There are 272 users in the forums

Best 49ers RB of all-time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Best 49ers RB of all-time?

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
You guys remember Eric Metcalf of the Browns? I want to say the 49ers wanted a player like that so that's why they got Carter. Also, Dave Meggett from the Giants. The 49ers were probably going for that scatback kind of player with return abilities.

That Carter pick reminds me a bit of the LMJ pick.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by no2morrows:
Harry Sydney.

Are you nominating him under the best running back part of this thread or the worst moment in 49ers history part?

And either way I raise you one Dexter Carter.
I never understood how you make a 1st round pick out of a 170 pound running back, that one baffles me to this day.

Mystery to me as well!

You guys remember Eric Metcalf of the Browns? I want to say the 49ers wanted a player like that so that's why they got Carter. Also, Dave Meggett from the Giants. The 49ers were probably going for that scatback kind of player with return abilities.
The thing was all the other guys who were not very tall were stocky and well built. Carter was short and skinny.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

That Carter pick reminds me a bit of the LMJ pick.
eric's dad was one of the most exciting backs in the nfl back in the 70's. when i was young and dumb i had two favorite teams in the niners and the cardiac cardinals. i remember the epic game they played in 76 when they were both 5-0, and you had the best offensive line in the nfl going up against the best front four in the gold rush. epic game. we won and i remember the stories of conrad dobler biting tommy hart
  • thl408
Originally posted by no2morrows:
Harry Sydney.

Are you nominating him under the best running back part of this thread or the worst moment in 49ers history part?

And either way I raise you one Dexter Carter.
I never understood how you make a 1st round pick out of a 170 pound running back, that one baffles me to this day.

Mystery to me as well!

The thing was all the other guys who were not very tall were stocky and well built. Carter was short and skinny.

Short is okay, but 170 for a RB is downright scrawny. He had major fumbling issues too. Anyway, yeah, bad 1st round pick.
Originally posted by Existence:
Hugh McElhenny, HOF.

If Ricky Waters would have stayed he would have been the standard for rb's here. Gore hands down though.
Just love wallowing in misery! So, off the top of my head, worst 49er moments in my history watching the team:

1. Roger Craig fumble against the Giants in 1990 -- by far the worst I've ever felt after a 49er loss.
2. Navarro Bowman's knee injury in the NFCCG and the subsequent rain of Hawk fan popcorn on our crestfallen hero, followed by the loss.
3. Lawrence Phillips missing the block and letting Arenas Williams essentially put Steve Young to sleep on the field, ending his career.
4. Garrison Hearst yanked from behind and pirouetting around his ankle bone against the Falcons in 1998.
5. Dallas coming in and shocking a good Niner team at the stick in 1992 - still see Jesse Sapolu on the bench staring blankly in the mud after the game.
6. Bringing in Dennis Erickson and Terry Donahue to lead the team.

So glad that this team has given us ten times the number of great moments!
FRANK THE TANK!
Just love wallowing in misery! So, off the top of my head, worst 49er moments in my history watching the team:

1. Roger Craig fumble against the Giants in 1990 -- by far the worst I've ever felt after a 49er loss.
2. Navarro Bowman's knee injury in the NFCCG and the subsequent rain of Hawk fan popcorn on our crestfallen hero, followed by the loss.
3. Lawrence Phillips missing the block and letting Arenas Williams essentially put Steve Young to sleep on the field, ending his career.
4. Garrison Hearst yanked from behind and pirouetting around his ankle bone against the Falcons in 1998.
5. Dallas coming in and shocking a good Niner team at the stick in 1992 - still see Jesse Sapolu on the bench staring blankly in the mud after the game.

You forgot a big one. Joe Montana getting his bell rung by a pass rusher, throwing a pick-six to Lawrence Taylor and being taken to the hospital while the Niners go one and done in the playoffs 49-3. The game included a play where Rice was behind all defenders on his way to a TD and simply dropped the ball for a touch-back. Watching that game was a form of torture. Montana was so hurt he spent the night in the hospital and didn't return on the team plane.
SF natives Al Cowlings and OJ Simpson hugging each other in front of a young, mullet-haired Joe Montana

Originally posted by crake49:
You forgot a big one. Joe Montana getting his bell rung by a pass rusher, throwing a pick-six to Lawrence Taylor and being taken to the hospital while the Niners go one and done in the playoffs 49-3. The game included a play where Rice was behind all defenders on his way to a TD and simply dropped the ball for a touch-back. Watching that game was a form of torture. Montana was so hurt he spent the night in the hospital and didn't return on the team plane.

1991? That's a good one (meaning a very painful moment...) I think he fumbled on the play though...
1991? That's a good one (meaning a very painful moment...) I think he fumbled on the play though...

No, I'm talking about the first playoff game of 1986 in Giants stadium. The horror, the horror....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

blowing a 28-16 fourth quarter lead to dallas in 1973,the firing of monte clark, the oj trade, second and goal from the five in the super bowl only to have a coach or coaches play not to win
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Garrison Hearst anyone?

One of my all time favorite Niners.
Originally posted by crake49:
It's hard for me to pick, because there have been a few real good ones. But, a 96-yard TD in overtime in which he sheds more than a few tacklers with straight arms? Are you kidding me?

I remember that play as if it was yesterday... I dont think I was touching the earth at all during that play. Man i was jumping.
Share 49ersWebzone