LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

OUR PASSING GAME---ANOTHER LOOK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Listened to an interview.

Pretty sure that Harbaugh said the Whitfield brought a lot of quarter back drills with him.

Harbaugh indicated that he knew Whitfield and that they shared a common perspective.

Think the addition of Whitfield will benefit all of the quarterbacks on the roster.

I think he has the same background as former arena leauger Kurt Warner. I know that in arena league everything regarding QB's is quick and fast. That will help Colin a lot if George can make his decision making faster and more correct. I think George is a big propounder of progression offense, and I think Harbaugh is more the triangle stretch offense. It will be interesting to see how the QB'S perform in pre season with new teaching. As an added note, it looks like Blaine is picking up the offense quickly. (Sorry no link - just read it in one of the articles and I can't remember which.)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
DP
[ Edited by Giedi on Jun 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
We have a slant!!!!

Kaepernick went on to complete a slant to Jacobs and then spiked the ball to set up one last shot at the end zone. The offense failed to score points as Kaepernick's pass was broken up by Cook to end the day.

Ahhh! PaseoDoc should be very happy today!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Having an average completion percentage is not a strength but a handicap in a team seeking to win the Super Bowl. This isn't all on Kaep, but also on the receivers, Harbaugh and Roman. But average is not good enough.

It would really matter if this was a true pass first WCO. But the offense is a more run first vertical offense, and it's my opinion that in such offenses *anything* approaching 60% is actually outstanding. I think the Mad Bomber never even hit 55%.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think he has the same background as former arena leauger Kurt Warner. I know that in arena league everything regarding QB's is quick and fast. That will help Colin a lot if George can make his decision making faster and more correct. I think George is a big propounder of progression offense, and I think Harbaugh is more the triangle stretch offense. It will be interesting to see how the QB'S perform in pre season with new teaching. As an added note, it looks like Blaine is picking up the offense quickly. (Sorry no link - just read it in one of the articles and I can't remember which.)

The influence of the arena league has been somewhat understated. I still remember hearing an interveiw with Warner in either '99 or 2000 in which he said it was almost unfair that in the nfl the field was twice as long and twice as wide. Anything that speeds up a qb ability to progress and read is a big positive.

On sort of a side note, how crazy is it that holmgren had farve, Brunell and warner as his qbs in the camp of '94. While warner never stuck and it took the arena league to give him a plus skill it still pretty crazy to think about the group of qbs they amassed.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 11, 2014 at 10:59 AM ]
It would really matter if this was a true pass first WCO. But the offense is a more run first vertical offense, and it's my opinion that in such offenses *anything* approaching 60% is actually outstanding. I think the Mad Bomber never even hit 55%.

No he didn't. different era though. 50% was smokin' back in the day.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LamoDa00.htm
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

The influence of Walsh and more pass friendly rules have really started the up tick of completion %. Off the top if my head, I know that in 1989 the league ave was around 55-56% and it has been creeping up towards 60% since then. In fact, I think last year it was right about 61%ish.
  • buck
  • Veteran
In the regular season last year, the average completion percent was 61.11%.

In the play-offs the average completion percent was 62.83%.

I would say the 49ers (Kaepernick, the receiving corps, and the coaching staff)have some work to do.

Throw Whitfield in there also.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

The influence of Walsh and more pass friendly rules have really started the up tick of completion %. Off the top if my head, I know that in 1989 the league ave was around 55-56% and it has been creeping up towards 60% since then. In fact, I think last year it was right about 61%ish.

The biggest single factor which affects completion percentage is distance. The more shorter passes, the better the completion percentage.
Originally posted by crake49:
The biggest single factor which affects completion percentage is distance. The more shorter passes, the better the completion percentage.

This is very true. A completion % 50-55 for passes over 20 yards is a real accomplishment. If memory serves me, foles attempted the most passes of 20 yards or more and it was only like 17-18% of his throws. So the league today is much like our dynasty years offense in that it is played primarily within 20 yards of the LOS.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM ]

As an added note, it looks like Blaine is picking up the offense quickly. (Sorry no link - just read it in one of the articles and I can't remember which.)

