There are 270 users in the forums

2014 Season Opener: 49ers V Cowboys

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
You give Harbaugh 5 months to prepare for a game and there's no way in hell he's losing it

Ive always believed this too. That's why I wanted Seattle in Seattle week 1

The NFL would never do that because we NFL fans are sooo starved for football, we'd be all over BUF vs. JAX for week one. They'll save the juicy games for when they actually start meaning something towards the end of the year.

2 games vs seattle after late november. they're waiting for bowman to be back and after whatever suspension aldon smith serves. they want as many great players on the field as there can be.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
You give Harbaugh 5 months to prepare for a game and there's no way in hell he's losing it

Ive always believed this too. That's why I wanted Seattle in Seattle week 1

The NFL would never do that because we NFL fans are sooo starved for football, we'd be all over BUF vs. JAX for week one. They'll save the juicy games for when they actually start meaning something towards the end of the year.

2 games vs seattle after late november. they're waiting for bowman to be back and after whatever suspension aldon smith serves. they want as many great players on the field as there can be.

Yes, and they're banking on both of those games being pivotal, which is likely.
I'm glad we don't face Seattle until late in the reg season. Who knows how long Aldon will be out due to an expected suspension and Bowman will miss half the season most likely, Will be nice to have both those guys on the field against Seattle.

Its hard to believe we have not beaten Dallas since December 2002 (Garcia threw winning TD to Owens with under a minute left). We have played 3 times since then (05,08,2011) and Pukes have won all three.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
0-1
I expect it to be 50/50 with Niner fans at their stadium kinda like when Dallas played at Candlestick park 3 years ago and it was filled with cowboy fans

theres gonna be hella niner fans at jerrys world
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

I will never forget that game. In the fall of 95 my buddy's dad was an assistant coach for a local middle school football team and told us the Niners were going to use their field and facilities on the day before their game against Dallas. I dressed in khaki pants and a long sleeve dress shirt with a small Niners emblem on the pocket and showed up early to the field. The crowd that had gathered was kept pretty far away from practice/walk thru but i was able to sneak in with the assistant coaches, equipment guys etc cuz i was dressed like many of them were. It was awesome.

I stood on the sideline during practice and watched Young and Grbac throw passes to Rice. Rice ran routes right down the sideline in front of me.

I had one of those disposable cameras in my pocket but knew the second I started using it they would know i was just a fan and would kick me out. I waited until i knew practice was almost over to start snapping pics. Steve Young, Bart Oates, Ken Norton Jr, Jerry Rice, Bryant Young, and George Seifert signed a football for my youngest brother at the team hotel later that afternoon.

The Niners had lost two consecutive games and most everyone expected Dallas to beat us and get revenge for the previous season NFC Title loss. I remember Emmitt Smith and Irvin going on ESPN and guaranteeing victory. Then with several players out due to injury (including Young) we destroyed Dallas. It was a great day!
I think we all remember Irvin saying after the game..THEY ARE A BETTER TEAM THEN US!

It was sweet.
Hey fellow NINER FANS long time forum reader thought I'd finally sign up and post.. the Only thing that worries me is the fact Jerry Jones will have a aneurysm or heart attack due to the fact Patrick Willis gives the wanna QB the Cowgirls have a season ending injury game 1.. though it would be interesting to watch happen
Originally posted by nflguy49:
I'm glad we don't face Seattle until late in the reg season. Who knows how long Aldon will be out due to an expected suspension and Bowman will miss half the season most likely, Will be nice to have both those guys on the field against Seattle.

Its hard to believe we have not beaten Dallas since December 2002 (Garcia threw winning TD to Owens with under a minute left). We have played 3 times since then (05,08,2011) and Pukes have won all three.

We should of won that game in 2011. I forgot who the goat was. Delanie?
Originally posted by 49erFF4evr:
Hey fellow NINER FANS long time forum reader thought I'd finally sign up and post.. the Only thing that worries me is the fact Jerry Jones will have a aneurysm or heart attack due to the fact Patrick Willis gives the wanna QB the Cowgirls have a season ending injury game 1.. though it would be interesting to watch happen
He drinks like a fish I hear so he will be okay. Besides if he says anything stupid Rich Dalrymple will clean up for him like he did with "I want me some glory hole"

Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Ah man, I remember that game. Goat #1 was the refs. Called a BS offsides penalty on Brooks that led to a Dallas TD right before halftime. Should have been 14-0 heading into the 2nd half. Goat #2 was Madeiu Williams (sp?) starting for us at FS. Totally screwed up his assignments and took bad angles. Miles Austin scored 3 TDs on us.

