There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why does Baalke seem get a free pass from serious criticism?

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for ElephantHaley.
If Tank Carradine and Vance McDonald step up here in 2014 then Baalke will go from B-C+ to B+ in My Book.
We've had an elite team the last three years and that's no small thanks to Baalke and Co. That said, given the legal issues of the 2011 class and the whiff that is the 2012 class, 2014 is going to be the year we'll see if there's a chink in the armor.

To stay on top we need see the hoped for production beyond Reid from the 2013 class and we must have a great 2014 draft, in particular when it comes to DB's and perimeter weapons. I think both of those things need to happen if we're going to remain elite in my opinion . . . . with or without Aldon Smith.

If it doesn't happen we'll remain competitive, but the impact of the 2011/2012 draft holes will be compounded and we'll start to fade from elite status this year and next.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Apr 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Niners99:
The better question is, why does Baalke or Jim Harbaugh get criticized at all? They took a 6 win team and turned it into a SB contender 3 straight years.

It gets pretty nitpicky in here sometimes.

when the team struggles at times it goes back to romans play calling, JH is the head of the rattlesnake and does nothing about it thus he is an enabler and deserves critical comments. you can spin it or drink as much of their bathwater as you want but when you have a bad draft like we did two years ago,, they all deserve critical comments and when the team can not get the god damn plays in on time the coach , oc whoever deserves to get ripped after two plus years of that crap. just because they took a bad team and took us to three nfc title games in a row does not mean they are immune

Saying they're not immune is different from serious bashing which is what the OP ( & SD and others) is doing. Be grateful to have a top 3 - top 5 GM and a top 5 HC. This guy has killed it for us. Being upset with a pick or the entire 2012 draft, or a specific FA pick-up - I understand that. To say the guy has been nothing short of a badass GM for us is ridiculous. He's been THE most important person in the building of arguably the best team in football, with only Seattle and the Broncos even in that conversation.

We all knew we would have basically nothing to spend on outside FA's this offseason so what does Baalke have ready to restock our talent? 6 top 100 picks in this draft along with two potential first-round talents being added to our team. That's how you build and maintain team. He is something special.

Also - the 2012 Draft of Aldon Smith (HOF talent, off-field issues), Colin Kaepernick (Franchise QB, Probowl talent), Cully, K. Hunter, Kilgore & Bruce Miller. That is an excellent draft. I believe all of those players have starter-level talent with Hunter being the one question mark for me.

Yes, Aldon has had issues. A lot of high profile issues . Still, not as bad as Big Ben or Ray Lewis or Kobe or Marshawn or a number of others stars if you ask me. Cully's & Kilgore's off-field issues are also not very scary to me, we'll forget all about them by next offseason (think Ahmad Brooks' issue last year). This was an incredible draft.
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't know. Aldon Smith is a disaster and that is regarded as one of his best picks. 2012 was completely lost. Kaep is a running QB with no pocket presense. A great athlete who is tall, big and strong and super fast legs. But he can't make a read to save his life. He has no idea what he is seeing out there. Upside yeah. Rare athletic skills sure. But he is a tad bit overrated on the WZ IMO. There are probably 15 QB's who can get just as far as him in the NFL. This thing is driven by defense, O line, running game. Alex Smith on his same team at the time proved it. He got the NFC Championship. He would have gotten to the Super Bowl if Kyle Williams didn't fumble twice. This ship is not QB driven.

You must be a delight at parties

I'm am the life of the party always......

I can't deny the Kyle Williams fumbles. Kaep, however, aided in winning an NFC championship, damn near, besides the team's mistakes, won the Super Bowl. The following year, he damn near got us, besides his horrid mistakes, back to the Super Bowl.

Well we were Qb Driven with Alex, he new how to drive the bus, even if it was a short bus. Problem for kap is he's not had all those years in the league where he got on the job experience. In time though he will be equally to smith in terms of knowledge of the game. But his arm and legs are way better in time he will be the new GOAT!

Also, besides the Draft of A.J. we've done really well getting talent, my big problem is that we keep taking running backs...GOD 4 guys who could play running back is enough already stop it. LMJ has talent but doesn't get to show it because every year Trent needs to take a new one, Take a Defensive Back you a*****e.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
If Tank Carradine and Vance McDonald step up here in 2014 then Baalke will go from B-C+ to B+ in My Book.

Fasho
Jed York's fault in 3...2...1...
fml
Originally posted by GEEK:
You are missing an objective opinion.

2010 was a great draft. Bowman may be a future hall of famer because he's playing better than Patrick Willis. Davis and Iupati are top 10 players at the respective positions. And Anthony Dixon was a great role player for us. He wiffed on Mays, but that was a Singletary pick.

2011 was an outstanding draft. Aldon Smith is a pro bowl player. We found our future QB in Kaepernick. Culliver is a solid corner. Hunter has shown flashes, but got banged up a bit. Kilgore is now a starter. Bruce Miller is a pro-bowl caliber full back.

Off-field issues are not Baalke's fault.

2012 draft was atrocious - and the verdict is still out on Looney.

