LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 158 users in the forums

Why does Baalke seem get a free pass from serious criticism?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigwads:
Amen.

Baalke has pissed away our draft picks for years and has more than exhausted his built up capital. He had a real opportunity last draft to make a serious impact and he did jack $hit IMO compared to what he could have done.

Presumably you are not being serious.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
There will be some serious offers to Jim Harbaugh at the end of the year. I just have a feeling that there is truth in that he and Baalke are in feud mode and if push comes to shove (regardless of Jims's contract thru 2015), Harbaugh will be out.

The pressure will be more so IF the 49er's don't make the playoffs and more finger pointing will result from it.

At that point, it will be who's closest to Jed York, and I have a feeling it's Baalke.

Those that want Harbaugh out ... be careful what you wish for, because it may come to light.

Hopefully, the YORKS will open their pocket book enough to get a quality HC or else it's back to mediocrity.

Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
There will be some serious offers to Jim Harbaugh at the end of the year. I just have a feeling that there is truth in that he and Baalke are in feud mode and if push comes to shove (regardless of Jims's contract thru 2015), Harbaugh will be out.

The pressure will be more so IF the 49er's don't make the playoffs and more finger pointing will result from it.

At that point, it will be who's closest to Jed York, and I have a feeling it's Baalke.

Those that want Harbaugh out ... be careful what you wish for, because it may come to light.

Hopefully, the YORKS will open their pocket book enough to get a quality HC or else it's back to mediocrity.

I doubt there will be serious offers on the table for Harbaugh, he being under contract through 2015. But NT seems to want to melt down in a self induced paranoid frenzy very similar to the one it went through just before he joined.

I don't see posters wanting Harbaugh out, but I do see a lot of posters who are inventing stories to justify their prejudices.

By the way, if the Niners don't make the playoffs I would expect Harbaugh to be put under a lot of pressure by the ownership. With the roster he has, he will owe Jed and the fans an explanation.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by bigwads:
Amen.

Baalke has pissed away our draft picks for years and has more than exhausted his built up capital. He had a real opportunity last draft to make a serious impact and he did jack $hit IMO compared to what he could have done.

Presumably you are not being serious.

(Read)heard that 4real
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
There is some serious in here. Baalke has been the best thing for the niners in the last 10 years. GM does a whole lot more than that just work the draft. They bring in FA, decide when to let guys walk or keep them. 2012 draft was terrible, but all the others have give several starters, quality starters to boot. He has also brought in Boldin, Johnson, Bethea, Rogers, Dawson, and many other serviceable FA.

He has also let guys go to different teams, none of which have had much success. This shows that he judges pretty well when a player is either overvaluated or we have a younger, better player. Some of these armchair GMs need to go back to Madden and quit worrying about Baalke.

This.

Here is another example that the man knows what he is doing

Through the first four games of the 2014 season, opposing quarterbacks have been picking on Cooper. He has given up 310 receiving yards in coverage, which is the most in the NFL. Additionally, PFF has graded him him out at -5.2 thus far, having allowed four touchdowns and a 148.1 passer rating when targeted.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10/3/6897231/marcus-cooper-injury-49ers-vs-chiefs

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
There is some serious in here. Baalke has been the best thing for the niners in the last 10 years. GM does a whole lot more than that just work the draft. They bring in FA, decide when to let guys walk or keep them. 2012 draft was terrible, but all the others have give several starters, quality starters to boot. He has also brought in Boldin, Johnson, Bethea, Rogers, Dawson, and many other serviceable FA.

He has also let guys go to different teams, none of which have had much success. This shows that he judges pretty well when a player is either overvaluated or we have a younger, better player. Some of these armchair GMs need to go back to Madden and quit worrying about Baalke.

This.

Here is another example that the man knows what he is doing

Through the first four games of the 2014 season, opposing quarterbacks have been picking on Cooper. He has given up 310 receiving yards in coverage, which is the most in the NFL. Additionally, PFF has graded him him out at -5.2 thus far, having allowed four touchdowns and a 148.1 passer rating when targeted.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10/3/6897231/marcus-cooper-injury-49ers-vs-chiefs

Wow, that's pretty bad. I guess Colin is going to throw his way on sunday.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
WIN on page 1 and then NCommand later on nailed it. You don't just go by drafts, you HAVE TO include trades. And there, Baalke has been a master. Re: baalke's one bad yr, as NC noted, Baalke seemed to draft one guy for each position coach...and it failed. He learned and ever since, has been spot on. Sure every GM has an AJ, it happens. And many GMs go yrs with one draft bust after another(Jerry jones, anyone, or Al Davis before he passed away). So with baalke , look at the guys he has brot in via draft and trades, where he is a nifty poker player. And again, as NC has noted, Baalke has his own farm system, drafting guys and then "redshirting" them, something I don't know occurring anywhere else in the NFL. The 3 NFCC appearances (and 1 SB ) can also be attributed to baalke. Also, he got us our HC. How anyone can look at his record and complain, legitimately, is beyond me. He's the best thing to happen to this team in ages. I sure wish he could have chosen our OC tho, and who knows, before season is over, may do just that.(that would require a disastrous tailspin, and nobody wants that). But romn as an OC for kap is about as mismatched as it gets.

