There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Preseason Opponents

Week 1: at Baltimore Ravens
Week 2: Denver Broncos
Aug. 24: San Diego Chargers(Fox, 4 p.m.)
Aug. 28: at Houston Texans
at BAL? That sounds like an unnecessary 'long' flight for a large roster of players.
Can't play too many western opponents this year since we play the AFC-W and Dallas this year, plus preseason games against Oakland are still anathema

Divisional opponents are obviously saved for the regular season
Yeah @ Baltimore is the only surprise considering we've played AFC West teams mixed in with Houston/Minnesota over the years.
The San Diego preseason game going 3rd on FOX is a bit of a shake up though. That game is usually last and fun to watch with all the fringe players doing their absolute best to make the team.
Why are we playing two teams in the AFC West when we play the AFC West in the regular season this year? Also last two Superbowl matchups in week one of preseason makes things interesting I guess.
[ Edited by E-49er on Apr 9, 2014 at 1:00 PM ]
Originally posted by E-49er:
Why are we playing two teams in the AFC West when we play the AFC West in the regular season this year? Also last two Superbowl matchups in week one of preseason makes things interesting I guess.

we always play San Diego in the preseason
Niners (and other west coast teams) don't have too many options in terms of nearby teams (2 time zones away or less) for preseason games, unlike the east coast where a lot of teams are bunched together....just be glad they haven't done any of those silly exhibition games in japan, UK, etc. in a while...

Tennessee, New Orleans, Minnesota, GB & Chicago (plus the Texas teams) are really the only relatively close teams the Niners could play in the preseason apart from the AFCW
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Apr 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by E-49er:

we always play San Diego in the preseason

Yup. And Denver most likely because they are one of the most western teams. It's a geographical thing.
At houston and at balt?

Lots of traveling.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Yup. And Denver most likely because they are one of the most western teams. It's a geographical thing.
Totally true. I remember when it seemed like we played the Hags every preseason and I mean for like 8-10 years straight. Always a few AFCW teams in there.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
At houston and at balt?

Lots of traveling.

houston is a given, we've been playing them for a few years now but baltimore thats the affect of losing the raiders game
Yeah the at BAL is also in week 1 so that's like 80(?) players traveling (no cuts yet). I guess the NFL wants cool sub stories to open the pre-season (Jim vs John).
San Diego is usually the garbage game a week before the season cause it's a short flight why are they making it the dress rehearsal this year? It's been the last game of the pre season for as long as i can remember. Are the Niners the only NFC team to only play the AFC or is it every one? I'm not liking this pre season schedule but oh well it's just pre season.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
at BAL? That sounds like an unnecessary 'long' flight for a large roster of players.

must bring in large TV ratings and of course....lots of $$$
Originally posted by Raul98:
San Diego is usually the garbage game a week before the season cause it's a short flight why are they making it the dress rehearsal this year? It's been the last game of the pre season for as long as i can remember. Are the Niners the only NFC team to only play the AFC or is it every one? I'm not liking this pre season schedule but oh well it's just pre season.

the only game that jumps out is the baltimore one and we wouldnt have it if we still had the raiders as a regular opponent. a lot of team have their teams they play every preseason so when the raiders got eliminated we were going to get stuck with a team that wasnt very close