There are 162 users in the forums

Why does Baalke seem get a free pass from serious criticism?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by theduke85:
WHAT!? I love this draft. I thought we killed it. The draft looks like a team that is absolutely loaded with talent that is able to draft mostly for BPA instead of need.

We have needs that were clearly identified by everyone under the seson. ANd we didn't draft there. The Stevie move could pan out. But I have a feeling that the personality thing might rear its ugly head again.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
WHAT!? I love this draft. I thought we killed it. The draft looks like a team that is absolutely loaded with talent that is able to draft mostly for BPA instead of need.

I thought we killed it too.

Notice too how the people complaining now, literally complain about EVERYTHING. While they've been complaining all this time, Baalke has built a Top 2 roster in the NFL. I think he knows what he's doing.

No one is complaining. I am sick of hearing that crap dude. Some just have a different opinion than you on how our draft went. It seems like whenever someone doesn't agree with people on here you are considered a "complainer." Just a different persepective. And Baalke isn't immune to criticism. See the 2012 draft, which was dog doo doo. Yes, he is a top 5 GM but he CAN do wrong which has been evident in the past.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
DURRRR I don't work for the NFL, durrr I've never had a scouting job in my life, durrr and I'm smarter than 3 straight NFC Championships.

DURRRRRRRRRRRR HOW COME WE DIDN'T TRADE UP FOR CLOWNEY... DURRRR, I'ma go to Starbucks and get a handjob.

Who said anything about Clowney? Okay Kurt Russell make a list with two columns. On left our most important positional needs. On the right, the positions of the players we drafted. How many rows match?

If baalke didn't take a second DB, then he must be happy with our 3 Ss and 5 CBs. Or, more likely, he didn't think the DBs there merited that high a pick with much better talent on the board. We got our DB(S). We could easily have gotten by without the best RB in the draft, valued by most in the #37 range, and we get him at #56. That is a bad pick? no way , that is fantastic and also makes me wonder about lattimore. Then we get a C, a very good one, because we have none in camp. And he comes from a real good program for OLs. Had to have him. Then we get an ILB, who should have gone somewhat earlier, plus we have a potential problem with Aldon and suspension. Good choice. Then we get OL help and that is super. Remember Snyder? We could definitely lose him and improve ourselves at OL backup. Our last pick another OL slated for early 2nd round and he has an ACL, which altho used to be the death knell, all you have to do is look at a guy with one on each knee...frank...so the ACL is not the curse it used to be. We red shirt a bona fide true 2nd rd pick taken with pick #100.

WRs? hell, trent was taking care of that by trading and we get a pair of slots...maybe one of them can be the deep threat also .

Brodie, I wonder, just exactly what here didn't you like? No way trent was going to give up the draft for gilbert at #7. And my guess is he didn't think anyone else was worth a move. In short, he didn't see the talent a lot of top DBs were supposed to have. So he brings in the kid from E. Ill. WRs were taken care of outside the draft and are ready to start. Draftees...not so ready. So honest, Brodie, what could he or how could he have improved, picking at #30? He got quality at every slot, including the ILB...true we didn't have to have him, but Navarro...what if he needs more time to heal? Also, we have to have someone at ILB in the pipeline and we got a dandy.

In all, trent came close to getting 1.5 times value for what he picked by waiting , taking a couple we didn't really need, but will use, and finessed the WRs by doing it out of the draft. Now that was clever. He can quit now and take home an A. Nothing fancy, no big names, but quality all around, one guy going on IR. Superb. Really nice job.

As for DBs, I bet my paycheck that we see DBs come to us in rds 5,6, 7 and probably will have a dozen UDFAs in camp as DBs. Also same for WRs. Nah, this was just a value pick thru and thru. At end of draft expect at least 10 DBs and half that many WRs in camp. Just looking for a gem. And, he may find one,too.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 9, 2014 at 9:17 PM ]
Here you go Brodie...you're a smart man, so maybe this rationale will help: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171550-the-baalke-effect/page8/
Originally posted by QBguru:

Notice too how the people complaining now, literally complain about EVERYTHING. While they've been complaining all this time, Baalke has built a Top 2 roster in the NFL. I think he knows what he's doing.

