LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

All22 look at all 50 Touchdowns

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Just to have something else to talk about besides off the field player issues and contracts, I thought it'd be fun to look at all 50 touchdowns that the 49ers scored this season. I'll start this today with no end date in sight, while taking a break to soak up the excitement of the upcoming draft.

This play is designed to attack the sideline defender at the top of the screen with a high-low read for Kap. VD will provide the high read. Boldin will run the underneath out route hoping to draw the attention of the blue defender and act as the low read.

GB: cover3 shell while blitzing (rushing 6)

Protection against the blitz is solid as Gore and Miller help to pick up the additional pass rushers. Kap completes his dropback and keys the blue defender. Cover3 shell with just 2 underneath zone defenders since extra defenders were committed to the blitz.

The blue defender is stretched and has decided to stay close to Boldin. With VD winning outside leverage on the middle safety, Kap takes the shot to VD, but must lead him with the pass. Kap is mid windup.

The ball is in the air and the blue defender can only watch. He's looking up at the ball.

Kap leads VD perfectly with the pass.

Good blitz pickup. Good playcall. Good pass. TOUCHDOWN!
  • thl408
This play looks designed to get Boldin the ball on an underneath crosser as KW and VD look to clear the underneath area. I think GB is in cover2 man.

The CB lined up over Boldin has decided not to follow Boldin. KW ends up setting a pick on that CB. The CB lined up over KW follows KW. This results in two CBs on KW. The blue defender reads the play and jumps Boldin's crossing route.

Boldin just caught the ball and the blue defender is attempting a diving tackle.

Boldin slips the tackle. TOUCHDOWN!
  • thl408

49ers use the Jumbo package as Snyder and Kilgore check in as the second and third TEs. Miller and Gore are in the backfield.

Kilgore and Iupati pull to the right as Kap fakes the handoff to Gore. VD fakes a block and slips off the defender. All this to sell the run.

The CB is looking at Miller because that is his assignment. This means the blue circled defender is supposed to cover VD. Instead, the blue circle has bit hard on the run fake.

Miller's defender follows his assignment, but VD's defender is nowhere to be found. Kap is mid windup.

Kap and VD play catch. LOL at Gore. TOUCHDOWN!
[ Edited by thl408 on May 6, 2014 at 1:06 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I like watching the replays too since I didn't record them.
What a terrific idea...literally, just watched the first TD seconds ago (rewatching a few games today) and this TD really highlighted the designs to attack a quadrant on the If-Then concepts you have noted. Great idea!

I wonder how many were AR's, PS's and ad libs!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
  • thl408

Jumbo package with Kilgore and Snyder in.

Kilgore and Iupati pull to the right. So far, it looks like touchdown #3 from the packers' perspective.

Gore already has the ball. The blue defender thinks this might be a pass and stays back in coverage. Either that, it he sees Iupati and Kilgore coming and want no piece of that.

Iupati SMASH!

Perhaps #43 could have made a tackle on Gore. A GB helmet goes flying. Was that from Iupati's block?
TOUCHDOWN!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
First play (post #1) aligned in a run formation and they pass out of it. Looked like the defense was blitzing. I can't tell if they were run blitzing or pass blitzing but it was a great all around pickup of the blitz to buy time for Colin to throw the TD.

2nd play. (Post #2) I love how the pass protection was set up. Gore going to the middle and the O Line knew they had help to the inside so they lined up and took an inside position and rode their guys to the outside. Gore releases and draws in the ILB and was it Quan that got free?

3r play, (Post #3) loved the play, but again it starts off as a play action pass. Our inside run game has to be top of the line this year for that play pass to work consistently. I'm really looking forward to Lattimore gearing up and just blowing people out of the water this year with his run talent. I really look for Marcus to force Gore to 2nd string this year. I hope it happens.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Play 4 post #7, this play illustrates why vision is more important than explosion and acceleration in this power run offense.
  • thl408

12 Personnel (1RB/2TE). Bethea is the safety in the middle of the field (deepest safety).

Kap dropsback and gives a pump fake.

It's a draw play to Hunter. Goodwin quickly gets to the second level to look for downfield blocking. Celek does the same. For where Hunter is going, it's 5 defenders versus 3 blockers.

The defender blocked by Vance needs to play contain and force the run inside. The blue defender takes a bad angle (it's not Bethea). Bethea is directly above the blue circle. Hunter makes a cut and the two defensive mistakes will make the difference.

TOUCHDOWN! (black&white on plays that are long)

• thl408

It's 3rd and 19. The 49ers see a potential blitz coming. Basic route combo to Kap's right designed to get the slot WR room to operate along the sidelines.

Baldwin clears his man. Boldin (slot) makes a nice cut and wins outside leverage against his defender. Some yellow room to secure the catch. Kap is mid windup.

Boldin just made the catch. The blue safety gets slightly caught up with his own teammate. Kaps led Boldin with the pass which gives the play RAC potential.

Boldin tight wires the sideline.

TOUCHDOWN!

(thanks Furlow for posting this gif)

• thl408

49ers will pull Iupati while manning up their blocks. The blue defender is not accounted for. Boldin and a CB are lined up to the left side of the formation, but do not factor into this play.

Snyder and ADavis wall off everything to the left. Iupati comes in with a head of steam and pushes that defender from his assigned gap. The blue defender has decided to get behind his own team mate and removes himself from the play. Orange safety gets caught too shallow and has noticed his bad angle to the play.

Good line blocking with a bad angle by the deep safety allows Gore to take it to the house. TOUCHDOWN!

This is so awesome you are doing this. Boldin's td vs stl is just part of the reason I've had a man crush on him since his FSU days
  • thl408

49ers run a variation of the Spot play. Miller and Boldin run the Curl-Flat concept. Miller and VD run the Smash concept. Snder acting as the second TE. Rams come with cover1 man. Boldin is in motion towards the left side of the formation. He's running hard trying to out flank his defender (#21 seen following Boldin).

As Kap is dropping back, his first read is Boldin to the flats.

Kap sees this and decides not to pull the trigger to Boldin.

Kap looks to VD on the corner route. Because there is a deep safety in the middle of the field, #27 must do a better job funneling VD towards the middle. Instead, he gives up outside leverage to VD while putting up zero fight. If a defender is even and flat footed versus VD, he has already lost. VD takes the outside leverage and breaks to his corner route.

Kap is mid windup and needs to lead VD with the pass. The pass will be caught at the yellow star.

Outstretched arms, VD is led perfectly. TOUCHDOWN!

#8 is a great play all the way around. Formation, concept and execution are all great. I love how kaep held it just long enough for rams db Jenkins to fully take the flat.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone