LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 307 users in the forums

Why does Baalke seem get a free pass from serious criticism?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't know. Aldon Smith is a disaster and that is regarded as one of his best picks. 2012 was completely lost. Kaep is a running QB with no pocket presense. A great athlete who is tall, big and strong and super fast legs. But he can't make a read to save his life. He has no idea what he is seeing out there. Upside yeah. Rare athletic skills sure. But he is a tad bit overrated on the WZ IMO. There are probably 15 QB's who can get just as far as him in the NFL. This thing is driven by defense, O line, running game. Alex Smith on his same team at the time proved it. He got the NFC Championship. He would have gotten to the Super Bowl if Kyle Williams didn't fumble twice. This ship is not QB driven.

Funny ... you aren't serious?

Bitter fanboys just seem to have trouble moving on. I would suggest professional help.

Bitter fanboys = trolls of woe.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 16m Report: USF strength coach suspended after questioning #49ers' selection of OLB Aaron Lynch ... http://a.sacb.ee/CFq6c8l
Originally posted by susweel:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 16m Report: USF strength coach suspended after questioning #49ers' selection of OLB Aaron Lynch ... http://a.sacb.ee/CFq6c8l

AKA, MadDog?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't know. Aldon Smith is a disaster and that is regarded as one of his best picks. 2012 was completely lost. Kaep is a running QB with no pocket presense. A great athlete who is tall, big and strong and super fast legs. But he can't make a read to save his life. He has no idea what he is seeing out there. Upside yeah. Rare athletic skills sure. But he is a tad bit overrated on the WZ IMO. There are probably 15 QB's who can get just as far as him in the NFL. This thing is driven by defense, O line, running game. Alex Smith on his same team at the time proved it. He got the NFC Championship. He would have gotten to the Super Bowl if Kyle Williams didn't fumble twice. This ship is not QB driven.

Funny ... you aren't serious?

Bitter fanboys just seem to have trouble moving on. I would suggest professional help.

Closet Chief fan. If you love Alex more than Kap plus the Niners, this might be news to you, you aren't really a Niner fan any longer.
I don't think like you. The Front Office doesn't think like you, but Chief fans do!
And many of us of tired you incessantly attacking Kap and praising Alex every chance you get or you put of topics like "KC would rather have Alex than Kap".

Moderators tend to treat Alex, like he is still a Niner. I wish they would move on. This forum should be allowed to talk about Alex like Russel Wilson. Not our QB.
Open season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by susweel:

AKA, MadDog?

lol
Closet Chief fan. If you love Alex more than Kap plus the Niners, this might be news to you, you aren't really a Niner fan any longer.
I don't think like you. The Front Office doesn't think like you, but Chief fans do!
And many of us of tired you incessantly attacking Kap and praising Alex every chance you get or you put of topics like "KC would rather have Alex than Kap".

Moderators tend to treat Alex, like he is still a Niner. I wish they would move on. This forum should be allowed to talk about Alex like Russel Wilson. Not our QB.
Open season.

I'm not into criticizing Alex Smith. I like him. But, the bottom line is that I am and always have been a Niners fan.
The sad fact that allot dont realize is that we really did NEED Hyde. What was brandon Jacobs brought in here to do? What was Boobie spending all his off season learning to do... pick up 1-3 yards no matter what.

Lattimore might be an all pro or he might be a quirky ligament away from retirement, we simply dont know. LMJ... well Romans infinite genius proved he cant run up the middle, Hunter rarely has negative yardage but cant really push the pile, so we have Gore one year from retirement as our proven option... Hyde will destroy in these types of situations. I will put $20 on the fact he breaks at least 1 or 2 long td runs from a 3rd and 1 situation :)
To respond to the topic Q. Baalke is not perfect, nor was Walsh. Jeff Bregel and JJ Stokes were a couple of first round flame outs ... there are many more.

This is a technique used often here. In hindsight we compare someone to perfection. Walsh was a great talent evaluator, but not perfect. He is considered great for his "hits" in the draft and most are forgiving of his misses.

But no one goes as far as stating we would be so much better dumping Baalke and hiring person X. We do it to Kap, Harbaugh, Roman etc....
I'm not into criticizing Alex Smith. I like him. But, the bottom line is that I am and always have been a Niners fan.

I didn't mean to imply you did. Embracing ex-players I don't get. This wasn't near is hard as letting Joe Montana go and embrace Steve Young.

But I quit rooting for Joe the moment he left. You are a "player-fan" or a "team fan". My wife is a "player fan". She rooted for Elway, Marino and Bartowski simultaneously, so she had 3 teams (like QBs? If you have 3 your really have none?). Kap is her new favorite so we have finally merged on who to root-for.

If Kap leaves, her loyalties will change and mine, not.
dont forget undrafted players and free agents we've signed. The number of picks that we've hit on have been pretty standard but there are other parts to building you team. Trades, UDFA, free agents and supplemental drafts. Overall, they have been awesome at manuevering at landing quality players for our team.

