LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

OUR PASSING GAME---ANOTHER LOOK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
I can see why! I believe in listening to the reporter from Santa Clara on NFLN, they had also noted his total command of the offense/playbook and how he is much more vocal and as a natural deduction, this means that he can now focus excusively on the aforementioned and like you said, polishing his game and even experiementing a bit. Perhaps this is the year we see the full compliment of not only WCO designs but concepts installed with CK taking many more snaps under center, footwork concentration (tied to routes), progression reading, utilization of the outlets/short game, short and deep-game accuracy, etc. It's speculation on my part but I also feel that the FO is putting additional pressure on Harbaugh and the offensive staff and system to expand this year. I really do...but not without first loading up the cupboards for them! I can't wait to watch...

I really do believe that harbaugh's vision of his passing game is one that is a WCO attack. I feel that his ultimate idea of his total offense is the aforementioned WCO passing attack and a smashmouth running game. Well as we have seen the ground game has been installed in full force. Now as for the passing attack I think that is one of the trade offs of choosing colin over Alex was a slower installation of this WCO passing game. I'm sure jim justified it in his mind because maybe he saw Alex as an 8.5 grade and had already reached his ceiling. Now maybe at the switch colin was an 8.0 grade but jim saw a max grade of 9.5 with him. In Jim's mind he was going to do anything necessary to get the most out of Colin's ability even if it meant using more AR/one read/read option stuff until he could get the entire WCO passing game installed. Again this is speculation on my part, but the amount of WCO concepts we've seen on tape only makes sense if the main plan is full installation.

I gotta a gut feeling this was the case. I hope my feeling is right because if so, we got the potential to see another steve young type qb.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
I can see why! I believe in listening to the reporter from Santa Clara on NFLN, they had also noted his total command of the offense/playbook and how he is much more vocal and as a natural deduction, this means that he can now focus excusively on the aforementioned and like you said, polishing his game and even experiementing a bit. Perhaps this is the year we see the full compliment of not only WCO designs but concepts installed with CK taking many more snaps under center, footwork concentration (tied to routes), progression reading, utilization of the outlets/short game, short and deep-game accuracy, etc. It's speculation on my part but I also feel that the FO is putting additional pressure on Harbaugh and the offensive staff and system to expand this year. I really do...but not without first loading up the cupboards for them! I can't wait to watch...

I really do believe that harbaugh's vision of his passing game is one that is a WCO attack. I feel that his ultimate idea of his total offense is the aforementioned WCO passing attack and a smashmouth running game. Well as we have seen the ground game has been installed in full force. Now as for the passing attack I think that is one of the trade offs of choosing colin over Alex was a slower installation of this WCO passing game. I'm sure jim justified it in his mind because maybe he saw Alex as an 8.5 grade and had already reached his ceiling. Now maybe at the switch colin was an 8.0 grade but jim saw a max grade of 9.5 with him. In Jim's mind he was going to do anything necessary to get the most out of Colin's ability even if it meant using more AR/one read/read option stuff until he could get the entire WCO passing game installed. Again this is speculation on my part, but the amount of WCO concepts we've seen on tape only makes sense if the main plan is full installation.

I gotta a gut feeling this was the case. I hope my feeling is right because if so, we got the potential to see another steve young type qb.

And speaking of Steve Young:

Steve Young -- the classic run-and-throw NFL quarterback -- has an idea for Colin Kaepernick this summer. Tie up your legs. You read that right. Tuesday, on ESPN's "NFL Live" the former San Francisco 49ers star quarterback had that advice for the current fast-legged, big-armed 49ers passer. Young simply thinks Kaepernick needs to stop relying on his legs and try to become a better pocket quarterback as he enters his second full season as an NFL starter. "That's going to be a very difficult thing for Colin to master," Young said about Kaepernick's penchant to leave the pocket. "He's going to have to tie his legs in training camp. Literally, he should tie his legs, physically, so he can't do anything but throw from the pocket."

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7473/steve-youngs-advice-for-kaepernick

Good advice!

