LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 459 users in the forums

The Rhetoric: Baalke Can't Draft WR's - Enough Already!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When a storyline is repeated often enough, sometimes it just becomes a stereotype that is accepted as truth, whether it is actually true or not. Personally, I am tired of the oft-repeated assertion that Trent Baalke cannot evaluate and draft wide receivers. This is garbage!

It is true that Baalke has not drafted a starting WR since he became the GM. However, he has only drafted 4 WR's since 2010, and only 1 was over a 4th round draft pick. Let me reiterate that - he only invested 1 premium draft pick on a WR since his promotion to GM. That pick, AJ Jenkins, was a bust, and in a sense there is no excuse for that (other than the fact that it happens to literally every GM in the history of the game...) AJ was a high risk/ high reward of a player. He had a HIGH ceiling. On the flip side of that coin, there was always a SIGNIFICANT risk that he would be a bust. Not every high risk/high reward type player will pan out as hoped. Unfortunately, as every 49er fan is reminded of (either directly or indirectly) every time the discussion of drafting a WR comes up, AJ Jenkins didn't pan out.

Now, because of that 1 high risk draft pick that went bad, the storyline is that Trent Baalke cannot draft WR's. I suppose you could also say that he cannot evaluate and draft RB's either. Or TE's. But that doesn't fit in with the storyline. Never mind that Patton appears to be a very good selection in the 4th round last year.

Stuff happens with high draft picks all the time. Until Baalke misses on two, three, or four premium picks on WR's I am not going to buy into the hyperbole.
Don't you know? Jumping to conclusions based inefficient and insufficient data is sport around here. Jenkins and Patton - that's a population of two. Certainly when you take into account the random variable of injury, that's more than enough information to see a legitimate standard deviation and draw conclusions about Baalke's ability to judge receiver talent, don't you think?
Of note: Today, GM Trent Baalke will be first member of #49ers brass to speak, on record, about team’s recent spate of off-the-field issues.
  • thl408
If AJ Jenknins becomes a serviceable player for the Chiefs, I'm going to really start pointing the finger at the WR coach and his inability to develop.
Originally posted by thl408:
If AJ Jenknins becomes a serviceable player for the Chiefs, I'm going to really start pointing the finger at the WR coach and his inability to develop.

I am annoyed that they sent Morton to Latimer's pro day. This is the same guy who was pounding the table to draft his guy Ronald Johnson who did not even make it out of camp. Morton is the weak link in the coaching staff until he proves otherwise.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Baalke has brought in talent at WR. It's then up to the coaching staff to develop that talent and then up to the coordinators to translate that talent to the field. Your fridge can be full of fresh food. Meal quality is largely determined by the chef.

But there is really know way to put the blame squarely on the staff or the gm in my opinion. I think you gotta blame GM, coaching staff and the player. Just b/c you bring in a talented guy doesn't mean the staff can always get that potential out of him. Some players just don't push themselves like they should, or simply just aren't good enough. And some players might not be given the most opportunities to prove themselves. A chef can't make a good salad with rotten tomatoes.
I think they hit on Patton, but sadly he won't get the reps because of our coaching staff's fascination with old, over the hill receivers.

I think overall they do a great job, but at some point they have to let their preference for veterans go (see: Rogers, Carlos).

The young guys will never mature if they don't get the reps.
Baalke has brought in talent at WR. It's then up to the coaching staff to develop that talent and then up to the coordinators to translate that talent to the field. Your fridge can be full of fresh food. Meal quality is largely determined by the chef.

We have developed at the WR position. Michael Crabtree is homegrown talent, and widely considered one of the best in the game. I also don't buy the excuse that our coaches are unable to develop WR talent. I call bull.
[ Edited by Wisconsin49erfan on Apr 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM ]
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 14m
RT @evansilva: ESPN's Mortensen suggests Mike Evans as trade-up target for 49ers. Mort hearing Niners "could be very aggressive in draft."

Surprised you didn't work Rice into that analogy somehow. lol

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
RT @evansilva: ESPN's Mortensen suggests Mike Evans as trade-up target for 49ers. Mort hearing Niners "could be very aggressive in draft."

Nice!
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Nice!
Was just about to post draft Mike Evans then! If we don't think we can sign MC15 longterm trade him now plus our first then go up and get Mike Evans. He immediately solves both our big play deep ball threat as well as our red zone threat. This guy requires double coverage at all times!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM ]
Its Morton who sucks
report: niners have hella picks and they will be active in the draft. is that really a surprise? lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
When a storyline is repeated often enough, sometimes it just becomes a stereotype that is accepted as truth, whether it is actually true or not. Personally, I am tired of the oft-repeated assertion that Trent Baalke cannot evaluate and draft wide receivers. This is garbage!

It is true that Baalke has not drafted a starting WR since he became the GM. However, he has only drafted 4 WR's since 2010, and only 1 was over a 4th round draft pick. Let me reiterate that - he only invested 1 premium draft pick on a WR since his promotion to GM. That pick, AJ Jenkins, was a bust, and in a sense there is no excuse for that (other than the fact that it happens to literally every GM in the history of the game...) AJ was a high risk/ high reward of a player. He had a HIGH ceiling. On the flip side of that coin, there was always a SIGNIFICANT risk that he would be a bust. Not every high risk/high reward type player will pan out as hoped. Unfortunately, as every 49er fan is reminded of (either directly or indirectly) every time the discussion of drafting a WR comes up, AJ Jenkins didn't pan out.

Now, because of that 1 high risk draft pick that went bad, the storyline is that Trent Baalke cannot draft WR's. I suppose you could also say that he cannot evaluate and draft RB's either. Or TE's. But that doesn't fit in with the storyline. Never mind that Patton appears to be a very good selection in the 4th round last year.

Stuff happens with high draft picks all the time. Until Baalke misses on two, three, or four premium picks on WR's I am not going to buy into the hyperbole.

I agree. Manningham, Moss, and some other free agent WR's that Baalke has brought here, have done decently here. As for Johnny Morton, Kyle and Crabs were developing nicely (before Kyle and Crabs both had that knee injury) and Patton has been improving. So on the talent acquisition side for WR's, I think Baalke isn't bad and Morton isn't bad - but he needs to improve.

The AJ Jenkins was truly a big mistake, and probably cost this team two super bowls in my opinion. Super bowls need two or more good consecutive drafts and a solid off season free agency. If you don't have something like that, you get 3 straight NFC CG's.

But if I'm going to dock him on the AJ Jenkins pick, then I have to credit him on the UDFA picks, for example, like Ian Willaims, Dobbs, Loony, and Wilhoit who made the team.
Share 49ersWebzone