There are 263 users in the forums

Despite the drama, 49ers will be just fine in 2014

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Spot on with a lot of your comments, especially the Haley trade. I even posted the same thing stating this would be a HUGE bad move. I'll even go as far as to say, Aldon might not get any game suspensions. Goodell said himself during an interview (far from quoting, but you get the idea), game suspensions are not for punishment, but for helping a player have time to rehab physically and mentally. Aldon voluntarily took a 5 game rehab/suspension on his own, and will keep this in mind.

I would be kinda surprised if he isn't suspended at all. His legal drama would have to play out perfectly for him, I hope you're right though man.

He may have skirted a suspension last time, but this incident will definitely land him at least a 4 game suspension.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I can't see him dodging a suspension this time. If he does, wow, that'd be miraculous IMO.

Suspended for, um, pissing off the TSA?

Im not trying to start any crap, but are his gun charges state or federal? I didnt really follow that story. All I remember was that he shot into the air with an assault rifle. I think that might land him at least a 4 gamer.
Originally posted by TWOooohSIX:
Im not trying to start any crap, but are his gun charges state or federal? I didnt really follow that story. All I remember was that he shot into the air with an assault rifle. I think that might land him at least a 4 gamer.

state charges, they were permit related, he had the proper one's in Missouri, not in California.
Spot on with a lot of your comments, especially the Haley trade. I even posted the same thing stating this would be a HUGE bad move. I'll even go as far as to say, Aldon might not get any game suspensions. Goodell said himself during an interview (far from quoting, but you get the idea), game suspensions are not for punishment, but for helping a player have time to rehab physically and mentally. Aldon voluntarily took a 5 game rehab/suspension on his own, and will keep this in mind.

I would be kinda surprised if he isn't suspended at all. His legal drama would have to play out perfectly for him, I hope you're right though man.

He may have skirted a suspension last time, but this incident will definitely land him at least a 4 game suspension.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I can't see him dodging a suspension this time. If he does, wow, that'd be miraculous IMO.

Dude, I know, it's stupid. I honestly thought prior to the TSA incident, that the commish wouldn't hand down a suspension because he'd take Aldon's voluntary 5 game absence into consideration but this recent mishap, no matter how minor it is, probably messed that all up. His incidents are beginning to pile up and I just can't see any circumstance where Aldon avoids some kind of punishment. I don't think he deserves one but I'm willing to bet the league feels differently.

With that being said, if he does get suspended, I'd say it'll be around 4-6 games (which I can live with). Anything more than that would be extreme and unjustified.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Definitely excited about watching last years' draftees...

Tank, Reid, Vance, Lemonier, Lattimore, and Patton... All should be contributors this year... I'm excited about that.

News has been disheartening, but it won't matter come July. GO NINERS!!!

of course this is the truth. i was very proud of the team for never becoming a house divided last year with injuries and aldon drama and I am sure we will not now. in regards to player moves we have made, signings, people we have not signed, people we have extended , its all been good. excited for the draft, and to see what we have for a team in may. very excited to see the hurt kids from last year and to see the great in squad competition for cornerback spots. sure i b***h and moan and whine a bit but nothing that has occurred in the last few weeks off the field has tempered my outlook for the upcoming season

I agree. Nothing has tempered my expectations. We still need to fight for HFA in the playoffs. That's the goal. We'll probably take a little step back in terms of defense, but our O will be better with more health early on.
we seem to play better when our backs are against the wall like last year at 1-2. I am still awed by the the team winning road games twice to get to seattle and then come two inches away from the super bowl. if you are not proud of that well i just do not know. i think we will be double tough on defense despite the loss of bowman and who knows with aldon. i have full confidence for the other guys to come in and be more than respectable. who knows about our corners but i think it will be fun to see it unfold

I agree that our run til the end of the NFCCG was pretty amazing, and was probably a factor in our eventual loss. We had to maintain a very high level of play on the road 5 of the last 6... It's just not feasible to pull that off. We need a little wiggle room to lose a game sometime in the second half of the season. Getting HFA is paramount! Lets go Levi Field!
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Apr 17, 2014 at 8:20 AM ]
Aldon should just kick it with Bowman. That guy seems like a real class act. I saw two separate short videos on him and that guy seems like he has got it together. Be good for a team mate to take him uder his wing and keep him out of trouble.

Dude, I know, it's stupid. I honestly thought prior to the TSA incident, that the commish wouldn't hand down a suspension because he'd take Aldon's voluntary 5 game absence into consideration but this recent mishap, no matter how minor it is, probably messed that all up. His incidents are beginning to pile up and I just can't see any circumstance where Aldon avoids some kind of punishment. I don't think he deserves one but I'm willing to bet the league feels differently.

With that being said, if he does get suspended, I'd say it'll be around 4-6 games (which I can live with). Anything more than that would be extreme and unjustified.

I would suggest that Goodell arranges to have his air miles docked by 50%. And a short letter of apology to the local TSA. Sorted.
Aldon should just kick it with Bowman. That guy seems like a real class act. I saw two separate short videos on him and that guy seems like he has got it together. Be good for a team mate to take him uder his wing and keep him out of trouble.

I wish Alex Boone would take him under his wing. Boone can relate to him directly, the guy went crazy before the draft, had a drinking problem, went all nuts jumping on cars and his draft stock plummeted. He came to the 49ers and got his act together, he hasn't touched a drink in years and is great in the locker room and the community. I'd love it if he would just go live with Boone during the off season and learn how to live sober and sane.
Excellent Post!

