There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OUR PASSING GAME---ANOTHER LOOK

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I hope the "kap is still looking at one player" is untrue. Because if not, it doesn't matter one whit what changes we make on offense. Against elite teams, SEA in particular, if kap looks down his receiver, our O isn't going anywhere. So let's hope kap has made adjustments, ie, has learned how not to stared down his receivers, but I cannot see that happening just over the end of season period. If anything, if kap just gets some better at not staring, that would be a big break for us.

Great point. Plus it does seem Roman put the handcuffs on CK last year and they were running more simplistic receiving routes. I'm hoping our new QB guru can help CK with his touch passes and reading his progressions. For this offense to really click, I think we need to incorporate screens, crossing patterns and generally more passes thrown to the intermediate middle. Were these plays phased out of the playbook last year due to lack of trust/CK's inexperience? Yes probably.

But it's important topic. If CK struggles making these throws then our offense becomes too limited and predictable.
Why would people around here be expecting the same set of play calling when the receiving corps has been beefed up to a level we haven't seen in many years?
Originally posted by crake49:
Why would people around here be expecting the same set of play calling when the receiving corps has been beefed up to a level we haven't seen in many years?

QB ability or lack thereof.

Because Harbaugh has never drastically changed his game plans, at any level, regardless of available personnel.
The first answer is silly because the QB they've got has already put in the best season since the Garcia era even in what most would consider a down year. He's also the first Niner QB to throw for over 400 yards with three TD's and no interceptions since Joe Montana. The Niners obviously want to go forward with Kaepernick at this point. I don't think Kaepernick's ability is the limiting factor this year. There may have been some of that last year with the lack of receivers.

I would just point out that Harbaugh is not a fool and he's probably been fashioning an offense he thinks fits the team at the time. In 2012, he had two different QB's and the offense was in a state of flux - running is the safest route. In 2013, he really didn't have what anyone would call a deep receiving corps. Most of the season, he had one good possession receiver and one good Tight end. You can't build a sophisticated passing game with that. He also had a QB who was clearly being forced to play in a style out of his comfort zone.

This year, Kaepernick gets another full off-season, has a deep group of good receivers, may have at least one legitimate speed threat on the outside. At this point, I'm going to take the coaches at their word that we'll see a bit of expansion in the passing game. I don't expect to see 4 receiver spreads or anything like that. But, I'll be surprised if we don't see some legitimate 3-receiver sets. 3 receivers, Davis and one running back could present challenges to defenses who have been gearing up to stop a run-first team.
[ Edited by crake49 on Jun 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Because Harbaugh has never drastically changed his game plans, at any level, regardless of available personnel.

His philosophy has stayed consistent, very committed to power running and play-action passing, but he has shown a willingness to add wrinkles to the offense.

The pistol was not something he used at Stanford, or the first 1.5 years in SF. He added that to accommodate Kap, and that was a pretty drastic move.

Adding more multiple WR sets would not be a drastic change, just an added wrinkle. It doesn't even necessarily mean we'll throw more. You can always run power from 3 WR sets.

Harbaugh loves to have a "multiple" offense. He wants to be able to run or throw from any alignment. The more you can do, the better.