Are there picks that we questioned from the start and kind of knew they would be fails? Balmer? Jenkins? yes. But everybody has those.

The important thing is that we've drafted not only quality players but players that are leaders, so they pave the way for the rest of the team.

hey, c'mon guys, Alex, much as I liked him is gone...and he has done well, which is great...plus he got us 2 second picks this yr...But Kap is now our starter for 1.5 yrs, and with help the first yr got us to SB and NFCC last yr. Alex is an argument long since gone. And he isn't a 49er for last 18 mos. Why still beat this old dead horse. It gets you nowhere. Finee. Pare...Fait accompli. No mas. Termine. Basta.

As to the gripe that we didn't really need the best C, ILB, RB, and FS...unhhh, what universe are we talking about here. The Hyde pick has been well explained. Frank IS getting older and is already past the 4 yr mark for the majority of RBs. ILB? Aldon in court and possible suspension, and Navarro's status is ...questionable. Then C... What we don't resign Goodwin and don't need a Center? Ok, we may have our starting C on squad already but... and then FS? Hell he plays slot and press corner already, plus S. The kid is a must on D. Now add that to 3 other CBs, the best FB on the board, OLs, DLs, a very interesting WR gotten later...jeez, what exactly would a bad draft look like? This one was good with a few ??? on character of one guy(who JH vetted personally), and a couple others that sure, out of 12 picks, baalke is allowed a questionable one or two.

Finally, as alluded to earlier, we will never know who baalke really wanted and it could have happened the guy he wanted may have been yours Brodie, but someone else got them just one pick ahead of us. Remember last yr, when we had to have a S, trent went up what , 13 or 14 slots to get him? Well, this yr with a #1 CB and #3-6 CBs, trent made one out of every 3 picks a DB (or one out of ever 4 picks a CB). It is hard to do much better than that. And of the 4 guys noted above, I bet we use all 4 this yr, C, FS, ILB, and RB.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
hey, c'mon guys, Alex, much as I liked him is gone...and he has done well, which is great...plus he got us 2 second picks this yr...But Kap is now our starter for 1.5 yrs, and with help the first yr got us to SB and NFCC last yr. Alex is an argument long since gone. And he isn't a 49er for last 18 mos. Why still beat this old dead horse. It gets you nowhere. Finee. Pare...Fait accompli. No mas. Termine. Basta.

As to the gripe that we didn't really need the best C, ILB, RB, and FS...unhhh, what universe are we talking about here. The Hyde pick has been well explained. Frank IS getting older and is already past the 4 yr mark for the majority of RBs. ILB? Aldon in court and possible suspension, and Navarro's status is ...questionable. Then C... What we don't resign Goodwin and don't need a Center? Ok, we may have our starting C on squad already but... and then FS? Hell he plays slot and press corner already, plus S. The kid is a must on D. Now add that to 3 other CBs, the best FB on the board, OLs, DLs, a very interesting WR gotten later...jeez, what exactly would a bad draft look like? This one was good with a few ??? on character of one guy(who JH vetted personally), and a couple others that sure, out of 12 picks, baalke is allowed a questionable one or two.

Finally, as alluded to earlier, we will never know who baalke really wanted and it could have happened the guy he wanted may have been yours Brodie, but someone else got them just one pick ahead of us. Remember last yr, when we had to have a S, trent went up what , 13 or 14 slots to get him? Well, this yr with a #1 CB and #3-6 CBs, trent made one out of every 3 picks a DB (or one out of ever 4 picks a CB). It is hard to do much better than that. And of the 4 guys noted above, I bet we use all 4 this yr, C, FS, ILB, and RB.

Several WebZone members compared Blaine Gabbert to Alex. It's my hope in a year or two (or three) maybe we can trade Blaine for two second round picks like we did Alex.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Several WebZone members compared Blaine Gabbert to Alex. It's my hope in a year or two (or three) maybe we can trade Blaine for two second round picks like we did Alex.

He'd have to start 25 games for that to happen. No thank you.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

OK, so I never said anything bad about the pick for C. I think we all get that.

He may start, even.

The ILB and RB, I am glad they are on the team, but in terms of need, if we had traded them for Dennard or Fuller, that would work for me.

That's just me and how I feel about our CB situation. Which looks like this to me:

I am glad we got a lot of guys who might develop and shine at CB. We may need them.

Also Ward, although coming from a mid major, has a lot positives and upside too. SO no problem there, although nobody really talked about him as a 1st rounder, did they? I am asking. I don't remember reading his name.
Again my main issue was that our biggest needs were CB + pass rush, and we spent our early rounds getting talent everywhere but there -- cept for Ward.

However, watching the highlights from Millard made me smile. This guy is a player. Nice to see a FB do something besides run three yards and fall down. Hope he comes back. I am more interested in this story than others from our draft which seem to be getting headlines.
Brock, Culliver (fingers crossed), Ward (fingers crossed), Wright, Cox and the new guys + an improved pass rush makes me think we will be fine Brodie, not as bad as you think imo.

Share 49ersWebzone