There are 178 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do You Think Looney Can Fill LG?

I'm putting my mock draft together.

I've bee a HUGE fan of Gabe Jackson G 6'4", 330, Mississippi State. He really reminds me more of Larry Allen than any G I've seen coming out in the last 5 years or longer.

Do any of you think Joe Looney can step in at LG and perform at a High level? He reminds me of Derrick Deese who was no slouch.

Thoughts on his run blocking and pass blocking.

Thanks
Hard to say. He struggled in pre-season, but then filled in well at RG against the Rams when Staley went down and Boone shifted to LT. MM has always said the 49ers are high on him.

BTW, I'm also a fan of Gabe Jackson and wouldn't mind using one of our 2nd rounders on him. Especially if losing Iupati is likely. Dakota Dozier is another guy with very impressive strength and athleticism that could be available.
I watched the second Rams game with a close eye on Looney. This is the game where Staley got injured in the 1st quarter and Looney came in at RG as Boone went to LT. I was more impressed with his pass blocking than his run blocking. I have to give him some benefit of the doubt because he came in cold, without having starter snaps in the week of practice leading up to the game. The only thing I can hang my hat on is that the coaches still have him on the team and have not drafted an interior lineman in a while (I think).
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Hard to say. He struggled in pre-season, but then filled in well at RG against the Rams when Staley went down and Boone shifted to LT. MM has always said the 49ers are high on him.

BTW, I'm also a fan of Gabe Jackson and wouldn't mind using one of our 2nd rounders on him. Especially if losing Iupati is likely. Dakota Dozier is another guy with very impressive strength and athleticism that could be available.

Good call on Dozier.

Billy Turner G/T 6'5" 316 out of N.Dakota State is also interetng.

Still have my hopes on Gabe.
no he sucks.

next question
I have no doubts Looney can be a beast at LG...he just hasn't had much of a chance to show what he can do. The current OL's been together since 2010 (Goodwin joined in 2011). Look at his college record...dude had just under 80 pancake blocks his senior year at Wake Forest.
Well now they can sign Iupati since Aldon Smith will be gone
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good call on Dozier.

Billy Turner G/T 6'5" 316 out of N.Dakota State is also interetng.

Still have my hopes on Gabe.

naw, not seeing it. dude has 3rd day talent--and i don't mean early-3rd day.
Or Center?
We need a center more than a guard.

One player virtually unmentioned, but could be the 30th overall, is Joel Bitonio of Nevada. He has gone through workouts at tackle, guard and center, is a terrific player. He would come in and start on Day One. He could be the anchor center the team is looking to stabilize the middle of the line for 8-10 years.
Sorry for this post: The one above disappeared, so I typed the following.............................Keep an eye on Joel Bitonio of Nevada. At his Pro day, teams worked him out at tackle, guard and center. He is a really good player, a Day One starter, and I believe one of the safest picks in the draft. Seattle is probably looking at him as well. Going to be a top 45 pick.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM ]
I think Looney is a good guard and could fill the hole left by Iupati, if he leaves...

Or maybe thats just the part of my brain that doesnt want to think that the ENTIRE 2012 draft as a f***ing bust.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I think Looney is a good guard and could fill the hole left by Iupati, if he leaves...

Or maybe thats just the part of my brain that doesnt want to think that the ENTIRE 2012 draft as a f***ing bust.

Nothing wrong with a fourth rounder who plays a substantial role as a "first off the bench" interior lineman. As for the 2012 NFL Draft, it is pretty much torpedoed.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

It was lol.

Can somebody please explain to me why almost everybody is feeling Iupati is leaving?
I would rather sign him than some of the other players that are going to be FA next year
I like Looney is a good guard. I think he looks more natural is pass protection than Iupati does, which will be a big deal if we truly go to more 3 WR sets. I think he is a good athlete for his size, and he is large enough to impose his will physically.

I think Iupati is gone, because the 49ers don't like to splurge on guards, and he'll get more than he is worth. He can be a dominating run blocker, but he gets dinged up a lot, and when he is dinged up, he can't simply dominate with his physicality, and he stinks.