There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why does Baalke seem get a free pass from serious criticism?

lets take a look at all franchises..then judge
Originally posted by Robert:
Originally posted by theduke85:
So basically, we have:
- one draft that was horrendous (2012)
- two drafts that were great (2011, 2010)
- one draft that is unknown (although Reid looks epic, Lattimore/Tank both have very high ceilings, Patton/McDonald/Lemon all made the roster)

Somehow this warrants "serious criticism?" You need to have an unbelievable cynical view to think that, collectively, those drafts warrant serious criticism. The 2012 draft was unimaginably bad, but overall that's a very good track record.

You also need to consider that a team like the 49ers, oozing with talent, doesn't have the luxury of keeping borderline players on the roster. They're cut because there are better players that will contribute more to the roster. A team like, say, Jacksonville, can stash more players on the roster in hopes of them developing in a year or two.

I'm not sure that we can say today that the 2010 and 2011 were "great" for the team in the long run. It's not just the drafting. It's how you choose to pay those players later. Take Iupati as an example. "Great" pick for a first contract, but you don't use a first round pick on a probowl guy for just a rookie deal. That makes no sense. You spend a first rounder on a guy you expect to pay if he lives up to his potential. Iupati has done everything right since we drafted him. He deserves a top dollar contract, but it does not look like he will get it from us. Why draft a guy, hoping he will be great, then when he is great, let him walk? And before you come back with the "you can't keep them all, because we are just soooo talented" comeback, we have plenty of cap room to sign Iupati right now. But we won't, because Baalke has assigned his mythical "value" to Iupati, and Iupati is valuing himself using a little thing known as "the market". What has Baalke done to earn the trust of fans that his "value" on All Pro players is more correct than the market?

Man not to rip you but......WHAT? First what you're saying about Iupati makes no sense. If you can draft a talent like Mike, you do it and hope to work out a deal later in his career, but we know that's not always possible. Mike is a very good guard but if he walks, I guarantee you the team that pays him will more than likely overpay him. Not overpaying free agents is a very important part of being a GM. Not to mention that if Mike walks, the 49ers will more than likely get a good comp pick for him. So yea you do spend a first round pick for a talent such as Iupati, regardless if you can resign him or not. At the least, you're getting 4 good to great years from him.

Yes the 2012 draft was horrible but Baalke has pretty much nailed his other drafts. I don't know if you're expecting you're going to hit all your picks but that's nearly impossible. Yes Bowman was a great pick and some thought in 2010 he was a reach...how did that turn out? Aldon appears to be a little of an idiot but no one can deny his talent. I went back to BR to look at how they graded that draft and they gave the 49ers a C+ for Aldon. Yes a C+, but the kid has been a force since coming into the league. I can't excuse his DUI's because it speaks of entitlement and a lack of maturation. A lot of young millionaire's struggles with this way of thinking. The so called "bomb threat" is not close to being the issue that it's being made to be. I'm almost certain he will not be charged. The felony gun charges will eventually be plead down to virtually nothing once he modifies his guns to Cali's specifications or he surrenders them. He's going to miss a few games this year and one can argue that he should but Baalke nailed it when it comes to evaluating his talent. Kap appears to be the franchise QB that the 49ers hasn't had in years. Culliver is turning out to be a good pick and you can't hold an injury against the GM. He's got a little bit of idiocy in him but he's yet to do anything horrendous. Hunter has been valuable when he's been healthy and just as with Cully, you can't hold an injury against the GM. Kilgore appears to be in line for a starting spot in the near future. And if we lose Cully and Hunter to free agency...then so be it. That's called business. It's why you 7 draft picks to start every year. You will lose some good talent because of the cap, so you have to replace them. Losing players to other teams for more money isn't an indictment against the GM...the players wanted to get paid, DUH! Oh I forgot who clutch the Bruce Miller pick was. We saw how much Frank missed him in the playoffs.

