There are 208 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why does Baalke seem get a free pass from serious criticism?

• buck
  • Veteran
When Baalke was hired he got the exact opposite of a free pass.

If I recall his hiring was condemned more frequently that it was praised.

I would say that today Baalke and his efforts are generally respected.

Baalke has earned the respect he has been given.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is the point everyone ignores. 2010 was clearly Scott's board with Singletary allowed to have control by ownership

We do not know what Baalke did with the existing board left by Scott. Scott left, or was let go, shortly before the draft, but we do not know if Baalke made changes or adaptions to the board. If Baalke made any changes to that board, we do not know what they were or how major the changes were. We do not know if Baalke used the board as it stood.

The operative words being we do not know.

I clearly remember that Baalke was placed in charge of the draft. I do not remember anything said about Singletary given control (of the draft) by Jed York.

I will admit that my memory has been faulty at times, but I do know that prior to the draft it is difficult to gauge he veracity of what we hear from pundits, talking heads, and even from the team.

But, I will acknowledge that my memory has been faulty more than a few times.

We never know the full story so best guestimates are in order based on the little info we had. But you are correct.

That said, what we did know was that Baalke had very little time, if any at all, to restructure the board based on his research team (formally, the scouting department lead by Scott). Singletary was just hired and went on record as saying he wanted a team that punched others in the mouff...physical with an "f." So, the first two picks were Davis and Iupati in the first. While these picks could be Baalke-solo picks, it's pretty fair to assume, or at least expected, that these pics were viewed with Singletary's "vision" in mind. Then came the Mays pick and it could be seen in the war room Baalke losing his mind, naturally. Now, why would Baalke lose his mind over Singletary's pick if he had total control over the roster at that time? My guestimate is that one of the contigencies upon hiring Singletary was that he'd be allowed to draft his players that year esp. given the short amount of time we had b/c of Scott's departure and that the folllowing year, Baalke would assume his current position (total control). Control was an issue of contention with Nolan/Scott. So my guess is that Singletary was given the keys to the franchise for the interim until the FO was stable.

So it's hard to tease out the full secenario at that juncture but it's pretty apparent now what Baalke's role is...total control. The Baalke to Harbaugh and established scouting department, fiscal team, FA scouting teams, relationships with Jed and all position coaches, etc. is much more established and clear-cut than what it was back then (of which it was a train wreck).
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 22, 2014 at 12:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by Disp:
What's more impressive to me is every player that's been replaced in the past few years has been replaced by an upgrade. Baalke is the one cutting, trading, and not re-signing players.

Spikes - Bowman
Snyder/Rachal - Boone
Goldson - Reid
Rogers (who was an upgrade at the time) - Brock
Haralson - Aldon
Sopoaga - Dorsey
Williams - Boldin
Akers (who was an upgrade at the time) - Dawson
Smith - Kaepernick
Whoever was fullback before Miller (can't remember) - Miller

This is why the "window is closing" people kill me. Every personnel change and player that's been bumped has been replaced with a better player and made the team stronger. There isn't a single position that is replaced with a weaker player. You could perhaps argue going from Walker to McDonald was a downgrade, but let's see how McDonald does this season with a year under his belt.

THIS is a very very very good perspective. Any bets Bethea plays better than Whitner this year? Brock and Culliver/Wright/Draft pick play better than Rogers and Brown?

Of all the FA losses, Walker/Moss/Ginn were it. But Moss retired and Ginn and Walker wanted to be starters (can't blame them there). Also, what FA haven't the Niners gone after? They are very active and always offer very fair contracts to play for a Superbowl contender. In the end, the "big named" FA's choose the $ to play for crap teams such as the Titans, Raiders, Browns, Bucs, etc. Enough said...you can't hold that against the FO. There are many FO's that barely try in FA.

Well said
NCommand... Good to see you how are you

Good...how is life on the farm?
THIS is a very very very good perspective. Any bets Bethea plays better than Whitner this year? Brock and Culliver/Wright/Draft pick play better than Rogers and Brown?

I think that's a good bet - especially the Bethea part - more tackles and no drive-extending flags.
Originally posted by crake49:

I think that's a good bet - especially the Bethea part - more tackles and no drive-extending flags.

Fingers crossed!
Originally posted by Mojambo:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
1 proven player in 7 premium picks is hardly impressive. Michael is 3rd string. Same as LMJ. LMJ however has played well as a KR and averages over 4 1/2 yds per carry as a RB and people talk about him like he is a bust on this site so what's that make Michael? Either LMJ is too harshly judged or Michael isn't judged harshly enough. Also, it is still early to judge the seahawks 2013 draft but shouldn't the 49ers 2013 draft class get the same consideration? I know I would take our 2013 draft class over theirs even if you subtract our 1st rd pick because they didn't have one.

It's interesting that you cut it off after the 4th round, when that's when Schneider and Carroll make their best picks.

In 2011, post round 4 they got both starting corners (one an all-pro) and a Super Bowl MVP linebacker.

Quite a few impact players, I'd say.

