Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by KapToBoldin:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by KapToBoldin:
A strong safety that weighs 190? I guess I'm just not as thrilled about this pick as others.

A Nickel CB/FS/SS that weighs 193 pounds.

He is 5'10" 190. Either way he is undersized.

A certain safety in the pacific northwest that just got paid is 5'10" 202lbs right now.....

Just saying....

Not to mention...

Culliver 199 lbs.
Brock 197 lbs.
Tarell Brown 193 lbs.

Where do people get that he's undersized? That's the same size as every one of our CB's.
reading up on this pick and im liking him more and more.
Highlights showing his big hits are with the shoulder. Nice. No unnecessary penalties.
[ Edited by ace49ers on May 8, 2014 at 9:57 PM ]
This is a smart player, he knows his limits/politics, doesn't go shoulder first into people... if he tackles you... he goes for your knees... really hard.

He's nasty, he'll run his arm through the back of your knees, and that'll completely shut a person down, that's how Earl Thomas plays for his size...
good job Baalke!
For those questioning this move, the 49ers just knocked out two needs in one player.

Slot corner? Check.

Backup safety to develop and groom to replace Bethea? Check.

It was a good move to acquire a quality, versatile defensive back with a mean streak, I wouldn't consider it a reach either, what Philly did was a lot more of a reach IMO.

Also has several blocked kicks.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by thl408:
So a DB that can cover like a CB and roam like a FS? Sounds like Lott and Hanks. Not saying Ward is destined for that kind of success, but safeties that can man cover like a CB brings a lot of flexibility to what a defense can do.

Just to add. One thing a defense can do is stay in their base personnel even when the offense brings in a 3WR set. If Ward comes up to cover, the 49ers don't lose any run defense by staying in their 3-4.

Good call.

Yeah, excellent point. Predator, Stacy, and Ellington in our division
Originally posted by Crown:
we almost had a webzone mutiny when Aldon was selected. i was there.

what a fine day that was
Heres the plan I think Baalke has:
let him play slot corner this year while bethea takes the reigns of SS. Then in 2015 he will take over the SS, judging on bethea's play.

We will have two amazing cover safeties that can hit bigger than their size. I see ward as similar player to reid but reid is bigger. So reid will probably stay closer to the LOS while ward stays deep. Its all part of the plan of moving a single high safety defense. I believe this was Baalke's plan all along
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
A certain safety in the pacific northwest that just got paid is 5'10" 202lbs right now.....

Just saying....

Its not unthinkable to assume that Ward will put on some more weight with an NFL lifting program either.

No, it's impossible. Never been done before in the history of the sport.

he looks nasty , ballhawk
49ers didn't pick Ward, he picked them.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlnpMN_CcAABBSJ.jpg

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 8, 2014 at 10:06 PM ]
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Heres the plan I think Baalke has:
let him play slot corner this year while bethea takes the reigns of SS. Then in 2015 he will take over the SS, judging on bethea's play.

We will have two amazing cover safeties that can hit bigger than their size. I see ward as similar player to reid but reid is bigger. So reid will probably stay closer to the LOS while ward stays deep. Its all part of the plan of moving a single high safety defense. I believe this was Baalke's plan all along

Yup, agree! You now have all the versatility in the world to play press, off-coverage or single-high. And don't forget, this will finally be Baalke/Donatell's hand-picked secondary and Fangio is going to have a field day dialing up coverage schemes now. We actually have CB's and S's who can blitz now too.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM ]
I am disapointed with this pick. Not so much the player, but where we drafted him at in the first. I think we coulda traded back and still got him and got additional picks. I do not know anything about Ward but he seems like a good football player. I will trust Harbaalke because their track record of drafting of defensive players is solid. I hope we can snag either Matthews or Moncrief in Round 2.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
So a DB that can cover like a CB and roam like a FS? Sounds like Lott and Hanks. Not saying Ward is destined for that kind of success, but safeties that can man cover like a CB brings a lot of flexibility to what a defense can do.

Just to add. One thing a defense can do is stay in their base personnel even when the offense brings in a 3WR set. If Ward comes up to cover, the 49ers don't lose any run defense by staying in their 3-4.

Good call.

Yeah, excellent point. Predator, Stacy, and Ellington in our division

Here's a Vic Fangio interview where he hits on that particular topic.

Q. Is that because maybe defending the run in the nickel has been kind of a struggle so far?
A: "Not necessarily. We always like to mix the base in there some against three wide receiver sets."

So maybe he does it just to do it. But a benefit to doing it (staying in base versus 3WR) is not losing run defense, no doubt. SEA will do this to their opponents (run the ball from 3WR personnel).
Share 49ersWebzone