Steve Young -- the classic run-and-throw NFL quarterback -- has an idea for Colin Kaepernick this summer. Tie up your legs. You read that right. Tuesday, on ESPN's "NFL Live" the former San Francisco 49ers star quarterback had that advice for the current fast-legged, big-armed 49ers passer. Young simply thinks Kaepernick needs to stop relying on his legs and try to become a better pocket quarterback as he enters his second full season as an NFL starter. "That's going to be a very difficult thing for Colin to master," Young said about Kaepernick's penchant to leave the pocket. "He's going to have to tie his legs in training camp. Literally, he should tie his legs, physically, so he can't do anything but throw from the pocket."

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7473/steve-youngs-advice-for-kaepernick

Good advice!

It was very difficult for Young to make that transition but he had Walsh as his tutor! Not sure tying CK's legs would help his passing mechanics though. Wonder if he got this from Walsh, who had boxed. It is a trainging idea used in boxing to help develop balance and footwork.
  • buck
  • Veteran
It looks our receiving corps has been fortified.

Kaepernick is working on his game.

Kilgore or Martin should provide some improvement on the offensive line.

Harbaugh has talked about running more 3 receiver sets, which would indicate we will be running a more diversified passing attack..

My guess is that the passing game is going to improve.
Originally posted by buck:
It looks our receiving corps has been fortified.

Kaepernick is working on his game.

Kilgore or Martin should provide some improvement on the offensive line.

Harbaugh has talked about running more 3 receiver sets, which would indicate we will be running a more diversified passing attack..

My guess is that the passing game is going to improve.

Agree
Agree
Agree
Agree
Hope so!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It was very difficult for Young to make that transition but he had Walsh as his tutor! Not sure tying CK's legs would help his passing mechanics though. Wonder if he got this from Walsh, who had boxed. It is a trainging idea used in boxing to help develop balance and footwork.

Good advice!

I seen this interview on sportscenter yesterday. At first steve said colin needs to tie his feet to the receivers routes(the classic foundation of a WCO passing game), then he went on to say to accomplish this he might actually have to tie his legs in training camp. I'm sure this is the hardest part of the development because I'm sure in kaeps mind these runs can be 15-20 yard rips. But in the grand scheme, operating from the pocket could lead to 100 or so more yards passing and it makes the run that you do take as dagger shots.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

make him chase and try to catch chickens

Good advice!

I seen this interview on sportscenter yesterday. At first steve said colin needs to tie his feet to the receivers routes(the classic foundation of a WCO passing game), then he went on to say to accomplish this he might actually have to tie his legs in training camp. I'm sure this is the hardest part of the development because I'm sure in kaeps mind these runs can be 15-20 yard rips. But in the grand scheme, operating from the pocket could lead to 100 or so more yards passing and it makes the run that you do take as dagger shots.

Fantastic news! You know we'll be watching this very closely in pre season.

I'd actually like to see him take 100% of the snaps from under center, work on slant pattern timing, post routes, crossing pattern, finding the TE's in the soft holes, touch on check downs and swing passes, touch on deeper sideline routes (more arch), hi-lo concepts implemented more, less trying to throw through DB's, etc. It should be fun to watch evolve.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Truth. But Rivers had zero experience in Mike McCoy's offense compared to 3 years of stability with CK. I'm not trying to get into a comparision between the two QB's but used that as a reference point for how a HC/OC didn't use personnel or an inexperienced QB (new to the system) as an excuse for not expanding the offense and growing throughout the year, becoming more and more dynamic; working with the personnel you had with an entire off season to prepare (the injury to Crabtree was very early).

I'm less concerned about Roman as I am about the offensive philosophy. To me, it still feels like a piece-meal offense and doesn't have a strong foundation of anything...bits and parts of WCO designs (but not concepts), some spread, Q-formations, Coryell routes, Pistol, power run, jumbo formations/personnel, shifts and motions, smoke screens, etc. and players such as Johnson said it's like learning Chinese and McDonald noted it was so complicated his rookie season was a blur.

