LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

OUR PASSING GAME---ANOTHER LOOK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by carlgo:
Remember, he turned down the job here because he didn't like the offense. Presumably he felt he wouldn't do well here.

If you were Peyton Manning would you want Roman calling your plays???
I'm with you dtg, I hate to see more than one guy call plays...one guy only.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by buck:
Are, and to what extent, are quarterbacks responsible for the sacks that they take?

On their cumulative offensive summary page, PFF assigns individual players responsibility for allowing sacks, and yes, PFF does assign responsibility for sacks to quarterbacks.

The answer to my question would appear to be: Yes, some sacks on the quarterback.

I went through PFF's cumulative offensive summary pages, and compiled the numbers of sacks that were "on the quarterback."

The table below shows the results.

also posted in the Kaepernick thread.
Thought it was interesting, it seems how often a QB is sacked is almost directly related to his style of play. The immobile quick release pocket passer types Marino and Peyton Manning both were sacked the least once in every 31 attempts. QBs with high rushing yards Steve Young (every 11.58 times) Kaepernick (every 11.66 times) Michael Vick (every 10.5), Russell Wilson (every 10.94 times). The last 10 years the average QB was sacked once for every 19.23 attempts. I could not believe the skilled running types got sacked at double the average. That is obviously the result of holding the ball an excessive amount of time to try to make something happen. I had figured their running skills would negate a lot of the excessive holding of the ball, it does not.

I actually learned that years ago. I remember some stat that Dan Marino was one of the least sacked QBs. When you watch the immobile QBs in the pocket, they usually are very good in maneuvering amidst the chaos in the pocket. It is really a sight to behold. It would be great if Kap could develop that level of poise.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I'm with you dtg, I hate to see more than one guy call plays...one guy only.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I actually learned that years ago. I remember some stat that Dan Marino was one of the least sacked QBs. When you watch the immobile QBs in the pocket, they usually are very good in maneuvering amidst the chaos in the pocket. It is really a sight to behold. It would be great if Kap could develop that level of poise.

Kaepernick is getting better and better at buying time. Last year he would just bolt out of the pocket, now he tries to just manuever around until running is absolutely necessary. He hasn't had to develop this with his running ability. Manning and Marino had no choice...self preservation! LOL! But they were/are masters!
  • buck
  • Veteran
After playing 8 games:

SF is 7th worst in the league with 18 dropped passes.

SF is also 7th worst in % of attempts dropped with 6.98 % of pass attempts dropped.

• buck
  • Veteran
The SF offense has been called for 41 penalties.

Not all of these penalties have been enforced; some have been declined.

Here is the player with the number of penalties called.

Joe Staley 5
Kaepernick 4
Anquan Boldin 4
Mike Iupati 3
Alex Boone 3
Joe Looney 3
Michael Crabtree 3
Vernon Davis 3
Anthony Davis 2
Jonathan Martin 2
Brandon Lloyd 2
Daniel Kilgore 1
Marcus Martin 1
Steve Johnson 1
Derek Carrier 1
Carlos Hyde 1
Frank Gore 1
Bruce Miller 1
  • buck
  • Veteran
Quarterback Age

I am not sure if Kaepernick is 26 or 27.

Age is often relevant to the job undertaken.

The question is "Is Kaepernick a young quarterback?

I am going to argue that Kaepernick is in fact, despite his chronological age, a young quarterback.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Kaepernick's numbers after 8 games

[ Edited by buck on Nov 3, 2014 at 5:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone