. I don't mind him outside where he can focus 100% on that job. But asking him this year to play outside and then slide inside to the slot with NO safety help is just stupid IMHO.

For the love of God, just put him where we ALL know he's going to find the most success.

Totally agree! While I think he can play the outside he's a FS...why the hell not get him back there? Brock needs to get benched yesterday and put Johnson and Robinson out there to see what we got.

This drat is stocked at CB (even though I'd like to go the FA route) I like Tankersley or King in the 3rd-4th (possible move up)...there's top 50 CB picks to be had and some will fall thru the cracks.

Robinson and draft pick/FA on the outside, Redmond in the slot, and Ward/Reid/Tartt as our safeties.

Seriously, Ward was the best safety in the class. Put him at f**king safety. f**k. Tartt is a solid ss. Dante Johnson needs to start on the outside permanently with Robinson. Why do we see this and the coach or GM cannot or refuses to make these changes, yet they bench tiller. Wow.

Get rush out there on passing downs. f**k!
Originally posted by elguapo:

Seriously, Ward was the best safety in the class. Put him at f**king safety. f**k. Tartt is a solid ss. Dante Johnson needs to start on the outside permanently with Robinson. Why do we see this and the coach or GM cannot or refuses to make these changes, yet they bench tiller. Wow.

Get rush out there on passing downs. f**k!

I've said from the beginning of the year that DJ should've been our starting CB. Or at least they should've had him starting against the teams that had big WRs. I agree with Ward as well, but what would've they done with Reid then? The players and coaches all like Reid, would've been hard to bench him.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
I've said from the beginning of the year that DJ should've been our starting CB. Or at least they should've had him starting against the teams that had big WRs. I agree with Ward as well, but what would've they done with Reid then? The players and coaches all like Reid, would've been hard to bench him.

Put Reid at SS hell they had him down near the line of scrimmage as a hybrid LB at yr. Make Ward the ball-hawk FS

Put Reid at SS hell they had him down near the line of scrimmage as a hybrid LB at yr. Make Ward the ball-hawk FS

That's true. He's basically been playing like a SS this year.
That's true. He's basically been playing like a SS this year.

Get bethea and his slow ass out of here.
Every freaking year, we see, as fans from our couch, similar personnel choices and moves. Last year it was Martin, Devey and Pears with Tiller and Brown. We're seeing the same thing with Beadles/Tiller now; Tiller is much more powerful inside for Kelly's own system. Johnson is just a gamer. Period. Maybe he's not the sharpest tool in the shed but we play man anyhow...let he and Robinson do what they do best and if they lose a battle here and there THEN adjust. Let Ward do what he does best; play FS. And let Bethea and Brock do what they do best...warm the bench and be solid depth and good leaders for our young players during this rebuild. Every year, from Harbaugh to Tomsula to Kelly, we're wondering the same things when it comes to personnel.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 5, 2016 at 1:46 PM ]
  • kaynj
  • Veteran

Wow this is exactly what I was thinking while driving there is absolutely no reason this should not be the starting line up in our secondary. Ward should be free safety. I remember looking at his college film and most of his big boom plays came from the safety spot. This coaching staff is killing me and the reason why we suck so bad is because they won't do the obvious. Everytime I see Johnson out there playing he does well. Robinson is one of the few guys that hustles and plays hard and plays physical on every play and he's about a hundred and eighty-five pounds. Tartt is always chasing someone down destroying receivers that come over the middle of the field. The fact that they keep playing Brock is beyond me get his you-know-what off the field off the roster please! #some1savemyniners
Every freaking year, we see, as fans from our couch, similar personnel choices and moves. Last year it was Martin, Devey and Pears with Tiller and Brown. We're seeing the same thing with Beadles/Tiller now; Tiller is much more powerful inside for Kelly's own system. Johnson is just a gamer. Period. Maybe he's not the sharpest tool in the shed but we play man anyhow...let he and Robinson do what they do best and if they lose a battle here and there THEN adjust. Let Ward do what he does best; play FS. And let Bethea and Brock do what they do best...warm the bench and be solid depth and good leaders for our young players during this rebuild. Every year, from Harbaugh to Tomsula to Kelly, we're wondering the same things when it comes to personnel.

That's how coaches are though. They like the vets, they feel like the owe the vets. A lot of coaches have that mentality sadly.

That's how coaches are though. They like the vets, they feel like the owe the vets. A lot of coaches have that mentality sadly.

Sadly, this is true.

I think one of the positives during the draft process with DJ was how smart he was lol? I mean Johnson played safety, outside, and inside in college.

Couldn't agree more, it's not rocket science yes we all sit on the couch and watch the games but shoot let's put our players in positions that play to their strengths ball-hawk safety in college...line him up as a ball-hawk safety in the pros. Brock isn't a press man it's clear as day. I mean you'd think our GM and coaching staff would get tired of watching him get toasted and losing those one on one battles.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He played safety and bit last year and was nothing special.

s**t I think they will both be long gone by the 3rd round
Originally posted by susweel:

I don't know if he can be a great safety, but he's not gonna make a great corner. Just move him back to his natural position and let him get reps there and see what happens.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

I don't know if he can be a great safety, but he's not gonna make a great corner. Just move him back to his natural position and let him get reps there and see what happens.

I wonder if baalke is making the coaches play him at CB.
Share 49ersWebzone