LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

OUR PASSING GAME---ANOTHER LOOK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
They call two plays on every down. I think the passing game coordinator gauges the best pass plays that work in the down and distance they are in, and the run game coordinator works the run side. It may be that G-ro is the final decision maker and then it's transmitted to Harbaugh to get it to Colin. If this is the method, then there is Lots of consultations and lots of possible ways the play call can be screwed up. I can't really argue that G-ro and the play calling scheme is bad since we've gone to 3 straight championship games, but the brain fart calls and mental errors are being caused by something.

I hate it! To me, there has to be one guy who knows which pass and run plays work off the same situation and against varying defenses. Saves time and one mind can do a better job of calling the plays...perhaps just my prejudice!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Are, and to what extent, are quarterbacks responsible for the sacks that they take?

On their cumulative offensive summary page, PFF assigns individual players responsibility for allowing sacks, and yes, PFF does assign responsibility for sacks to quarterbacks.

The answer to my question would appear to be: Yes, some sacks on the quarterback.

I went through PFF's cumulative offensive summary pages, and compiled the numbers of sacks that were "on the quarterback."

The table below shows the results.

also posted in the Kaepernick thread.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Pass Distribution

Breadth (width) of the field

[/b]

Depth of the field

this is great thanks. Are we number two in the league in giving up sacks? Holy moly. do you have the league distribution for passes over the middle.
Dupe
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 28, 2014 at 5:31 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Are, and to what extent, are quarterbacks responsible for the sacks that they take?

On their cumulative offensive summary page, PFF assigns individual players responsibility for allowing sacks, and yes, PFF does assign responsibility for sacks to quarterbacks.

The answer to my question would appear to be: Yes, some sacks on the quarterback.

I went through PFF's cumulative offensive summary pages, and compiled the numbers of sacks that were "on the quarterback."

The table below shows the results.

also posted in the Kaepernick thread.
Thought it was interesting, it seems how often a QB is sacked is almost directly related to his style of play. The immobile quick release pocket passer types Marino and Peyton Manning both were sacked the least once in every 31 attempts. QBs with high rushing yards Steve Young (every 11.58 times) Kaepernick (every 11.66 times) Michael Vick (every 10.5), Russell Wilson (every 10.94 times). The last 10 years the average QB was sacked once for every 19.23 attempts. I could not believe the skilled running types got sacked at double the average. That is obviously the result of holding the ball an excessive amount of time to try to make something happen. I had figured their running skills would negate a lot of the excessive holding of the ball, it does not.
  • buck
  • Veteran
This is about our overall offense; not just passing.

Another area our offense could use some improvement.

The lower the rank, the better.

our passing attack will continue to improve , but I wanna see our running game get back to busting heads again and our TE's more involved in the passing game
  • buck
  • Veteran
As of today, PFF signature stats have Kaepernick

PFF QB Rating--5th

Accuracy %----5th

Under Pressure---5th

Play Action------19th
(based upon NFL Quarterback Rating on Play Action passes)

2.5 seconds or less in pocket---26th
(based NFL Quarterback Rating)

2.6 seconds of more in the pocket---5th
(based upon NFL Quarterback Rating)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
They call two plays on every down. I think the passing game coordinator gauges the best pass plays that work in the down and distance they are in, and the run game coordinator works the run side. It may be that G-ro is the final decision maker and then it's transmitted to Harbaugh to get it to Colin. If this is the method, then there is Lots of consultations and lots of possible ways the play call can be screwed up. I can't really argue that G-ro and the play calling scheme is bad since we've gone to 3 straight championship games, but the brain fart calls and mental errors are being caused by something.

I hate it! To me, there has to be one guy who knows which pass and run plays work off the same situation and against varying defenses. Saves time and one mind can do a better job of calling the plays...perhaps just my prejudice!

It may be a good one. Two heads are supposed to be better than one, but it may just create inconsistencies. It may be just two more ways the playcall can be screwed up.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
our passing attack will continue to improve , but I wanna see our running game get back to busting heads again and our TE's more involved in the passing game

Marcus should help. I hope. We'll see. Kilgore was doing well, but he got the job when Marcus got hurt in pre-season. Now it's Marcus. I hope he does well, and I hope we don't get Colin killed with Marcus in pass protection.
Imagine if Peyton had the weapons we have. It's sad

Marcus should help. I hope. We'll see. Kilgore was doing well, but he got the job when Marcus got hurt in pre-season. Now it's Marcus. I hope he does well, and I hope we don't get Colin killed with Marcus in pass protection.

Will be interesting to see! Sometimes you don't know how weak a position is until you fill it with an upgrade! He may make Iupati and Boone better...or not.

Or are you talking about Lattimore?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 28, 2014 at 7:17 PM ]
Originally posted by CityKing415:
Imagine if Peyton had the weapons we have. It's sad
Remember, he turned down the job here because he didn't like the offense. Presumably he felt he wouldn't do well here.
[ Edited by carlgo on Oct 28, 2014 at 7:54 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Will be interesting to see! Sometimes you don't know how weak a position is until you fill it with an upgrade! He may make Iupati and Boone better...or not.

Or are you talking about Lattimore?

No, you got it right, the center. As for RB Marcus, it will be interesting how he holds up in pass protection.
Share 49ersWebzone