LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

2003 Wildcard Game vs. NY Giants

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
When Garcia went in for the touchdown it was one of my favorite 49er celebrations.

Same here. His sort of goofy celebration made it memorable. Alex's TD run was followed by his own sort of goofy celebration and it was in the same endzone.
Absolutely legendary game. Still remember watching it live. I was pacing back in forth in front of the TV... I remember my dad came downstairs and saw me doing this and gave me crap about it.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I still HATE the Giants more than any NFL team.

You're not alone.
Originally posted by cciowa:
the infamous crawling into a fetal position at half time by mooch. he deserved to get fired after that. Not to have a solid plan b in place was unforgivable by the front office though
This.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
#92 TELLING OWENS THE SCOARBORD

That's the signature moment of the game, imo.
Sports Illustrated should have used that as the centerfold. The left page having strahan grabbing Owens and pointing to the scoreboard. The right page should have been a picture of the final score.
Giants fans act like they were robbed ?? ..and they STILL love to blame Trey Junkin for losing that game? ...not once have they blamed their defense for getting torched by Garcia and company the entire 2nd half
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Giants fans act like they were robbed ?? ..and they STILL love to blame Trey Junkin for losing that game? ...not once have they blamed their defense for getting torched by Garcia and company the entire 2nd half

Well they are were robbed, that last play should of been pass interference.
The OL was reported as eligible before the play. So there's no way he should of been called as illegal man downfield since he was eligible lol
Originally posted by solidg2000:

The OL was reported as eligible before the play. So there's no way he should of been called as illegal man downfield since he was eligible lol
he wasn't the only one down down field
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

This is true, but it should have been offsetting penalties and the down should have been replayed.

Or blame the kicker Matt Bryant who shanked earlier in the quarter that was one of the worst kicks i've ever seen

I recorded everything from Niners week. I loved those days so much. don't get me wrong, I am excited for the youth on this team and their chances of long term success, but I just get warm fuzzies when I hear the old games that Summerall called.

The Giants game was spectacular for sure. Remember it like it was yesterday.
Originally posted by joshuatree:
I still sport my white Owens jersey from time to time

Can I buy it off you to decorate my toylet with.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

This is true, but it should have been offsetting penalties and the down should have been replayed.

Let's put ourselves in their shoes for a minute.....allowing a huge comeback and losing in that fashion. Would we say the same thing??

How about this:

Imagine if we LOST that Patriots thriller two years ago, where they wind up finishing the comeback and beating us on a fluke type play.

We can complain about it, but we'd be forgetting the quarter and a half of b***hing about our D for letting a 31-3 game get tied so damn quickly!

BTW, I try to throw this out about that play as well:

How LUCKY were the Giants that they even had the bad snap have a glimmer of possibility of anything resembling a game winning situation:

1. Bad snap wasn't lost on a fumble
2. Holder managed to get the ball off downfield under tremendous rush and without getting sacked and into the vicinity of Giants' bodies

That alone was a miracle, but then reality sets in:

3. Ball was in vicnity of only OL/defenders - if the ball was actually CAUGHT, would NOT have scored....clock would have run out, we win

Instead, #4 happens which is have a huge lineman interfered with......what are the chances he catches that ball to begin with? It's like interfering on an uncatchable pass or OOB throw.

So replay of downs would have been correct given the interference, but never were they going to score a TD on that play. And they would have to rekick the field goal that wasn't a gimme, even with Matt Bryant.
Never were they getting a first and goal inside the ten with an untimed down.

While we "technically" benefitted, it was a false glimmer of hope on their end.

And still, if you allow a huge comeback you might deserve to lose the game too.

BTW, 80% of Giants fans are pissed because they legitimately thought they would beat Tampa and win the super bowl that year. Man, the hubris of that fanbase.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Apr 10, 2014 at 7:13 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
BTW, 80% of Giants fans are pissed because they legitimately thought they would beat Tampa and win the super bowl that year. Man, the hubris of that fanbase.

That's what I never understand about Giants fans who liken a controversial call in an NFC Championship game to that Wild Card game. They were going to get waxed by Tampa the next week either way.

Same with Packer fans who consider Rice's fumble to be the play that robbed them of a third trip to the Super Bowl. Was Favre going to cover Randy Moss? Assuming they got past Atlanta.

Obviously getting screwed by a bad call is a horrible way to lose, but a bad call in a Wild Card game doesn't carry the same weight as one in Championship game, imo.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

That's what I never understand about Giants fans who liken a controversial call in an NFC Championship game to that Wild Card game. They were going to get waxed by Tampa the next week either way.

Same with Packer fans who consider Rice's fumble to be the play that robbed them of a third trip to the Super Bowl. Was Favre going to cover Randy Moss? Assuming they got past Atlanta.

Obviously getting screwed by a bad call is a horrible way to lose, but a bad call in a Wild Card game doesn't carry the same weight as one in Championship game, imo.

Amen.
Share 49ersWebzone