LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Best 49ers RB of all-time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Best 49ers RB of all-time?

Originally posted by crake49:
Steve Young would have had two weeks to prepare and he would have kicked azz in that game. It would have made a huge difference in his level of acceptance during the next few years in SF.

thats just homer logic. yes we'd all love to think as fans that would happen, but the fact is nobody really knows. 2 years later in 1992 the bills came in to sf and won, so who knows. also, that year there was 1 week between conf title games and sb game.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM ]
Pure RB...? It's Gore hands down.

Craig changed the position forever though - in large part due to Walsh's vision.

It's an impossible question to really answer, but Gore is the Best Running Back of our beloved franchise's history.
Joe "the jet" Perry had 4000 yards or something like that before the merger, those yards aren't counted in his total NFL stats.

He was the real deal, and the best RB to ever dawn the Red & Gold.

Hands down!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I don't know. I think that Niner team matched up with the Bills a lot better than the Giants did. But look, you're dealing with someone who is still bitter about those bogus calls at the end of the '83 NFC championship game in DC and still bitter about not catching that on-side kick by the Cowboys in '70. I'm not bitter about much of anything in my personal life so I guess I need to hold on to these comparably less important things to have some degree of bitterness for personal balance.

back in the day when i blamed officials for losses,, the calls vs the redskins in that game were just beyond horrid. thank you for bringing up the cowboy choke job in 73. the odd thing about that was that brodie came in off the bench the week before to replace spurrier and we won a come from behind game vs the vikings only to have the tables turned on us a week later in that awful fourth quarter vs the boys
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Steve Young would have had two weeks to prepare and he would have kicked azz in that game. It would have made a huge difference in his level of acceptance during the next few years in SF.

not sure about that. young could not win nfc title games vs the cowboys and he had more seasoning at the time. plus as we know from the giants game and all that year,,,,, roger craig had hit the wall and was not a good runner. we would have went into the super bowl with a great defense but no run game and a deer in the headlights steve young who had to,due to craigs inability, be more than just a game manager. to me that is number one on the list in niner history of "what ifs". what if we would have beat the giants,, what would young have done in the super bowl
Originally posted by crabman82:

thats just homer logic. yes we'd all love to think as fans that would happen, but the fact is nobody really knows. 2 years later in 1992 the bills came in to sf and won, so who knows. also, that year there was 1 week between conf title games and sb game.

Of course it's homer logic! What's your point? I'll never give up the belief that the Niners would have been the only team in history to three-peat! NEVER, do you hear me!

But, as far as the subject matter of this thread, the more I think about it, I have to go with Joe Perry. 5.2 yard average. Barely second in yardage despite 500 fewer carries. And, as glorydayz points out above, 4000 yards before the merger that aren't counted. I love Gore, I love Craig, but Joe The Jet Perry can't be ignored here.
This is morphing into The Worst Moment in 49ers History thread.

OJ trade?
[ Edited by English on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
This is morphing into The Worst Moment in 49ers History thread.

OJ trade?

two years before oj arrived we had delvin and wilbur.,,. we really fell fast
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Of course it's homer logic! What's your point? I'll never give up the belief that the Niners would have been the only team in history to three-peat! NEVER, do you hear me!

But, as far as the subject matter of this thread, the more I think about it, I have to go with Joe Perry. 5.2 yard average. Barely second in yardage despite 500 fewer carries. And, as glorydayz points out above, 4000 yards before the merger that aren't counted. I love Gore, I love Craig, but Joe The Jet Perry can't be ignored here.
crake has great points,,. had i been around to see perry i would probably give him the nod.
Originally posted by cciowa:
back in the day when i blamed officials for losses,, the calls vs the redskins in that game were just beyond horrid. thank you for bringing up the cowboy choke job in 73. the odd thing about that was that brodie came in off the bench the week before to replace spurrier and we won a come from behind game vs the vikings only to have the tables turned on us a week later in that awful fourth quarter vs the boys

I was at that game. People were already celebrating in the stands and with less than 2 minutes and an 11 point lead, it seemed okay. But that's why, 10 years later, when I was at a party and the Niners went ahead against them by 1 point on Clark's catch, everyone in the room was jumping up and down and I was still just sitting there paying attention. And sure enough, they almost came back on them again. If not for Eric Wright's horse collar tackle and the subsequent sack and fumble, the Cowboys would have done it to them again.

oops. Sorry, English. No more about bad memories.
I was at that game. People were already celebrating in the stands and with less than 2 minutes and an 11 point lead, it seemed okay. But that's why, 10 years later, when I was at a party and the Niners went ahead against them by 1 point on Clark's catch, everyone in the room was jumping up and down and I was still just sitting there paying attention. And sure enough, they almost came back on them again. If not for Eric Wright's horse collar tackle and the subsequent sack and fumble, the Cowboys would have done it to them again.

The frequently forgotten coda to The Catch.
oops. Sorry, English. No more about bad memories.

No problem. I was going to rename the thread!
Originally posted by English:
The frequently forgotten coda to The Catch.

Wow. Well put!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

that game is the reason i hate roger staubach , td pass to f**king ron sellers with seconds left for the win. if i recall he came in off the bench because we had b***h slapped craig morton all over field ?
Share 49ersWebzone