Didn't feel like typing out all the names. Which one of our starting LB's would you trade them for their super stud LB? How about Bowman? Maybe Willis? He's a good player but he wouldn't be a starter on our team. We found a starting CB and it didn't even cost us a 7th rd pick. The seahawks made it to the superbowl because of 2 main factors.
A: the league has decided not to enforce the 1 chuck in the 1st 5 yards rule and allows their CB's to mug receivers and when they rarely call holding the penalty is a whopping 5 yards. It's supposed to be 1 chuck , not unlimited chucks in the 1st 5 yards.

B: their stadium is specifically designed to increase crowd noise making opposing teams wear ear plugs and go on silent counts.That affects the ability to get off on the ball and drive block for running plays, get into your pass blocking which gives their pass rushers a huge advantage. Imagine our pass rushers if the opposing O-line was half a step slower. No offsides, no audibles, their O-line looking back at the ball instead of at our rushers. In the past 2 years I believe they have lost 7 times as many games on the road as they have lost at home. Wow!

The seahawks Cb's wouldn't be as effective if they played on other teams. Take away the pass rush advantage they get at home and they would have to cover longer and would get beat more often even with the holding. Add to that the ability to run the ball better setting up better down and distances and play action passes. If they had the same record at home as they had on the road they wouldn't have even made it to the superbowl. We would have been the #1 seed, had a bye week and home field advantage. They would have played all of their playoff games on the road.

They have done a good job of team building but would you trade their last 4 drafts for ours?
I like Baalke. With Baalke at the GM helm we have gotten to three straight NFC chamionship games and one super bowl. Under his guidance we should go the fourth time and hopefully get to the super bowl and win it. So however he had done it, we got there. Now we need to get over the hump and get it done at least once and hopefully more than that. So I am in the Baalke camp, mistakes, weaknesses and all.
Where were we when we hired Baalke and where are we now? We went from losers to an elite team.

Add to that the way he manipulates a draft and he is doing a great job. Last year we moved up 13 slots in the 1st round for a 3rd round pick. That might be the single greatest move up in rd 1 in NFL history. I can't recall a team ever moving up 8 spots for a 3rd rounder.

In round 2 he moved back 6 slots and got a 3rd round pick, then moved back up 5 slots later in the round and payed a whopping 6th round pick. Nice.

The last GM we had that was as good or better than Baalke was Bill Walsh.
Is this because we didnt land Pryor?
For those that grade Baalke as an "A" or "B+" GM ... I don't see it. The guy has been in charge of four drafts (2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013). If you're giving him an A in 2010, 2011, and 2013, his 2012 has to be considered a D. And I'm not ready to give him an A for 2013 (before we anoint Carradine and Lattimore, let's see them actually play a down in the NFL) and he squandered a 2nd rounder in 2010 (Mays). 2011 was a "great" draft - I say this cautiously not because of certain picks' off field troubles but because: (1) Kap needs to fix some major issues before he can be considered a franchise QB; (2) Culliver got destroyed in the SB and was injured all last year; and (3) Hunter was not good enough of a pick to prevent Baalke from using a 2nd rounder in 2012 and a 4th rounder in 2013 on the same position where we already have Gore. Baalke's draft grade averages out to a C+/B- in my opinion.
alot of people forget that in 2012 we traded some picks and loaded for '13/'14
Originally posted by midrdan:
For those that grade Baalke as an "A" or "B+" GM ... I don't see it. The guy has been in charge of four drafts (2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013). If you're giving him an A in 2010, 2011, and 2013, his 2012 has to be considered a D. And I'm not ready to give him an A for 2013 (before we anoint Carradine and Lattimore, let's see them actually play a down in the NFL) and he squandered a 2nd rounder in 2010 (Mays). 2011 was a "great" draft - I say this cautiously not because of certain picks' off field troubles but because: (1) Kap needs to fix some major issues before he can be considered a franchise QB; (2) Culliver got destroyed in the SB and was injured all last year; and (3) Hunter was not good enough of a pick to prevent Baalke from using a 2nd rounder in 2012 and a 4th rounder in 2013 on the same position where we already have Gore. Baalke's draft grade averages out to a C+/B- in my opinion.

I have a few fundamental problems with this post, the most basic being that the team has been a contender now for three straight years and you don't get that without a good combination of front office, coaching and good players. But please don't blame Baalke for Taylor Mays. I've read more than a couple sources saying that Baalke wanted to draft Kam Chancellor and it was Singletary who held out for Taylor Mays. Taylor Mays is all Singletary's fault.
I don't necessarily agree that he deserves a lot of criticism. Yeah he gets some low marks for 2012 but otherwise I think his drafts have at least been solid. Even if he does deserve more complaints than I realize, you know what they say, "Winning cures a lot of ills ".
Originally posted by Youngone:
Is this because we didnt land Pryor?

Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by midrdan:

I have a few fundamental problems with this post, the most basic being that the team has been a contender now for three straight years and you don't get that without a good combination of front office, coaching and good players. But please don't blame Baalke for Taylor Mays. I've read more than a couple sources saying that Baalke wanted to draft Kam Chancellor and it was Singletary who held out for Taylor Mays. Taylor Mays is all Singletary's fault.

Yep. Those drafts were strong. And the free agency work is not taken into account. And I am not sure I see the logic of hanging "off season troubles" on the GM. Ok for the first summer, maybe, but not on and on. That's like expecting your car's warrantee to go on for ever.

So bearing in mind where we were, where we are and so on, this myth is busted.