We're going to destroy Dallas this time. If there is one common theme among teams who beat us...they play good defense and match our physicality. Cowboys D was historically awful last year and have done nothing to fix the problem. Their team is soft. They return the same coaching and players, minus Sean Lee and DeMarcus Ware. We own all these one-dimensional pass heavy teams that play no D.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM ]

The goat was the player who gave up the long pass to that no name WR that put the cowboys at the 1 yard line in OT. Can't remember who it was I think it was Madieu Williams
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Jul 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM ]
  • thl408
About the DAL defense, they have a new defensive coordinator (Marinelli) that will supposedly keep them mainly a cover2 zone defense. He coaching roots are with Monte Kiffen.

From 2010-12, Marinelli served as coordinator for the Chicago Bears after his stint as the head coach of the Detroit Lions. He had incredibly successful defenses. They forced a ton of turnovers (59 fumbles, 65 interceptions), scored 13 touchdowns and, most importantly, allowed the fourth-fewest points (904).
In 2012, the Bears had four Pro Bowl players in cornerbacks Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman, defensive end Julius Peppers and defensive tackle Henry Melton. They had a league-high 44 takeaways and finished in the top 10 in rush defense, pass defense and points allowed.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4724359/a-look-at-rod-marinellis-scheme

Marinelli will not always just call a straight Man or straight Zone. He will frequently mix it – meaning he may have the CB's line up in Man but have the LB's in Zone.
http://sportdfw.com/2014/07/21/examining-rod-marinellis-cover-2-zone-defense/

They just signed Melton this offseason, but he's coming off an ACL tear. Peppers and Melton were the main players in generating pressure with a 4 man front in CHI. DAL doesn't have anyone like a 2012 JPeppers.

Their CBs:

Carr, after all, was signed to a five-year $50.1 million deal in 2012. Claiborne was drafted sixth overall that same year after the Cowboys traded up for the rights to choose him. They're expected to make major contributions. But is it really that shocking that Claiborne and Carr underperformed last season, considering they specialize in man coverage while toiling in a zone-based, safety-centric scheme?
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/05/several-recent-dallas-cowboys-decisions-indicate-organizational-myopia.html/
Originally posted by thl408:
About the DAL defense, they have a new defensive coordinator (Marinelli) that will supposedly keep them mainly a cover2 zone defense. He coaching roots are with Monte Kiffen.

From 2010-12, Marinelli served as coordinator for the Chicago Bears after his stint as the head coach of the Detroit Lions. He had incredibly successful defenses. They forced a ton of turnovers (59 fumbles, 65 interceptions), scored 13 touchdowns and, most importantly, allowed the fourth-fewest points (904).
In 2012, the Bears had four Pro Bowl players in cornerbacks Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman, defensive end Julius Peppers and defensive tackle Henry Melton. They had a league-high 44 takeaways and finished in the top 10 in rush defense, pass defense and points allowed.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4724359/a-look-at-rod-marinellis-scheme

Marinelli will not always just call a straight Man or straight Zone. He will frequently mix it – meaning he may have the CB's line up in Man but have the LB's in Zone.
http://sportdfw.com/2014/07/21/examining-rod-marinellis-cover-2-zone-defense/

They just signed Melton this offseason, but he's coming off an ACL tear. Peppers and Melton were the main players in generating pressure with a 4 man front in CHI. DAL doesn't have anyone like a 2012 JPeppers.

Their CBs:

Carr, after all, was signed to a five-year $50.1 million deal in 2012. Claiborne was drafted sixth overall that same year after the Cowboys traded up for the rights to choose him. They're expected to make major contributions. But is it really that shocking that Claiborne and Carr underperformed last season, considering they specialize in man coverage while toiling in a zone-based, safety-centric scheme?
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/05/several-recent-dallas-cowboys-decisions-indicate-organizational-myopia.html/

Thanks for the info. Given the fact that Monte Kiffin started 2013 as their D coordinator, hiring his disciple Marinelli seems like a lateral move to me. They really seemed convinced that the Tampa 2 is the way to go, and Marinelli will do a better job. We'll see. I think the problem had more to do with the talent not fitting the scheme. They need a few good drafts before that defense will be any good.

The goat was the player who gave up the long pass to that no name WR that put the cowboys at the 1 yard line in OT. Can't remember who it was I think it was Madieu Williams

Oh yeah that reality show WR! How embarassing!
Share 49ersWebzone