LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

OUR PASSING GAME---ANOTHER LOOK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Did it really jump that much? IIRC, it was Boldin and VD rotating between the team leader each game in receptions and then when Crabtree returned, his catches gradually increased and then he and Boldin rotated as reception leaders while VD's receptions declined greatly. I think this is a big reason VD is trying to get an extension NOW b/c he knows he played as a WR last year and these are the best his numbers will ever be esp. with the addition of Stevie Johnson, McDonald's increased role, Patton, Ellington, more power backs and perhaps, an H-back like Carrier or Greene (and Miller healthy) being added to the mix. I'd still put Crabtree as 100% the #1, Boldin #2 and then a big drop to Johnson and VD as the #3's and they'd be pretty close to identical...throw in a few bones for Patton, Ellington, Miller and McDonald. As far as receptions for the RB's? That's the one I genuinely care about!

In the five games with crabs back, boldin had 33 catches for 455 yards and crabs had 19 rec for 284. On a per game ave, boldin went from averaging 5 rec for 65 yards pre crabs return to almost 7 rec per game for 90 ypg. His increase accounted for the most of the teams +40 ypg pass increase. Boldin also had more catches in the playoffs too, but in that case it was 16 to 15. My hunch says crabs will be number 1 but if they were able to split equal catches that would be best for the team.

Kaep doesn't seem to have a problem getting two guys involved, it getting that 3rd and 4th that is gonna be the key.

Fantastic and thanks for the quick response. That's how I remember it as well..pretty even during the playoff run (as Crabtree got stronger and stronger). I think they rotated as leading receivers too. But to the overall point, yeah, I'd still list Crabtree as the #1 and he and Boldin would probably rotate as team reception leaders throughout the season with Crabtree closer to 1,000 yards, Boldin around 900 and better distribution for the rest but a decent drop to #3 (partly b/c the catches would be split and even between Johnson and VD). Hopefully the receptions increase a lot more also for McDonald, Miller, Patton, Ellington, Gore, Hyde, Hunter, etc.
My prediction 2014:

1. We will run Kap more ...just enough to cause defenses concern.
  2. We will spread the ball around more and not be myopic focused on Crabtree (plus his numbers going down make easier to negotiate)
  3. We will not always run Gore up the middle on first down. I can't be the only one to notice how that was lacking or an ineffective strategy.
  4. We will pass slightly more than run this year. 50.5% to 49.5%
  5. We will install the screen pass (ok... this is more hope than prediction)
  6. Our backfield in the NFL will be known as the 3 headed monster.
  7. The NFC Conference game will run through Levi. It will be the best game of the year similar to last year. It will mark the first time in Niner history to reach this game or this depth in the playoffs, 4 consecutive times.
^^^ We will add the swing pass, check downs, run some traditional TE sets (passes to the soft zones) and work on the deeper game with a double-triple-move post pattern!
Fantastic and thanks for the quick response. That's how I remember it as well..pretty even during the playoff run (as Crabtree got stronger and stronger). I think they rotated as leading receivers too. But to the overall point, yeah, I'd still list Crabtree as the #1 and he and Boldin would probably rotate as team reception leaders throughout the season with Crabtree closer to 1,000 yards, Boldin around 900 and better distribution for the rest but a decent drop to #3 (partly b/c the catches would be split and even between Johnson and VD). Hopefully the receptions increase a lot more also for McDonald, Miller, Patton, Ellington, Gore, Hyde, Hunter, etc.

Just looking at the names in your post, I reiterate how astounded I am at the depth of talent we have assembled on the offensive side of the ball. That's 11 guys I see listed and you can make a very strong case that each one of them are gonna deserve more touches than they will probably get. Talk about positional competition, this should be to the benefit of the whole squad.
^^^ We will add the swing pass, check downs, run some traditional TE sets (passes to the soft zones) and work on the deeper game with a double-triple-move post pattern!

Like your thinking and your technical knowledge is first rate. NCommand, what is your background regarding football? I''m always impressed by your pure football knowledge. Schemes, formations, strategy.... etc

In general about coaches regarding games and even seasons. Winning ones don't change enough and losing ones tend to change too much.

Also remember Harbaugh, Fangio, Roman and Kap even, are all learning the NFL level game. They don't know it all yet. None of them have reached their "NFL Prime" peak. We should see improvements from all of them.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Jun 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Niners816.

Speaking of double and triple moves patterns, all I want to see is Stevie Johnson running a "Dino" or "Shake" route(to use old school WCO verbiage) with his accumen for route running.
In the five games with crabs back, boldin had 33 catches for 455 yards and crabs had 19 rec for 284. On a per game ave, boldin went from averaging 5 rec for 65 yards pre crabs return to almost 7 rec per game for 90 ypg. His increase accounted for the most of the teams +40 ypg pass increase. Boldin also had more catches in the playoffs too, but in that case it was 16 to 15. My hunch says crabs will be number 1 but if they were able to split equal catches that would be best for the team.

Kaep doesn't seem to have a problem getting two guys involved, it getting that 3rd and 4th that is gonna be the key.

I don't criticize Kap much on here. There is an incredible amount of criticism here. Most I find unwarranted.

But:
  • Kap takes too long to warm up to certain receivers. First it seemed to be Crabtree with a little Vernon sprinkled in. Then it was Boldin (because Crabs was out?) & Crabtree and same sprinkling of Vernon. I hope to see better distribution this year. Also the more Kap focuses on Vernon and Crabtree the bigger receiving numbers they will receive and conversely will be harder to sign.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I don't criticize Kap much on here. There is an incredible amount of criticism here. Most I find unwarranted.