2013 is a wait to see draft but everyone except you appeared to get that. Reid was a great pick, not to mention, he did not have concussion issues in college. You can't predict something like that, so to hold that against Baalke is insane. Reid said himself that he has to change the way he tackles to protect himself in the future. For all we know, he may never suffer an on-field concussion again. We don't know what we have in Tank yet but if he turns out to replace Cowboy nicely, the 2013 draft grade gets a bump. I still like the McDonald and Lemon picks. Both these guys got great clock, which means they can play. We want both to improve at their respective skill sets next season and if they do, we'll all be like some little school girls. Patton showed us flashes when he was able too, and just like with Cully, Hunter, and Reid, you can't predict an injury. Lets not forget Patton missed 11 games to a foot injury.

Again, I don't know what you're grading Baalke on but he's good in my book. I've completely forgiven him for the 2012 draft and look forward to this year's draft. Lets not forget how Trent works the draft, sliding all over the board acquiring more picks. I fully expect him to get his 8 to 10 guys this year and somehow get an extra 2 picks for next year.

I'm not saying you're doing this but so many of these so-called fans are looking over at what Seattle has done and suddenly wants to gut the 49ers. The season came down to one freaking game and 6 inches. Despite the injuries and struggles on offense, the 49ers were 12-4 and 1 game behind Seattle for homefield. I'm fully in the belief that the 49ers win the NFCCG at Candlestick and then goes on to win 48. Yes they lost 47 but give it to the Ravens for playing an awesome game and not to mention it was just their time.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Davis and Iupati were Sing "picks" if I remember correctly. He wanted beef up front and got it in one draft.

We really do not know who was whose pick.

Baalke was in charge of the 2010 draft.

I would guess that Baalke gets credit and blame for the draft.
So you think there is a possibility Trent wanted Mays?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,259
Originally posted by Niners99:
The better question is, why does Baalke or Jim Harbaugh get criticized at all? They took a 6 win team and turned it into a SB contender 3 straight years.

It gets pretty nitpicky in here sometimes.

when the team struggles at times it goes back to romans play calling, JH is the head of the rattlesnake and does nothing about it thus he is an enabler and deserves critical comments. you can spin it or drink as much of their bathwater as you want but when you have a bad draft like we did two years ago,, they all deserve critical comments and when the team can not get the god damn plays in on time the coach , oc whoever deserves to get ripped after two plus years of that crap. just because they took a bad team and took us to three nfc title games in a row does not mean they are immune
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,653
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
*Kap

Arguing the merits of Kap's play is one thing. But Harbaugh wanted Kap and Baalke wanted Dalton.


thought it was the other way around

Oregon is correct. Trent wanted Dalton.

Where is this information, if this can be considered information, coming from?

Anyone have legitimate sources?
"Jim fought for drafting Kaepernick,'' Dilfer said. "They could have had [Andy] Dalton [who went 35th to Cincinnati, one spot ahead of where the 49ers traded up to]. Everybody wanted Dalton except him. [49ers general manager Trent] Baalke threw him a bone because it was his first year. Kaepernick was his guy. He went and worked him out, he thought he found him, and he swears to this day the only reason Kaepernick went that high was because of the momentum generated because of him. That's his guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/11/27/colin-kaepernick-49ers-super-bowl/index.html#ixzz2zZsvyOQq

Thanks.

Dilfer is as legitimate as any of the talking heads.

But, I would still take his word with a grain of salt.
Greg Roman needs to share more blame than Baalke.
You're going after the wrong man
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
*Kap

Arguing the merits of Kap's play is one thing. But Harbaugh wanted Kap and Baalke wanted Dalton.


thought it was the other way around

Oregon is correct. Trent wanted Dalton.

Where is this information, if this can be considered information, coming from?

Anyone have legitimate sources?
"Jim fought for drafting Kaepernick,'' Dilfer said. "They could have had [Andy] Dalton [who went 35th to Cincinnati, one spot ahead of where the 49ers traded up to]. Everybody wanted Dalton except him. [49ers general manager Trent] Baalke threw him a bone because it was his first year. Kaepernick was his guy. He went and worked him out, he thought he found him, and he swears to this day the only reason Kaepernick went that high was because of the momentum generated because of him. That's his guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/11/27/colin-kaepernick-49ers-super-bowl/index.html#ixzz2zZsvyOQq

Thanks.

Dilfer is as legitimate as any of the talking heads.

But, I would still take his word with a grain of salt.

