LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Last Years Draft Class, This Years Difference?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
And likewise! If the coverage schemes now afford Fangio the ability to call both press and off-coverage and as a result, run blitzes off those coverage schemes while keeping his SS closer to the LOS to make plays (run and blitz), it confuses the QB's even more and that works for extra time by the front 7 to get to the QB. Either way, even if our guys are "average" back there, we are adding Carradine/Williams to the front 7 (with a ton of experienced depth behind them) to help the back end even more.

Single High safety and press man cover corners still work in the NFL, I guess. Seadderall proved it last year. Prior, I tended to think that press man (considering all the rules regarding pass interference) was obsolete, but Seadderall made it work. I like the Fangio zone blitz, it is one of the primary defensive scheme's against a West Coast Offense. But it's a pressure scheme and not a coverage scheme.

The single high safety and press man defenses are more George Seifert coverage schemes, and George developed situation substitution defense to counter the West Coast Offense, (ie basically going nickel and dime on 3rd and long) way before we won our 3rd superbowl. I think how you blend the strong George Seifert coverage philosophy with the Fangio zone blitz confuse-the-QB philosophy is simply this: philosophically draft for single high safety and press man coverage (which puts premium draft capital into the cornerback position), but play the zone blitz scheme. You don't need outstanding linebackers to play the zone blitz if your corners are shut down corners. Now, you give the opportunity to Fangio to develop outstanding Linebackers from less talented athletes (just like Harbaugh develops QB's) and you can trade linebacker depth for draft picks.
i cant wait to see last years redshirters but i hope we get a few beasts in this draft to throw into the mix right away too. especially WR and a couple DBs. luckily for us this draft is loaded with talent at all of our thinnest positions so we should be in great shape moving forward. i think the plan all along was to put a champ in the new stadium from the get go. i know we try to win every year but stockpiling picks and the way the teams players are signed thru this year i think they put all their marbles into winning it all in 2014-15
^^^ all is good my friends!
How do you know tank and lattimore can play when they have not played a single nfl down
Originally posted by BMoore56:
How do you know tank and lattimore can play when they have not played a single nfl down

We don't. We can just hope. I'm not a fan of drafting injured guys, especially coming of knee ligament tears.

Baalke is pretty good at drafting defense so tank could pan out. We need lattimore to replace gore in the near future so hopefulle he pans out. We have had some success with RBs with injured knees. Gore and Hearst come to mind.
[ Edited by GNS1310 on Apr 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We don't. We can just hope. I'm not a fan of drafting injured guys, especially coming of knee ligament tears.

Baalke is pretty good at drafting defense so tank could pan out. We need lattimore to replace gore in the near future so hopefulle he pans out. We have had some success with RBs with injured knees. Gore and Hearst come to mind.

Regarding Tank and Lattimore - I'm very hopeful, but until they actually play an NFL game (pre-season) and do well, I'm not going to assume anything. Harbaugh and Balke see them every day, and they will draft according to what they see in them. The draft will telll me a lot of how they are thinking about this year and what they feel about their current team. Tank, Okoye, Lattimore, Martin, Cook, Bethea, etc... all interesting and positive moves -- I'm glad they made them. Just hope it pans out.
The team being infused with talent along the lines of Tank and Lattimore will help, but in some ways it's a necessity. Gore is going to be 31 next year, absolutely ancient by running back standards. Cowboy was great last year, but he was utterly dominant like he was in the past... he's another year older now. Boldin will be 34 in October.

But I'm not trying to sound pessimistic. I am really excited about seeing the progress some of these guys make.
Originally posted by BMoore56:

Tank, Dial, Okoye, Williams...all back and healthy is what folks are excited about, not just Carradine. If you can't get excited by that group joining Justin, McDonald, Dorsey, and Jerod-Eddy...you are unexcitable! That's a word...right?

With the current medical miracles becoming common place the niners can expect some of their injured players to come back 100% or better ala AD. I recall Gore being damaged goods as well...I hated picking him...and boy was I wrong!
Well, with other dominos falling, Cully, Kap, Aldon...we are going to need everyone of these guys. Unfortunately, we got Blaine as our backup Qb, which is maybe 3-4 yrs away. I hope he was brought on for the draft trade move ups. Which just reinforces the fact that we will probably take 2 QBs very late or as UDFAs, or , worse, have to move up in the draft and burn a high pick as QB. Talk about a team really well set talentwise going into the tank in a week...sheesh. Unfortunately, no way Trent/JH could have known any of this. The immaturity of kap, however, is a nightmare for Trent/JH. Now they don't know what they drafted and groomed. Did they get a 26 yr old with an 18 yr old mentality...or was this just a one time thing, horrible decision? You know they will both be beating that question to death. And there is no way to project what kap will become.