Not sure where you read that as I remember reading the opposite. According to the article I read, pretty much all our QBs are performing better then Gabbert. They said hes having the same issues he's had all along in Jax (ie: inability to make quick decisions).
Boy, you got that right Giedi. Whitfield can't start soon enough for me. And yes, we may finally see some bang bang slants added to the playbook. Really tho, supposedly the Arena Football background is exactly what kap needs a big dose of. Everything there is predicated on bam bam offense, and quick decisions are a must. Exactly the sweet spot for kap and his continued learning. If kap had just that one ability added to his arsenal (successfully), he could become one of the greats. Quick hitters right now would be the one area where kap's biggest void is. Whitfield is bound to help him with the bang bang offense...and quick solutions to rapid fire D changes. What more perfect guy could Coach have brought in? Wow, I like this move. Even better, if kap grasps this early on, I think he will love it also.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
As an added note, it looks like Blaine is picking up the offense quickly. (Sorry no link - just read it in one of the articles and I can't remember which.)

Not sure where you read that as I remember reading the opposite. According to the article I read, pretty much all our QBs are performing better then Gabbert. They said hes having the same issues he's had all along in Jax (ie: inability to make quick decisions).

Links would be nice to have, and if you read something saving the link is not all that complicated.

Instead of "oh, I think I remember that somebody said", we get mr. x said y and here is the link.

Providing links enhances the discussion, and this forum is all about discussion.

So, please give those of us who are slow and need solid information the links we need to read the information.

As a it really helps to get the links.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Boy, you got that right Giedi. Whitfield can't start soon enough for me. And yes, we may finally see some bang bang slants added to the playbook. Really tho, supposedly the Arena Football background is exactly what kap needs a big dose of. Everything there is predicated on bam bam offense, and quick decisions are a must. Exactly the sweet spot for kap and his continued learning. If kap had just that one ability added to his arsenal (successfully), he could become one of the greats. Quick hitters right now would be the one area where kap's biggest void is. Whitfield is bound to help him with the bang bang offense...and quick solutions to rapid fire D changes. What more perfect guy could Coach have brought in? Wow, I like this move. Even better, if kap grasps this early on, I think he will love it also.

Analysis of Kaepernick, from ESPN commentator and former starter Mark Brunell, who said the 49ers' quarterback sometimes forces throws to his primary receiver. "My suggestion is: Focus on getting to your secondary receivers, find your checkdowns," Brunell said in a recent segment. "Some of the best decisions that quarterbacks make throughout the course of a game and throughout the course of a season are basically finding the guys that aren't necessarily 15-20 yards down field. They're the check-downs right in front of you that if you complete them, they keep drives alive. That's what Colin needs to work on."
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/11/6476774/dueling-qb-gurus-no-whitfield.html
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Analysis of Kaepernick, from ESPN commentator and former starter Mark Brunell, who said the 49ers' quarterback sometimes forces throws to his primary receiver. "My suggestion is: Focus on getting to your secondary receivers, find your checkdowns," Brunell said in a recent segment. "Some of the best decisions that quarterbacks make throughout the course of a game and throughout the course of a season are basically finding the guys that aren't necessarily 15-20 yards down field. They're the check-downs right in front of you that if you complete them, they keep drives alive. That's what Colin needs to work on."
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/11/6476774/dueling-qb-gurus-no-whitfield.html

Very much agree but take these passing plays on an individual basis. Each play design dictates everything to start, then the defense. If it's a play design where there IS a clear secondary read, agreed...but if this secondary read is all the way over on the left sideline while the primary read is in isolation on the right sideline, you have to take this into consideration as well. And check-downs? Not every play has a check down (although they should). And many plays (AR's) have only one primary read (team completion concept). How CK is instructed as well comes into focus: Look to your primary read and if not there, pick up yards with your legs. So each passing play must be looked at in context.

But overall, I feel that if we continue to provide block-then-release RB's/FB's/TE's as check down options, if CK learns this ONE element to his intermediate passing game, he could be unstoppable! The LB's and DB's have to be so focused on the intermediate routes and spying CK that these check downs are wide open with nobody covering them. Add this one element and watch how much more effective our offense is, not only in the passing game but the run game as well.
Share 49ersWebzone