I would have to agree, Harbaugh boasts about how he held a throwing contest with Kap at Nevada's pro day (didn't do this with any other prospect that year), and when you trade up for a QB, that isn't just out of coincidence (won't go further, but I doubt any other coach would let another QB start in place of a consistent one out of injury, if he didn't want that QB in the first place).

Heck, but who knows, Joe Montana wasn't even Bill Walsh's first choice in the 1979 draft.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,653
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Davis and Iupati were Sing "picks" if I remember correctly. He wanted beef up front and got it in one draft.

We really do not know who was whose pick.

Baalke was in charge of the 2010 draft.

I would guess that Baalke gets credit and blame for the draft.

So you think there is a possibility Trent wanted Mays?

Trent Baalke was in charge of the draft, I give him credit and blame for all the picks in that draft.

All the picks were his responsibility in that draft, the drafts that followed, and the upcoming draft.

Baalke was in charge of the draft. The 49ers picked Mays. Baalke is responsible for Mays pick.
I do not care if he wanted him or not. Mays was a bad pick. Baalke made a mistake.

We can hear rumors and listen to reporters and talking heads tell us who wanted who, but I never know which rumor and talking head to believe. I do not know who stood up on the table for who, and at the end of the day, I am not going to pretend that I do.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,252
If Roman and Harbaugh would've / could've / should've in the SB and NFCC games (Giants/CAWK suckers)....
Originally posted by cciowa:
SD goes to parties to make sure everyone has a bad time

lmao
Originally posted by buck:
Thanks.

Dilfer is as legitimate as any of the talking heads.

But, I would still take his word with a grain of salt.

What I do know, straight from Baalke's mouth, was that he told Harbaugh we don't need to take Kap in the first round, we can wait until the 2nd.

Don't know about the whole Baalke didn't want Kap theory
Oh I don't know .... maybe because he hired Harbaugh and has been drafting pretty consistently? Didn't take Blaine Gabbert or that kid from Notre Dame who I can't remember said to be a can't miss - and took Kap the next year. Let's see maybe because he was able to get Boldin who essentially saved the season on offense for at least the first 8 games for a 6th round. Traded Alex for a king's ransom of picks that are still paying off ... etc. and so on and so forth and ect.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Oh I don't know .... maybe because he hired Harbaugh and has been drafting pretty consistently? Didn't take Blaine Gabbert or that kid from Notre Dame who I can't remember said to be a can't miss - and took Kap the next year. Let's see maybe because he was able to get Boldin who essentially saved the season on offense for at least the first 8 games for a 6th round. Traded Alex for a king's ransom of picks that are still paying off ... etc. and so on and so forth and ect.

not good enough!
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Niners99:
The better question is, why does Baalke or Jim Harbaugh get criticized at all? They took a 6 win team and turned it into a SB contender 3 straight years.

It gets pretty nitpicky in here sometimes.

when the team struggles at times it goes back to romans play calling, JH is the head of the rattlesnake and does nothing about it thus he is an enabler and deserves critical comments. you can spin it or drink as much of their bathwater as you want but when you have a bad draft like we did two years ago,, they all deserve critical comments and when the team can not get the god damn plays in on time the coach , oc whoever deserves to get ripped after two plus years of that crap. just because they took a bad team and took us to three nfc title games in a row does not mean they are immune

Saying they're not immune is different from serious bashing which is what the OP ( & SD and others) is doing. Be grateful to have a top 3 - top 5 GM and a top 5 HC. This guy has killed it for us. Being upset with a pick or the entire 2012 draft, or a specific FA pick-up - I understand that. To say the guy has been nothing short of a badass GM for us is ridiculous. He's been THE most important person in the building of arguably the best team in football, with only Seattle and the Broncos even in that conversation.

We all knew we would have basically nothing to spend on outside FA's this offseason so what does Baalke have ready to restock our talent? 6 top 100 picks in this draft along with two potential first-round talents being added to our team. That's how you build and maintain team. He is something special.
Here's why. This team is good and could be a title contender again. Baalke didn't overspend in free agency and still has 11 picks available to fix what he needs to fix. He hasn't been perfect, but he plays the game as well or better than most of the other GM's in the league. That's good enough for me.