How hard is it to utilize supreme talent in the short passing game? Shouldn't that be the first part of installation in your passing game for a younger QB? Then intermediate and deeper and then trickier formations such as the option, roll-rights, QB designed runs, etc.? I just think with all the personnel we had, there was plenty HaRoman could have done to expand the offense and use the 53, not just the 37 (as Baalke noted). We could have made life for CK way easier esp. constantly putting him behind the 8-ball on 2nd and 3rd and longs d/t predictable play calling on 1st downs. That has nothing to do with CK himself or his experience (i.e. handing off to Gore against a stacked run blitzing defense). Calling passing desitgns that truly don't have outs/outlets for him or realistic secondary receicers other than in a scramble drill.

At the end of the day, I just feel like too much blame has been placed on CK's feet (inexperience) and not an equal share to the offensive philosophy (and an inexperienced OC/Pro system) while we conveniently ignore how successful other teams were offensively with far less talent than we had. The two work hand-in-hand IMHO.

This year, with the emphasis by the FO to expand the offense and current talks of utilizing a 3rd WR more (and 2nd TE), we shall see how this evolution goes esp. with the added beef in the backfield and OL. I'm excited to see what happens but currently, I'm still curbing my enthusiasm until the proof is on the field and the results are in. Until then, I'll continue to see CK as the good soldier with room to grow personally (like I do equally for our offensive philosophy and HaRoman themselves).

I don't agree or disagree with what you said above. Clearly G-ro isn't thee most experienced OC in the nfl. And Colin isn't a really experienced QB in the NFL either. The Tight End position is probably the most important position in this offense since it is involved in both the run and the pass. I actually see a new offense emerging from the Mangiani/Roman cooperation. Mangiani has experience as a DC and that will help Roman in his role as OC. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them combined come up with an offense that goes beyond Al's vertical stretch offense, the WCO, and the Coryell.

Like you said, you think this is a hodge podge of various offenses glued together in Frankenstein fashion. I don't disagree. But I also think it's moving in a more unique direction. A direction that maybe only two so called *geniuses* on offense and defense can come up with.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Good advice!

I have always thought that Harbaugh was a decently mmobile QB. Not in Colin's class mobility, but probably a similar in mobility to Alex. I think if anybody can corral those legs and develop Colin's pocket vision, it would be Harbaugh. Folks have disagreed me that Harbaugh is this decades Bill Walsh in QB development skill. First of all I agree Bill is in a class by himself and that Harbaugh has a long way to go before he has two QB'S tutored under him in the Hall of Fame. But given Fat Andy, Bellicheat, Norve, McArthy, and Pagano - I think he's head and and shoulders above these QB developer guys.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
My thought has always been, his college offense has done him no favors in regards to a pro style attack. He ran that offense for four years and ran it quite successfully. Now i don't pretend to be a pistol offense expert, but the option run portion of that offense seemed to be its bread and butter and therefore it was the aspect the defense had to prepare for the most. As a result, I'm sure when they dialed up a pass play it usually resulted in a wide open target and that was kaeps look. I'm sure it tAkes a great deal of time to unlearn this approach. Fact are it's very hard to play pro qb even when you ran a pro style offense in college. I'm pleased and believe kaep is gonna get to the level he needs to. Only problem is it takes time. However, the numbers he has put learning are pretty amazing and when he does put it together it should be a site to behold.

I think the pistol is still a viable offense, but it needs a strong and consistent passing side. The scrape exchange defense defeats it, but that is essentially a stunt which is really a pass defense and is unsound as a consistent run defense.

All in all I think sizable elements of some college offenses are viable in the NFL. The no huddle, 4, wide, run and shoot, all have had some success in the NFL. It's just a matter of tying these systems into a well designed overall philosophy that generates consistent wins in all kinds of games and weathers.
I wonder if this is the year if the coaching staff calls a SCREEN pass. Don't mean to derail a discussion, but since it's considered a pass-play.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Giedi:
Truth. But Rivers had zero experience in Mike McCoy's offense compared to 3 years of stability with CK. I'm not trying to get into a comparision between the two QB's but used that as a reference point for how a HC/OC didn't use personnel or an inexperienced QB (new to the system) as an excuse for not expanding the offense and growing throughout the year, becoming more and more dynamic; working with the personnel you had with an entire off season to prepare (the injury to Crabtree was very early).

