LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

A very important trait our top 3 WRs share (Crabtree, Boldin, and Lloyd)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
None of them are extraordinarily tall, fast, or quick, but they all have that knack for making the spectacular catch.

I feel very confident in the ability of all three guys in going up for the ball and coming down with it. This makes it much easier on any QB, knowing they don't have to be as precise with their passes all the time. I think that is in large part why Harbaalke went out and got Boldin last year and Lloyd this year. They saw what Kap can do with a WR like Crabtree. Kap always has that option if a play isn't there to trust he can throw it up to one of these guys.. They all have fantastic ball skills, body control, leaping ability, strong hands, etc.

Of course throwing it up to Crabtree on the last plays of the past couple seasons didn't work out so well, but those were poor passes. Anyways, it's nice to have guys that you can trust to go up and snag a ball away from defenders. Now we just need a speedy quick guy that can stretch the field and this offense will be incredibly dynamic and have potential to be great.
Where is Q. Patton in all this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWZF6BtDlhQ

Minus the Dance. LOL
[ Edited by Constantine on Apr 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM ]
Who says Lloyd is a Niner top 3 receiver. He may not even make the final roster.
I think Lloyd and Patton are situation options.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Who says Lloyd is a Niner top 3 receiver. He may not even make the final roster.

I don't think he'll make it if he doesn't win the #3 role. No point in keeping a 33 year old with no ST ability on the bench. He has to be catching passes, or else he has no value.
Lloyd has had decent speed.
Good point by the OP, though. All 3 of these guys have very reliable hands and have shown the ability to make difficult catches. We've seen how important that trait can be to a QB who wants to push the ball downfield. Patton looks the same way. He made 2 really impressive grabs against AZ and CAR.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Lloyd could actually be productive in this offense, id just rather develop patton
They are all real slow and not very tall. That is true.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Lloyd could actually be productive in this offense, id just rather develop patton

If Patton can beat out Lloyd and a high draft pick for the #3 spot, then we know he's developing. All about competition, nothing should be handed to anybody.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They are all real slow and not very tall. That is true.

Lloyd is not slow. He has a career average of 15 ypc. When he was the featured receiver in Denver he average 18 yards per catch. That's impossible to do if you're slow. He's not a burner, but he's a very smooth athlete. Little to no wasted motion, which is just as important.
Patton will start over Lloyd and Lloyd is our backup WR while the rookie(s) we draft this year develop.

Im expecting a breakout year from Patton, IMO he was one of the most impressive WRs coming out that year and now he just needs to show it.
Patton> Lloyd
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Look at his resume. He is older and did take a year off, but he just had close to 1000 yards in 2012. At this point, I would say he projects to be the #3. If Patton, Baldwin, or a rookie unseat him and take his roster spot then great! But right now, none of those guys have the credentials that Lloyd has.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Compared to Joe Staley....
Share 49ersWebzone