There are 156 users in the forums

Why does Baalke seem get a free pass from serious criticism?

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
If your going to try to make a point against our secondary at least use games we lost. Because when you come with the what ifs about our games and they are games we won they dont make alot of sense cuz there is no reason to complain about games we won. Hell the cornerback play from a corner still on this team is why we beat Atl.

No, totally disagree. Everything is right because we won? No sorry I lost that perspective many many years ago.

And, Brock made a good play, but it was the aggressive playcalling blitz from Reid that really saved the day. The prior two drives from Atlanta showed awhat a good qb can do to our backfield when there is no pressure.

We just went 19-0, what's your worry? No sorry I lost that perspective many many years ago.
Why does baalke get a pass from press criticism? Well, look at this draft and there is your answer.
To try to answer it seriously, it's the combination of drafting, trading and free agency work. Obviously, when you are dealing with humans nothing is guaranteed but the man just keeps on producing.
Peter King has become a parody of himself at this point, but every once in a while he still writes a good sentence. This summary of the 49ers draft was perfectly on point:

"It's Trent Baalke's drafting world, and we're only visiting it."
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Why does baalke get a pass from press criticism? Well, look at this draft and there is your answer.

This.

Baalke's good far far out weighs his bad.
s**t i'll be first in line to give him a hall pass. One bad draft does not at all weigh in against all the positives he has done. He's a darn good GM
Right now, the entire question of this thread looks a little silly. A better question would be why does Baalke get so MUCH criticism from some Niner fans.
Why does McCloughan see get a free pass from serious criticism for being a drunk?
Originally posted by ayetee:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

This.

Baalke's good far far out weighs his bad.

The Grinch that stole the draft.

I think he did a very good job with this draft.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Jean Babtiste, as the scouting reports say, is comparable to Browner -- here's the problem, Baalke didn't think so. For some reason he thought there was better value down in the lower rounds. He's had some pretty good success with cornerbacks, so I'm not going to second guess the guy. I'm thinking that perhaps our defensive system won't fit Jean the way Donte Johnson would. I'm thinking in the Fangio/LeBeu defenses, it's the safties that are the muscle and enforcers/run-supporters in the secondary. The Fangio/LeBeu cornerbacks are the guys that stay back and cover. Whereas in the Seattle Single high safety defense, it's the cornerbacks that blitz/run support while the safties stay back and ball hawk and cover. That's why Baalke is taking safties (like Reid and Ward) so high in the draft because they have to have multi-dimensional talent in the Fangio defense, whereas the cornerbacks Baalke drafts can get buy with sub-par talent because all they need is one dimensional speed and good coverage ability here. So for whatever reason, Baalke didn't agree with your draft evaluation. Not much you can do about it but let it out here on the boards I guess.

It's hard to believe that our defense wouldn't perform better with superior athletic talent on the field. Is that what you are saying?

It might be the team strategy to avoid these guys, because we will eventually have to pay them.
I believe, it was mike mayock that said he didn't know if harbaugh and Trent get along, but their draft strategy is totally in line. That's the most important aspect, we have a program and everyone is on board. Now it's time to get #6 and validate this whole process. Honestly in my mind it's already validated, to compete at the level we have the last 3 seasons is pretty special.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Jean Babtiste, as the scouting reports say, is comparable to Browner -- here's the problem, Baalke didn't think so. For some reason he thought there was better value down in the lower rounds. He's had some pretty good success with cornerbacks, so I'm not going to second guess the guy. I'm thinking that perhaps our defensive system won't fit Jean the way Donte Johnson would. I'm thinking in the Fangio/LeBeu defenses, it's the safties that are the muscle and enforcers/run-supporters in the secondary. The Fangio/LeBeu cornerbacks are the guys that stay back and cover. Whereas in the Seattle Single high safety defense, it's the cornerbacks that blitz/run support while the safties stay back and ball hawk and cover. That's why Baalke is taking safties (like Reid and Ward) so high in the draft because they have to have multi-dimensional talent in the Fangio defense, whereas the cornerbacks Baalke drafts can get buy with sub-par talent because all they need is one dimensional speed and good coverage ability here. So for whatever reason, Baalke didn't agree with your draft evaluation. Not much you can do about it but let it out here on the boards I guess.

It's hard to believe that our defense wouldn't perform better with superior athletic talent on the field. Is that what you are saying?

It might be the team strategy to avoid these guys, because we will eventually have to pay them.

Stanley Baptiste is not a superior athletic talent. Dude has the quickness of a sloth and speed of over 4.61. Toast city will be his nickname imo.
[ Edited by kronik on May 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM ]
Trading up for a top flight corner was just simply too expensive, when I look at it. I think you are looking at giving up a 2nd, 3rd, 4rth this year and a 1st next year too -- to go to the mid first round position. To go to the top 10, you are looking at RGIII kinds of trades that just simply mortgages your future for multiple years. That's too steep a price. Look at what happened to Shannahan, he's no longer coaching. That's what's going to happen to both Harbaugh and Baalke - they will be out on the street in a year or two. Those number 1 picks are priceless, because they can be used to replenish your depth if you need to, if you win the big one - or if you suffer a substantial amount of permanent injuries to star players.

One thing I don't understand -- and this was also mentioned in a PM I received -- is why do did we exercize a large number of picks when the number of available slots is relatively small on our roster? Doesn't it make sense to bundle picks for impact subs/maybe starters? Obviously, trying to get gilbert was out of the question. probably Fuller too. But if we could have found a way to draft Dennard + Ward, should we have taken it? Might have cost us Hyde. But that's ok, IMO. We are not thin at RB.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on May 12, 2014 at 2:31 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Stanley Baptiste is not a superior athletic talent. Dude has the quickness of a sloth and speed of over 4.61. Toast city will be his nickname imo.

I'm not referring to Baptiste specifically. But somebody took him in Round 2. Likewise all the corners we didn't trade up for went in the 1st round. So, although Baalke didn't find value there, other teams thought different, for various reasons.
Share 49erswebzone