No one is complaining. I am sick of hearing that crap dude. Some just have a different opinion than you on how our draft went. It seems like whenever someone doesn't agree with people on here you are considered a "complainer." Just a different persepective. And Baalke isn't immune to criticism. See the 2012 draft, which was dog doo doo. Yes, he is a top 5 GM but he CAN do wrong which has been evident in the past.

Meh, I stand by my statement. It's the same cast of characters every time, regardless of circumstance. They're guaranteed to complain. Big difference between disagreeing with a particular move (which I do at times), and literally complaining about everything the team does. You know what I'm talking about.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
What do I need to research? We lose Brown Rogers Whitner. Cully coming back from ACL. We sign Bethea. Okay. Good. Maybe some good chemistry there. Leaves 2 starters unaccounted for. We pass on Robey. We don't trade up for Dennard/Verret. We pass on other name corners. How does this help us?

Originally posted by NCommand:
Here you go Brodie...you're a smart man, so maybe this rationale will help: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171550-the-baalke-effect/page8/

That, c'mon man I've seen your posts. You are smarter than that.

People who under-value a draft pick are the ones who are upset with us not moving up. Think about it, for that Alex Smith trade we got Johnson, Carradine, and Hyde...
Why would we trade away a 2 high value draft picks for 1 player (who IMO isn't as good a ballhawk as Ward) when Baalke has proven that a 4th round pick can do that?

-Research, it saves lives

Meh, I stand by my statement. It's the same cast of characters every time, regardless of circumstance. They're guaranteed to complain. Big difference between disagreeing with a particular move (which I do at times), and literally complaining about everything the team does. You know what I'm talking about.

Yeah I agree, there are some people who complain about everything. There are also people on here(not saying you) that if someone doesn't agree with everything they say or criticize the FO, then they are "complainers" or "crybabies" I don't like that.
^^^ how you display your opinion is everything...tact.

Speak plainly sir.

Yeah I agree, there are some people who complain about everything. There are also people on here(not saying you) that if someone doesn't agree with everything they say or criticize the FO, then they are "complainers" or "crybabies" I don't like that.

That's fair.

Speak plainly sir.

I think most in here like differing opinions...leads to more objective, well-rounded perspectives. But how some people choose to express those views in here, can have an adverse effect. That's all.
This thread is f**king stupid. Not one GM is perfect in the draft and if you haven't noticed Baalke has done a great job based off of the players he's chosen. If you want to criticize a pick that's fine and if people don't agree or do that's fine as well. There doesn't need to be a thread about it... /thread
[ Edited by Dajanksta on May 9, 2014 at 9:51 PM ]

Speak plainly sir.

I think most in here like differing opinions...leads to more objective, well-rounded perspectives. But how some people choose to express those views in here, can have an adverse effect. That's all.
I see. Thank you.

I'm not feeling very tactful.

Here's what we need to be THE elite D in the league: one ringer at corner; an impact sub on the line, and depth at safety.

Sub for Bowman? Nope. We already have LemonHead and Scooter on the bench. Our all pro staff can work something out with Brooks Wilhoite.

We addressed the backup safety. It's possible we have an impact corner too if a good MAC career translates to the NFL. But why roll the dice on this? We don't have 2 experienced all pros at corner. We have Brock and Cully off a torn ACL and no one in the slot. I mean, the risk is glaring.

Yet we failed to aggressively acquire a name talent for this obvious need in a draft year with the "deepest class in years." Don't get that.

We passed on Robey. We passed on Jean-Baptiste for Ward and a running back. I'm willing to wait and see on Ward, but I don't get the RB piece. Hyde will get STUFFED just LIKE FRANK due to our LACK OF DIVERSIFIED PASSING GAME NEEDED TO SET UP THE RUN. Throwing another body there WONT HELP. Changing the playbook WILL HELP.

ANd, a backup OT? After we acquire MArtin? What's that all about?

And the backup center? Okay, that makes sense to me. But do we trust Kilgore or not? Do we need to blow a higher pick for a true backup? That seems like a sleeper need.

We just weren't focused on our most pressing needs, it doesn't seem like.

Could we have packaged our 1st and second to cincy for dennard / verret? Did we even try? How about our #1 next year to move up for Ward in the second this year, if we really loved him that much. Wouldn't that set us up nice.
Share 49ersWebzone