2013 draft has solid potential. Eric Reid was an outstanding pick - you don't blame a GM because players suffer a football injury - that shows your blatant and idiotic bias against Baalke. Carradine, Dial, and Lattimore have potential to be contributors, but were redshirted in their first year. Not a big deal because we still have 4 years on their contract (first year didn't count). And this draft will kick in as Patton is ready, McDonald is ready, and Lemonier will have a bigger role.

I give Baalke a B+ grade. A good chunk of the talent on this team came before Harbaugh became coach. But the 2012 docks him a full letter grade.

Agreed. 2010 and 2011 were great drafts.The 2013 draft is loaded with potential. The 49ers are so deep they can red shirt players and even incoming rookies can sit or be developed over time. On another team players like McDonald and Lemonier would start as rookies. Add to that that Baalke got us the #77 pick early 3rd rd this year from last years draft and he made Jerry Jones his little biatch in rd 1 and moved up 13 slots to get Reid for only a 3rd rd pick it was a great draft. I think that is the biggest move up for a 3rd rd pick in the 1st rd in NFL history by far.

As for the 2012 draft. AJ Jenkins was a bust. LMJ is a good player that the coaches have failed to use properly. He is a good KR and averages over 4 1/2 yds per carry as a RB. It's Baalke's fault no one hands him the ball or uses his skill as a receiver as well? Looney has provided solid depth on the O-line.

Do we have to go over the bad picks made by a HOF genius like Bill Walsh to compare? The year we drafted Montana he used the 1st pick of the 2nd rd (same as the last pick in the 1st rd) on a RB who never played RB for us. We tried him at WR and safety and eventually settled for just a KR. (LMJ is way better and was a late 2nd rd pick). A 1st rd pick on Earl Cooper RB from Rice he eventually converted to TE. The list goes on.

Every GM has draft busts. It is the overall ability to build a team that the GM,coaches and scouts should be judged on and I believe they have built the best team in the NFL.
P.S.
2 of the last 4 Seahawk drafts include.
2013 1st 3 picks
rd 2: Christine Michael RB
rd 3: Jordan Hill DT
rd 4: Chris Harper WR

2011 1st 4 picks
rd 1: James Carpenter OT
rd 2: John Moffitt G
rd 4: KJ Wright LB
rd 4: Kris Durham WR

Not impressed.
The way our roster is built we don't need much out of each draft. We have been getting at least 1 solid starter per draft, plus several role players. If we continue that trend we are going to be fine. People need to get off Baalke's ass. He is doing a hell of a job.
The irony of a thread started and ultimately commented on by many to complain about Baalke escaping "serious criticism" is ultimately lost on the OP and others who agree with him.

The 49ers under Harbaugh/Baalke are two or three plays away from being in 3 straight Super Bowls and probably a couple more plays to certainly win one of those. Is Baalke perfect...I don't think anyone is saying that. Does he deserve all the credit for the 49ers success as well...no one is saying that either.

This thread seems to be much ado about nothing.
[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM ]
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
The irony of a thread started to bash Baalke complaining about him escaping "serious criticism" is ultimately lost on the OP and others who agree with him.

The 49ers under Harbaugh/Baalke are two or three plays away from being in 3 straight Super Bowls and probably a couple more plays to certainly win one of those. Is Baalke perfect...I don't think anyone is saying that. Does he deserve all the credit for the 49ers success as well...no one is saying that either.

This thread seems to be much ado about nothing.

It's the offseason and people need things to complain about
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
It's the offseason and people need things to complain about

That makes sense. I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts though. We are a fan base that likes to complain a lot even when we had success. Lots of fan bases are like that, but we are very good at it!

It's not lost on me when I see Seahawks fans blind loyalty to their QB, GM, HC and owner while we can be overly critical of all of them. I appreciate that though either way. Keeps them and us on our respective toes.
[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM ]
Wait a few years ATLEAST before you prematurely judge and we have yet to potentially draft 6 players out of the top 100.... The, end. I guess for now, haha.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:06 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
The better question is, why does Baalke or Jim Harbaugh get criticized at all? They took a 6 win team and turned it into a SB contender 3 straight years.

It gets pretty nitpicky in here sometimes.

when the team struggles at times it goes back to romans play calling, JH is the head of the rattlesnake and does nothing about it thus he is an enabler and deserves critical comments. you can spin it or drink as much of their bathwater as you want but when you have a bad draft like we did two years ago,, they all deserve critical comments and when the team can not get the god damn plays in on time the coach , oc whoever deserves to get ripped after two plus years of that crap. just because they took a bad team and took us to three nfc title games in a row does not mean they are immune

And at the end of the day, weve been to 3 straight NFC title games. Wait until we fail to make the playoffs before criticizing the guys in charge.

You dont like the outcome at the very end, but were a top 3 team every year now, and we used to be horrible before those 2 guys took charge. Keep things in perspective.
And at the end of the day, weve been to 3 straight NFC title games. Wait until we fail to make the playoffs before criticizing the guys in charge.

You dont like the outcome at the very end, but were a top 3 team every year now, and we used to be horrible before those 2 guys took charge. Keep things in perspective.

To play devils advocate.

Say we kept McDrunk and still got Harbs. Would we be a worse team?