LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Last Years Draft Class, This Years Difference?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
"Regression to the mean" must be taken in context. Oftentimes, when a team suddenly regresses, it due to the loss of quality players that are either cut or signed away. Good teams just don't suddenly suck out of nowhere.

We've been fortunate to not really have a lot of turnover, so barring injuries I don't see these roster doing any worse than 11-12 wins. And it's very possible that we'll be even better this season with a fully healthy WR core, and a couple of young studs ready to contribute.

I absolutely share your sentiment and agree with what you said above. However, some injuries like Crab's injury, Bowman's injury, and the aging of Justin, Gore, and our weakened secondary is just buzzing in the back of my head. As much as I like what you are saying, my intellectual side is saying this is going to be a down year for us. Yeah we did well last year, had some tough breaks, and had a great season again for the third time -- but I dunno. 4 years in a *row* to be in the NFC CG? That is a statistical extreme, and is the coaching staff and front office *that* good? I dunno. I think the Bills went to four straight super bowls, but the tanked after that. And the thing that gets me about the Bill's case is that they went 0-4 in super bowls.
Originally posted by bzator84:
Plus we already drafted are Clowney with add weight for are fierce DL hopefully he is working his tail off learning the game.

Lawrence Okoye 6-6, 304lbs 40-yard dash: 4.74,Vertical jump: 35 inches, Broad jump: 10-5 ,Bench press: 30

Jadeveon Clowney 6-5 266lb 40-yard dash: 4.53,Vertical jump: 37.5 inches, Broad jump: 10-4 ,Bench press: 21
I recognize that prose anywhere.

BuzZB did you forget your login?
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by baltien:
"Regression to the mean" must be taken in context. Oftentimes, when a team suddenly regresses, it due to the loss of quality players that are either cut or signed away. Good teams just don't suddenly suck out of nowhere.

We've been fortunate to not really have a lot of turnover, so barring injuries I don't see these roster doing any worse than 11-12 wins. And it's very possible that we'll be even better this season with a fully healthy WR core, and a couple of young studs ready to contribute.

I absolutely share your sentiment and agree with what you said above. However, some injuries like Crab's injury, Bowman's injury, and the aging of Justin, Gore, and our weakened secondary is just buzzing in the back of my head. As much as I like what you are saying, my intellectual side is saying this is going to be a down year for us. Yeah we did well last year, had some tough breaks, and had a great season again for the third time -- but I dunno. 4 years in a *row* to be in the NFC CG? That is a statistical extreme, and is the coaching staff and front office *that* good? I dunno. I think the Bills went to four straight super bowls, but the tanked after that. And the thing that gets me about the Bill's case is that they went 0-4 in super bowls.

I think with Bowman being out an extended period of time beginning of the season and all the new faces in our secondary, it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that our defense might experience a slight step back early in the season...at least temporarily until Bowman is back in and our secondary begins to gel and get into a rhythm as a unit. (As long as we're strong by playoff time when it really matters...)

With that being said there are things that are worth being optimistic about as well:

- I think most significant: Kap having another offseason to improve his game AND having healthy Crabtree to work with in training camp and preseason this year. We should have Crab, Boldin, VD, Patton, and a high round draft pick rookie WR to open up the season so I do expect our offense to improve this year.

- We have an influx of 1st and 2nd year guys waiting in the wings, most notably Lattimore and Tank, and if at least one of them pans out, it will be huge for us.

- Six picks in the top 100 of a draft class that is deepest in the positions we need most (WR, CB). If take advantage of that and draft well, it bodes well for us this year and the future.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
our depth along the defensive line was very nice last year, due to the fact we used free agency wisely. and will even be better this year with the additions of the kids who set out last year
Originally posted by cciowa:
our depth along the defensive line was very nice last year, due to the fact we used free agency wisely. and will even be better this year with the additions of the kids who set out last year

TJE and Dobbs played terrific last year and McDonald and Smith played pretty consistently. Dorsey was heaven-sent. And now Williams will be back and the buzz is big about Carradine who's up to 295 pounds. I would not be surprised if Okoye surprises but the guy I've got my eye on is Dial. He played a little at DE and NT last year. Now, he too should be hitting the ground running. I'm hoping Carradine pushes McDonald hard for a starting spot but don't count out Dial either. I can't WAIT to see Okoye and Dial out there in pre season games (they both should get a TON of snaps) to see how far they have come under Tomsula.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

TJE and Dobbs played terrific last year and McDonald and Smith played pretty consistently. Dorsey was heaven-sent. And now Williams will be back and the buzz is big about Carradine who's up to 295 pounds. I would not be surprised if Okoye surprises but the guy I've got my eye on is Dial. He played a little at DE and NT last year. Now, he too should be hitting the ground running. I'm hoping Carradine pushes McDonald hard for a starting spot but don't count out Dial either. I can't WAIT to see Okoye and Dial out there in pre season games (they both should get a TON of snaps) to see how far they have come under Tomsula.
but sus says they are all damaged goods so maybe i should temper my enthusiasm?