For my money, romn is ruining my Qb. Before I honestly thot kap was a poor choice. After 3 yrs I am convinced, romn was a horrid choice, and kap something really special...who has been really poorly coached. I do wish baalke would hire a great QB coach, specifically to work with kap on fundamentals. I thot JH was that guy...but I was sadly wrong. And romn, man how do we get rid of him?

pasodoc nails this one also.

We don't win Sunday without the trade Baalke made for Stevie Johnson - with an ailing Crabtree. We also don't have big catches from Lloyd.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
WIN on page 1 and then NCommand later on nailed it. You don't just go by drafts, you HAVE TO include trades. And there, Baalke has been a master. Re: baalke's one bad yr, as NC noted, Baalke seemed to draft one guy for each position coach...and it failed. He learned and ever since, has been spot on. Sure every GM has an AJ, it happens. And many GMs go yrs with one draft bust after another(Jerry jones, anyone, or Al Davis before he passed away). So with baalke , look at the guys he has brot in via draft and trades, where he is a nifty poker player. And again, as NC has noted, Baalke has his own farm system, drafting guys and then "redshirting" them, something I don't know occurring anywhere else in the NFL. The 3 NFCC appearances (and 1 SB ) can also be attributed to baalke. Also, he got us our HC. How anyone can look at his record and complain, legitimately, is beyond me. He's the best thing to happen to this team in ages. I sure wish he could have chosen our OC tho, and who knows, before season is over, may do just that.(that would require a disastrous tailspin, and nobody wants that). But romn as an OC for kap is about as mismatched as it gets.

For my money, romn is ruining my Qb. Before I honestly thot kap was a poor choice. After 3 yrs I am convinced, romn was a horrid choice, and kap something really special...who has been really poorly coached. I do wish baalke would hire a great QB coach, specifically to work with kap on fundamentals. I thot JH was that guy...but I was sadly wrong. And romn, man how do we get rid of him?

pasodoc nails this one also.

We don't win Sunday without the trade Baalke made for Stevie Johnson - with an ailing Crabtree. We also don't have big catches from Lloyd.

Excellent call!

We also don't win if Bathea doesn't force a fumble - another pick-up by Trent.
  • buck
  • Veteran
We have had a winning team for the last three years. It has been a long time.

We should credit the players, York, Baalke, Harbaugh, the entire coaching staff (and even though it is difficult to say including Roman)for the work that they have done.

Originally posted by buck:
We have had a winning team for the last three years. It has been a long time.

We should credit the players, York, Baalke, Harbaugh, the entire coaching staff (and even though it is difficult to say including Roman)for the work that they have done.

Absolutely this. Getting tired of the blame culture here. Like it's either Baalke or Harbaugh has to go. Some of you folk are subconsciously buying into that Cohn media s**t.
Has Balk hit with the 2013 & 2014 Drafts (I know its early for 2014) 49ers would be 4-0. You Balke defenders gotta admit that with ALL the Draft Picks the last 2 Drafts, Balk has UNDERWHELMED to me. The only 2 rookies from 2014 that impress me are Hyde & Lynch. As for 2013 Only Reid has shown me anything, and I don't wanna hear "Well We redshirted so & so". We needed impact players at positions of need and that hasn't happened for whatever reason. Sometimes I think Balk gets too cute instead of taking SOLID Football Players Balk thinks "Oh I'll Shock The Draft and Find Diamond In the Roughs". That Boreland Pick and Brandon Thomas pick and Ward pick got me SMH then and even more now.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Has Balk hit with the 2013 & 2014 Drafts (I know its early for 2014) 49ers would be 4-0. You Balke defenders gotta admit that with ALL the Draft Picks the last 2 Drafts, Balk has UNDERWHELMED to me. The only 2 rookies from 2014 that impress me are Hyde & Lynch. As for 2013 Only Reid has shown me anything, and I don't wanna hear "Well We redshirted so & so". We needed impact players at positions of need and that hasn't happened for whatever reason. Sometimes I think Balk gets too cute instead of taking SOLID Football Players Balk thinks "Oh I'll Shock The Draft and Find Diamond In the Roughs". That Boreland Pick and Brandon Thomas pick and Ward pick got me SMH then and even more now.

How many rookies from the 2014 draft did you expect to impress? Because after only four games, to be excited about two of the rookies is pretty damn good by NFL standards. And in my opinion there is at least another four who are going to impress in due course.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
in 2012, baalke showed he was no genius.
in general, it's looking like the 2012 draft, as a whole, is not very good.
i would've taken david wilson or kendall reyes with pick #1, and sanu with #2. can't say that would've taken us very far.
[ Edited by xcfan on Oct 4, 2014 at 4:34 AM ]
If it was not for Kyle Williams, the core of players that were already present pre -Baalke proved they were Super Bowl caliber. So one of his best moves was Harbaugh which is the move most Niner fans living in the Bay would have made. I'd say he's done pretty good, we are still contenders and you can't ask for more than that, but his ranking can slide depending on his last two drafts. Not sure where to rank him really. All I know is the guy in Seattle is doing better and it hurts.
Why do we have to tare down and critize?
[ Edited by Constantine on Oct 4, 2014 at 7:23 AM ]
All pro mlb, All pro olb, all pro lg, probowl safety, top 15 qb. Not to mention the ingenious trades that always end with the 49ers getting better value. He just created an extra pick by moving down a single spot.

Cant expect them all to hit.
Share 49ersWebzone