Totally agree and with a knock-out draft we'll be Super Bowl Bound!
Nothing is going to happen to CK or Culliver. So that's 3 out of 4 cases dropped.

Aldon is a different story with his grocery-long list BUT if we stick by him, pick up his 2015 option, he'll most likely get suspended by the NFL for 4 games. Big deal. Skuta and Lemonier will play even BETTER this year in his place and will know all of this in advance and can train as such. Just like Willis last year, his injury allowed Wilhoite to shine. And with Bowman out the first half of the year, he TOO will grow and develop even more. So in the end, both Aldon and Bowman will be back and our rotation and depth behind them will be that much stronger down the stretch. The same can be said for Culliver who will now have to work even harder to earn that #2 CB spot against Wright and Cook and two top-notch draft picks.

The bottom line is, in the end, we should be even stronger down the line b/c of all this drama (assuming the FO chooses to stick by Aldon).
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the brass knuckles thing worries me a titch about cully but not enough to keep me up nights

All sounds good on paper but I'm not 100% in on Kaep yet. Even though he is most likely innocent, he can't put himself in these situations as the face of this franchise. You don't see this from Rodgers, Manning, Brady, or Brees do you? I'm so glad we haven't signed him to an extension yet so this makes him earn it more. He is still learning and getting better and needs to "get over the hump" with his vision and progressions of throwing the ball.

I honestly believe this is a make of break year for Jim in terms of getting his guys back on track and focused from all the off field issues. If we don't make the playoffs and end on bad notes, I'm not so sure we extend him until after next season. It's so hard to repeat the success he's had from Years 1-3 and he will be given a benefit of the doubt but this fan base demands a SB NOW, and I hope we aren't the Bills/Eagles to always get so close, but never win with this core group of guys, mainly Frank/Justin/Patrick.

Here's to a good and healthy season!!!!
[ Edited by Beezy33 on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:53 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Beezy33:
All sounds good on paper but I'm not 100% in on Kaep yet. Even though he is most likely innocent, he can't put himself in these situations as the face of this franchise. You don't see this from Rodgers, Manning, Brady, or Brees do you? I'm so glad we haven't signed him to an extension yet so this makes him earn it more. He is still learning and getting better and needs to "get over the hump" with his vision and progressions of throwing the ball.

I honestly believe this is a make of break year for Jim in terms of getting his guys back on track and focused from all the off field issues. If we don't make the playoffs and end on bad notes, I'm not so sure we extend him until after next season. It's so hard to repeat the success he's had from Years 1-3 and he will be given a benefit of the doubt but this fan base demands a SB NOW, and I hope we aren't the Bills/Eagles to always get so close, but never win with this core group of guys, mainly Frank/Justin/Patrick.

Here's to a good and healthy season!!!!
make or break is such a tired catch phrase. are you telling me that if we fail to make the playoffs or lose in the first round we will cut JH loose? I do not believe that. after three great years you do not fire someone cuz they had a bad year. we do not even know what factors make up this alleged bad year we are talking about. i do not think the entire fan base is how you paint them. sure a super bowl would be nice but nowadays with the way players change teams, a winning team, always being in the hunt for a divisional crown and making deep runs in the playoffs is about the best you can ask for. this is not the niner thinking of 30 years ago where every year was super bowl or bust. that is unrealistic thinking in this day and age in my opinion. with the way this team is built there will be another group down the road to replace the ones you mentioned and will continue to have success. make or break, the window is closing,, its all silly. after the first year, people said we were a one season wonder. ok after the second year they said teams always suck the next year after making it to the super bowl. ok as you can see we just continue to do well despite what some people "think" is going to happen to us and I foresee that to continue this coming year

I wish Alex Boone would take him under his wing. Boone can relate to him directly, the guy went crazy before the draft, had a drinking problem, went all nuts jumping on cars and his draft stock plummeted. He came to the 49ers and got his act together, he hasn't touched a drink in years and is great in the locker room and the community. I'd love it if he would just go live with Boone during the off season and learn how to live sober and sane.

Bingo! If I were to choose one role model, he would be the exemplar candidate.
Matt...excellent run-down. Couldn't have said it better myself. We fans have gotten spoiled because there've been few serious player issues in recent years...the media's made a lot more of it than deserved with the exception of Culliver and Aldon. Cully has some growing up to do...one thing that struck me as odd was his hit & run was deemed a misdemeanor and brandishing/threatening the brass knuckles was the felony. We'll see how that comes out. Aldon's issues are more serious...and he will get suspended by the league. Baalke & Co will wait 'til his 29 Apr court appearance before they make any decisions, which is smart. In the meantime you have idiots like Kawakami torching the FO for not contolling his players and then thumping his chest that he got "inside" info from the very sources he blasted. Just another reason to believe in and trust Matt Maiocco...he's the Bay Area truth.

State charges, I believe, based on the type of rifles he had purchased in another state (Arizona) and brought back to California, that don't meet California requirements for the size of the clip or some other technical issue.

I find it hard to believe that the NFL would suspend him for possession of firearms in California that are legal in Arizona and other states--where undoubtedly other NFL players own exactly the same type of firearm.

His biggest problems appear to be alcohol related, and his rehabilitation does not appear to be completed yet. But he has tried to address the problem, and, hopefully succeeds.
Share 49ersWebzone