Competition at the D-line should be very interesting... I'm not as high on Dial though.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Competition at the D-line should be very interesting... I'm not as high on Dial though.

Most agree...that's probably why I like him and have my eye on him. LOL
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I recognize that prose anywhere.

BuzZB did you forget your login?

haha I thought the same thing, I have to admit his post's used to piss me off because of the horrid use of the language but then i found them fun to read and translate
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I think with Bowman being out an extended period of time beginning of the season and all the new faces in our secondary, it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that our defense might experience a slight step back early in the season...at least temporarily until Bowman is back in and our secondary begins to gel and get into a rhythm as a unit. (As long as we're strong by playoff time when it really matters...)

With that being said there are things that are worth being optimistic about as well:

- I think most significant: Kap having another offseason to improve his game AND having healthy Crabtree to work with in training camp and preseason this year. We should have Crab, Boldin, VD, Patton, and a high round draft pick rookie WR to open up the season so I do expect our offense to improve this year.

- We have an influx of 1st and 2nd year guys waiting in the wings, most notably Lattimore and Tank, and if at least one of them pans out, it will be huge for us.

- Six picks in the top 100 of a draft class that is deepest in the positions we need most (WR, CB). If take advantage of that and draft well, it bodes well for us this year and the future.

Again, I appreciate what you say and I share your sentiment as I do with Baltien, but I go back to the fact that we've been drafting very low for three straight years, add in this year now that we are going on the fourth. Yes we are going to get some talent in this draft, and yes we have some draft ammo, but our draft isn't determined in isolation, and neither is how good our team is.

It's fine if we acquire/draft/develop the Dwight Clarks of the world, but it doesn't matter - if the rest of the league is drafting Jerry Rice's. As much as I loved Dwight, Jerry Rice was hands down the more physically talented player in comparison to Dwight. My worry is that Rams and Cardinals have caught up with us and maybe the other teams with good coaches in the NFC have also. The main reason for my worry is that - for example - the Rams get two first round picks this year. While one pick does not make a team, one player can make a difference, just re-watch the games Jerry Rice and Charles Haley played in. Vernon davis is a round 1 pick 6, Willis is round 1 pick 11. We haven't had a top 10 pick since Aldon Smith (soon to be) four years ago. Anyway - I just can't get my head around the fact that this team is so strong going into it's fourth year. It's too good to be true. There's got to be a catch somewhere.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Stupid Seadderall took out Ian, then they took out Iupati and Bowman in the NFC CG, and the Panthers took out Bruce Miller. I think if we had *all* those players 100% going into the NFC CG - I say we have our 6th.

Having said that, I agree with you that our D Line should be much stronger with Tank Carradine, Ian, coming into the picture, and both Dial and Lemon-Yay going into their 2nd year. Add in the WildCard in Okoye, and we might have something special on the D Lines this year.

I hope we knock it out of the park with our cornerback draftees too. Because right now, that secondary is just above average - in my opinion. If we really do strengthen that secondary significantly, that 6th Lombardi will be within reach this year.
Originally posted by susweel:
Those dudes are damaged goods they never gonna be the same just like my dude navarro.

Right because Adrian Peterson was never the same after his injury.
Oh wait

We have these things called technological advances, I would normally agree with you... But this isn't 1995.
There are some studies going around that re-constructed ligaments can actually be stronger than the original ones.
C'mon man
Those dudes are damaged goods they never gonna be the same just like my dude navarro.

And like your boy Frank. C'mon Susweel... A little hope
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Right because Adrian Peterson was never the same after his injury.
Oh wait

We have these things called technological advances, I would normally agree with you... But this isn't 1995.
There are some studies going around that re-constructed ligaments can actually be stronger than the original ones.
C'mon man

If they're damaged goods, then frank gore is the box from ace ventura that's ben kicked around and destroyed
Originally posted by Giedi:

Stupid Seadderall took out Ian, then they took out Iupati and Bowman in the NFC CG, and the Panthers took out Bruce Miller. I think if we had *all* those players 100% going into the NFC CG - I say we have our 6th.

Having said that, I agree with you that our D Line should be much stronger with Tank Carradine, Ian, coming into the picture, and both Dial and Lemon-Yay going into their 2nd year. Add in the WildCard in Okoye, and we might have something special on the D Lines this year.

I hope we knock it out of the park with our cornerback draftees too. Because right now, that secondary is just above average - in my opinion. If we really do strengthen that secondary significantly, that 6th Lombardi will be within reach this year.
how are we above average? I dont even see 4 legit starters. brock is a stud, reid is a stud, bethea is aight and who starts on the other side? i cant even remember who we have left lol
Share 49ersWebzone