There are 241 users in the forums

OUR PASSING GAME---ANOTHER LOOK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
THE TABLE BELOW SHOWS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OUR PENALTIES AND OUR OPPONENTS’

Looks to me like the team needs to be more disciplined.

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Our 3rd down conversion rate over the Harbaugh-Roman years.

This is awesome!!

It is much better this year, but it is still not awesome.

I agree, but it's a significant improvement!! And I think Stevie Johnson and Brandon Lloyd have a lot to do with it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
from www.sportingcharts.com

Toxic Differential: 2014 NFL Season

Toxic Differential is a statistic in football used to measure a team on their ability in creating and preventing both turnovers and explosive plays.

Toxic Differential is calculated by adding together a team’s turnover differential (takeaways - giveaways) and its big play differential (big plays for - big plays against).

Toxic differential is a combination of three different differential statistics:

1) Turnover differential, which is the difference between the total number of takeaways (opponent turnovers) less the total number of giveaways (team turnovers.

2) Passing Big Play differential, which is the difference between the total number of passing plays of 25+ yards by the team less the total number of passing plays of 25+ yards the team gave up.

3) Rushing Big Play differential, which is the difference between the total number of rushing plays of 10+ yards by the team less the total number of rushing plays of 10+ yards the team gave up.

Simply add these three up.

A higher toxic differential is better.

• buck
  • Veteran
SF has 37 big plays so far this season as defined by Sportingcharts.com.

This year SF has 14 passing big plays: completions of 25 or more yards.

This year SF has 23 rushing big plays; rushes of 10 yards or more.

Pass---Kaepernick---14
Rush--- Gore--------10
Rush---Kaepernick---8
Rush---Hyde---------4
Rush--- Ellington---1

• Giedi
  • Veteran
THE TABLE BELOW SHOWS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OUR PENALTIES AND OUR OPPONENTS�€™

Looks to me like the team needs to be more disciplined.

I agree, and the coaches have a big task to eliminate that. I'm hoping more talent comming back will fix that. I think a possible cause of the penalties is players pressing too hard because they don't have the talent they had last year due to injuries. Also, I think 10+ rookies made the roster so youth may have something to do with the penalties too.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I agree, and the coaches have a big task to eliminate that. I'm hoping more talent comming back will fix that. I think a possible cause of the penalties is players pressing too hard because they don't have the talent they had last year due to injuries. Also, I think 10+ rookies made the roster so youth may have something to do with the penalties too.

Given the penalty numbers over the four years, I would assign more of responsibility to the coaching staff than I would the rookies.

Given the penalty numbers over the four years, I would assign more of responsibility to the coaching staff than I would the rookies.

I would say that our intricate running game and formations lends itself to delay of games and illegal formations, but that's about it.

This is a huge statistic. This shows how the quarterback bails out the team.

We are still worst on 1st down. We are horrible on 1st and 10.
Think about this for a minute. When our offense coordinator has the entire playbook available on first and ten, that is when our passing game is at its WORST.
When we are backed up against a wall on third down, and everybody is looking at the quarterback, that is when our passing game is at its BEST.

That is inexcusable.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Think about this for a minute. When our offense coordinator has the entire playbook available on first and ten, that is when our passing game is at its WORST.
When we are backed up against a wall on third down, and everybody is looking at the quarterback, that is when our passing game is at its BEST.

That is inexcusable.

Ya, that's pretty inexcusable. I've been on Roman's side pretty consistently, but your statement is hard to argue with.

I will say that our short passing game on underneath-middle of the field passes have been much better this year.

Another issue I have is our deep fade route plays on 3rd and short ... Kap has never been great at those, and while I understand trying to fool the defense, we've stalled numerous drives going with that play-call.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I would say that our intricate running game and formations lends itself to delay of games and illegal formations, but that's about it.

The coaching staff is responsible in good part to ensure that the players play with discipline and under control. I see too many penalties and mental mistakes to think it just the players.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

The coaching staff is responsible in good part to ensure that the players play with discipline and under control. I see too many penalties and mental mistakes to think it just the players.

Well, the coaching staff has a big job in all areas including penalty reduction, but I do see the trend dropping a bit, once I look at all 4 years. I know VD had a couple of penalties because he was injured and coming back and got a false start, and Brooks got caught on a couple of illegal hands to the face penalties. So in addition to complicated Schemes, youth, and players pressing too much - I think injuries have something to do with it too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

That is inexcusable.

This is where you have to be careful about concluding we are bad at passing on first downs, because Buck posted a stat many weeks ago which said that we have an almost 5+ yards per carry on the run on first downs. So while we may not pass much on first downs, we run, and when we run, we are generally successful.
  • buck
  • Veteran
After seven games, SF in 22nd in the league in pass attempts per game with 33.14.

After seven games, SF in 7th in the league in rush attempts per game with 30.

We have rushed a total of 220 times.

We have passed a total of 232 times.

Rushing----48.67%

Passing----51.33%

Yards gained per rush attempt

4.2 yards per carry; 13th in the league.

Yards gained per pass attempt

7.57 yards per pass attempt; 7th in the league.

edit: our running backs (half backs and fullbacks) have 154 carries for 586 yards.

That is 3.81 yards per rushing attempt by our running backs.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM ]
Well, the coaching staff has a big job in all areas including penalty reduction, but I do see the trend dropping a bit, once I look at all 4 years. I know VD had a couple of penalties because he was injured and coming back and got a false start, and Brooks got caught on a couple of illegal hands to the face penalties. So in addition to complicated Schemes, youth, and players pressing too much - I think injuries have something to do with it too.

It seems several plays per game are time/coach related, but the Denver game was just awful for mental errors. Injuries have something to do with this...not just the inexperienced guys coming in but the vets trying to do too much making up for the missing players.

I still don't understand the play calling method! Roman calls the run plays, Chryst calls the pass plays, Harbaugh interjects, Mangini in charge of the TEs...can anyone else be brought in to slow down the process? Maybe they could call Jed every down and run it by him. If it works it's wonderful, when it doesn't...I complain...Please! Robargh...stop me from complaining!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

It seems several plays per game are time/coach related, but the Denver game was just awful for mental errors. Injuries have something to do with this...not just the inexperienced guys coming in but the vets trying to do too much making up for the missing players.

I still don't understand the play calling method! Roman calls the run plays, Chryst calls the pass plays, Harbaugh interjects, Mangini in charge of the TEs...can anyone else be brought in to slow down the process? Maybe they could call Jed every down and run it by him. If it works it's wonderful, when it doesn't...I complain...Please! Robargh...stop me from complaining!

They call two plays on every down. I think the passing game coordinator gauges the best pass plays that work in the down and distance they are in, and the run game coordinator works the run side. It may be that G-ro is the final decision maker and then it's transmitted to Harbaugh to get it to Colin. If this is the method, then there is Lots of consultations and lots of possible ways the play call can be screwed up. I can't really argue that G-ro and the play calling scheme is bad since we've gone to 3 straight championship games, but the brain fart calls and mental errors are being caused by something.
Share 49ersWebzone