Formerly he was a spectacular athletic specimen, with no pro style training. His reads have been an ongoing problem. Now this. What does JH/trent do? Well, they will earn their money on this draft, because they don't know if kap will show us the good or the immature side in the future. I have to think they bet on the good side, and that this is a one time thing. But one thing for sure...whenever they discuss kap in the future, this event will be part of the discussion as to what kap can/can't do.

Not where I thot we would be this time of yr last yr...or at end of season. Seems like the 49ers would be better off playing 12 mos/yr.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, with other dominos falling, Cully, Kap, Aldon...we are going to need everyone of these guys. Unfortunately, we got Blaine as our backup Qb, which is maybe 3-4 yrs away. I hope he was brought on for the draft trade move ups. Which just reinforces the fact that we will probably take 2 QBs very late or as UDFAs, or , worse, have to move up in the draft and burn a high pick as QB. Talk about a team really well set talentwise going into the tank in a week...sheesh. Unfortunately, no way Trent/JH could have known any of this. The immaturity of kap, however, is a nightmare for Trent/JH. Now they don't know what they drafted and groomed. Did they get a 26 yr old with an 18 yr old mentality...or was this just a one time thing, horrible decision? You know they will both be beating that question to death. And there is no way to project what kap will become.

Formerly he was a spectacular athletic specimen, with no pro style training. His reads have been an ongoing problem. Now this. What does JH/trent do? Well, they will earn their money on this draft, because they don't know if kap will show us the good or the immature side in the future. I have to think they bet on the good side, and that this is a one time thing. But one thing for sure...whenever they discuss kap in the future, this event will be part of the discussion as to what kap can/can't do.

Not where I thot we would be this time of yr last yr...or at end of season. Seems like the 49ers would be better off playing 12 mos/yr.

While I share your sentiments, I think if there is a danger in losing a player to suspension or legal troubles, it would be Cully and Aldon. Kaep and Patton - from the facts known - hasn't even been charged yet, and given the facts most likely won't be (*I hope*). I think we will still pick up a QB even if there was no issue regarding Kaep and Patton, and same with Cully. We were going heavy in the draft at the CB position regardless whether or not Cully was a saint. Aldon, clearly has disappointed Baalke, and it's that position that may have changes coming up in the draft because of Aldon's stupid bomb threat.
The problem, G, is that now the 49ers are drafting with imponderables at Passrushing OLB/DE, QB, and CB. Of all those, the CB part is the least worrisome. I think we are taking two very high anyway. The Qb situation, is kap really who we think he is or is he immature, is he able/not able to learn to make reads, and hence do we have the right guy at QB...those are questions that can't be answered just before draft. JH and trent, maybe Jed, have to factor those things in. Reads are one thing. Stupid immaturity( I hope that is all) is another. Will other guys follow a QB who is immature..altho, I never doubted that prior to this weekend.

And as for an all pro passrusher, the problem is will he be arrested, can he be trusted to behave legally between games or between seasons...that one is a head scratcher, and by far the most difficult. Either you can trust him to be here or you can't. Right now, Trent must be toying with the latter, and if so, what to do? Bad situation, no matter how you slice it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The problem, G, is that now the 49ers are drafting with imponderables at Passrushing OLB/DE, QB, and CB. Of all those, the CB part is the least worrisome. I think we are taking two very high anyway. The Qb situation, is kap really who we think he is or is he immature, is he able/not able to learn to make reads, and hence do we have the right guy at QB...those are questions that can't be answered just before draft. JH and trent, maybe Jed, have to factor those things in. Reads are one thing. Stupid immaturity( I hope that is all) is another. Will other guys follow a QB who is immature..altho, I never doubted that prior to this weekend.

And as for an all pro passrusher, the problem is will he be arrested, can he be trusted to behave legally between games or between seasons...that one is a head scratcher, and by far the most difficult. Either you can trust him to be here or you can't. Right now, Trent must be toying with the latter, and if so, what to do? Bad situation, no matter how you slice it.
Those are a lot of unanswerable questions. I certainly don't know the answers to that. We have a very athletically talented team, but clearly there have been some character problems this offseason. While I think there should be concern, I don't think there has to be *worry* yet. Facts still have to come out, but based on the facts that have come out, I'm concerned but not worried. Again, in my eyes, drug dealing, drug usage, assault and battery, actual felony criminal convictions, would make me take action to possibly cut or replace a player with a new draftee. Aside from Aldon's DUI - I don't see any of those yet. (*I'm hoping I won't in the future either*)
Yeah, me too, bud, and same goes for Kap. As for Cully, that ship had sailed anyway. Does give one a pause, however, if they ever had aspirations to be a GM. Job has changed a tad from 45 yrs ago. Now you have to factor in stuff having nothing to do with playing football. And back in SB III, Max McGee was the league's bad boy...coming to the SB( and playing great) after out drinking all nite. I wish it were all that simple now.
Share 49ersWebzone