LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 374 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
A strong safety that weighs 190? I guess I'm just not as thrilled about this pick as others.
[ Edited by KapToBoldin on May 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM ]
Originally posted by KapToBoldin:
A strong safety that weighs 190? I guess I'm just not as thrilled about this pick as others.

A Nickel CB/FS/SS that weighs 193 pounds.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He is 5'10" 190. Either way he is undersized.
  • thl408
So a DB that can cover like a CB and roam like a FS? Sounds like Lott and Hanks. Not saying Ward is destined for that kind of success, but safeties that can man cover like a CB brings a lot of flexibility to what a defense can do.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I didn't hear a single person on TV even call this guy a reach, I don't understand where that's coming from?

He's not a popular or sexy name so a bunch of people predictably freaked out and began calling him a "reach" as a defensive mechanism because if they don't know his name, he obviously can't be good.

Exactly. How many people here were pissed we didn't draft Bacari Rambo last year? How did he end up doing?
  • Disp
  • Veteran

He'll be a cornerback here, which he also played a year of in college.

hes gonna gain 8 to 10 lbs. So relax...

He will probably put a little weight on anyways has he matures. In 2-3 years he will probably float around 200lb.

A certain safety in the pacific northwest that just got paid is 5'10" 202lbs right now.....

Just saying....
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on May 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:
So a DB that can cover like a CB and roam like a FS? Sounds like Lott and Hanks. Not saying Ward is destined for that kind of success, but safeties that can man cover like a CB brings a lot of flexibility to what a defense can do.

Just to add. One thing a defense can do is stay in their base personnel even when the offense brings in a 3WR set. If Ward comes up to cover, the 49ers don't lose any run defense by staying in their 3-4.

I think the 9ers play nickle 62% of the time and with Bowman out they may align into a 3-3-5 more often. Ward is going to make it even more difficult to read their defense.
  • thl408
Originally posted by awol36:
hes gonna gain 8 to 10 lbs. So relax...

He smile for the camera on the way to a pick 6?
Originally posted by thl408:

If there is one thing i put total faith in about Baalke, its his ability to scout DB. Now go get desir and our secondary is set for a long time.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
A certain safety in the pacific northwest that just got paid is 5'10" 202lbs right now.....

Just saying....

Its not unthinkable to assume that Ward will put on some more weight with an NFL lifting program either.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
we almost had a webzone mutiny when Aldon was selected. i was there.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I didn't hear a single person on TV even call this guy a reach, I don't understand where that's coming from?

cause he isn't what most guys wanted.

Not a reach lol.
Share 49ersWebzone