I'm less concerned about Roman as I am about the offensive philosophy. To me, it still feels like a piece-meal offense and doesn't have a strong foundation of anything...bits and parts of WCO designs (but not concepts), some spread, Q-formations, Coryell routes, Pistol, power run, jumbo formations/personnel, shifts and motions, smoke screens, etc. and players such as Johnson said it's like learning Chinese and McDonald noted it was so complicated his rookie season was a blur.

How hard is it to utilize supreme talent in the short passing game? Shouldn't that be the first part of installation in your passing game for a younger QB? Then intermediate and deeper and then trickier formations such as the option, roll-rights, QB designed runs, etc.? I just think with all the personnel we had, there was plenty HaRoman could have done to expand the offense and use the 53, not just the 37 (as Baalke noted). We could have made life for CK way easier esp. constantly putting him behind the 8-ball on 2nd and 3rd and longs d/t predictable play calling on 1st downs. That has nothing to do with CK himself or his experience (i.e. handing off to Gore against a stacked run blitzing defense). Calling passing desitgns that truly don't have outs/outlets for him or realistic secondary receicers other than in a scramble drill.

At the end of the day, I just feel like too much blame has been placed on CK's feet (inexperience) and not an equal share to the offensive philosophy (and an inexperienced OC/Pro system) while we conveniently ignore how successful other teams were offensively with far less talent than we had. The two work hand-in-hand IMHO.

This year, with the emphasis by the FO to expand the offense and current talks of utilizing a 3rd WR more (and 2nd TE), we shall see how this evolution goes esp. with the added beef in the backfield and OL. I'm excited to see what happens but currently, I'm still curbing my enthusiasm until the proof is on the field and the results are in. Until then, I'll continue to see CK as the good soldier with room to grow personally (like I do equally for our offensive philosophy and HaRoman themselves).

I don't agree or disagree with what you said above. Clearly G-ro isn't thee most experienced OC in the nfl. And Colin isn't a really experienced QB in the NFL either. The Tight End position is probably the most important position in this offense since it is involved in both the run and the pass. I actually see a new offense emerging from the Mangiani/Roman cooperation. Mangiani has experience as a DC and that will help Roman in his role as OC. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them combined come up with an offense that goes beyond Al's vertical stretch offense, the WCO, and the Coryell.

Like you said, you think this is a hodge podge of various offenses glued together in Frankenstein fashion. I don't disagree. But I also think it's moving in a more unique direction. A direction that maybe only two so called *geniuses* on offense and defense can come up with.

I agree that there is a lot of inexperience when it comes to the offensive coaches and the QB. There's simply no denying that as Kap only has a bit over a year of starting experience while HaRo is entering their fourth year in their NFL roles, while having to 'reset' when making the change to a young QB.

Many posters have alluded to this offense as a "multiple offense", "jack of all trades", "chameleon", and now "hodge podge offense". I agree with these takes. At one point I said it was Air Coryell as Gibbs ran it, but it is more than that. My assumption is that Harbaugh wants this to be an offense that can do it all, and depending on the opponent, the correct attack will be used for that specific day, or drive.

This offense goes Jumbo to empty backfield, and everything in between. Power run, play action vertical attack, WCO short game, read option, designed QB runs, it's all in the playbook. It's a high risk high reward offense. The risk is whether or not the players can handle all these different styles of attack, practice them, and be able to switch gears at a moment's notice. The reward is that if they can, the opposing defense has no idea what to game plan for, not only entering gameday, but from drive to drive. It's a steep learning curve for all the players.

There has been some discussion about the desire to become more balanced when it comes to trying to achieve a 50/50 ratio in run/pass. I am not so worried about a 50/50 split in that ratio. If the 49ers are playing a team that is defensively weak against the run, then run the ball 35 times. If the 49ers are playing a team that is weak against the pass, then throw it 35 times. I feel the emphasis should be about being equally effective at both the pass and the run, not so much calling 50% runs and 50% passes in any given game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFVNiner:
I wonder if this is the year if the coaching staff calls a SCREEN pass. Don't mean to derail a discussion, but since it's considered a pass-play.

i think we all know ,,, ahh never mind
Share 49ersWebzone