But:
  • Kap takes too long to warm up to certain receivers. First it seemed to be Crabtree with a little Vernon sprinkled in. Then it was Boldin (because Crabs was out?) & Crabtree and same sprinkling of Vernon. I hope to see better distribution this year. Also the more Kap focuses on Vernon and Crabtree the bigger receiving numbers they will receive and conversely will be harder to sign.

My thought has always been, his college offense has done him no favors in regards to a pro style attack. He ran that offense for four years and ran it quite successfully. Now i don't pretend to be a pistol offense expert, but the option run portion of that offense seemed to be its bread and butter and therefore it was the aspect the defense had to prepare for the most. As a result, I'm sure when they dialed up a pass play it usually resulted in a wide open target and that was kaeps look. I'm sure it tAkes a great deal of time to unlearn this approach. Fact are it's very hard to play pro qb even when you ran a pro style offense in college. I'm pleased and believe kaep is gonna get to the level he needs to. Only problem is it takes time. However, the numbers he has put learning are pretty amazing and when he does put it together it should be a site to behold.

Speaking of double and triple moves patterns, all I want to see is Stevie Johnson running a "Dino" or "Shake" route(to use old school WCO verbiage) with his accumen for route running.

Oh yeah, Stevie Big Johnson is going to Dick-shake Sherman out of his jock! I can't wait!!!!

We typically don't run many double, triple-move routes so adding Johnson's quick-burst off the LOS and in-route "shake" is going to be huge for us...his short-area quickness is electric and will create a ton of separation esp. in the RZ/EZ.

Just looking at the names in your post, I reiterate how astounded I am at the depth of talent we have assembled on the offensive side of the ball. That's 11 guys I see listed and you can make a very strong case that each one of them are gonna deserve more touches than they will probably get. Talk about positional competition, this should be to the benefit of the whole squad.

I just pray all the egos can remain in-check. It's a good problem to have but every year we end up with a (justifiable) pissed off player like Jacobs, James, etc.

Originally posted by OldJoe:

Like your thinking and your technical knowledge is first rate. NCommand, what is your background regarding football? I''m always impressed by your pure football knowledge. Schemes, formations, strategy.... etc

In general about coaches regarding games and even seasons. Winning ones don't change enough and losing ones tend to change too much.

Also remember Harbaugh, Fangio, Roman and Kap even, are all learning the NFL level game. They don't know it all yet. None of them have reached their "NFL Prime" peak. We should see improvements from all of them.

Thanks. I learn from the masters on NT, research, watching lot of Niner tape, look for patterns, designs, philosophy, etc.

I absolutely love your point about how Roman, and even Harbaugh are very new to the NFL game. They too have much room to grow...maybe just as much as the individual players themselves. I almost felt the original hiring of Mangini was two-fold...to push Roman and keep Harbaugh sharp. Iron sharpens iron.
I just pray all the egos can remain in-check. It's a good problem to have but every year we end up with a (justifiable) pissed off player like Jacobs, James, etc.

This is very true and I'm sure injury will play a part as well, but as I've said on several occasions I haven't felt this good about the offensive side of the ball since at least 1998.

This is very true and I'm sure injury will play a part as well, but as I've said on several occasions I haven't felt this good about the offensive side of the ball since at least 1998.

It's pretty insane, isn't it!? Baalke for President.

PS: Heard the CK interview and his confidence just seems at a much higher level right now. He's ready. When asked what he can work on, he instantly said his check-downs, footwork, quicker decisions, more precise, etc. That's terrific...talked a lot about the RZ and needing to improve there. He loves Stevie and Lloyd and they (Niner coaches/players) are taking lessons from them personally re: RZ success (re: route running, setting up DB's, etc.). Has a great feel for their body-language b/c both are so smooth and disciplined in their routes and easy to read.

He worked out with Boldin and Patton in Florida X2 a week. He loves having Crabree back at full strength...obviously.

Watched NFL Network and just now, all the video showed (small amount) CK taking snaps under center. How great is this to see!?

All in all, lots to be positive about.

PS: Heard the CK interview and his confidence just seems at a much higher level right now. He's ready. When asked what he can work on, he instantly said his check-downs, footwork, quicker decisions, more precise, etc. That's terrific...talked a lot about the RZ and needing to improve there. He loves Stevie and Lloyd and they (Niner coaches/players) are taking lessons from them personally re: RZ success (re: route running, setting up DB's, etc.). Has a great feel for their body-language b/c both are so smooth and disciplined in their routes and easy to read.

He worked out with Boldin and Patton in Florida X2 a week. He loves having Crabree back at full strength...obviously.

Watched NFL Network and just now, all the video showed (small amount) CK taking snaps under center. How great is this to see!?

That interview spoke volumes to me. As I said earlier, either colin has been subscribing to this thread or coach and roman have been stressing these issues. After all doesn't jim refer to OTA's as "football school". Looks like we got a glimpse into what the first part of the syllabus entailed. Once colin puts that polish on his game, the sky is the limit.

That interview spoke volumes to me. As I said earlier, either colin has been subscribing to this thread or coach and roman have been stressing these issues. After all doesn't jim refer to OTA's as "football school". Looks like we got a glimpse into what the first part of the syllabus entailed. Once colin puts that polish on his game, the sky is the limit.

I can see why! I believe in listening to the reporter from Santa Clara on NFLN, they had also noted his total command of the offense/playbook and how he is much more vocal and as a natural deduction, this means that he can now focus excusively on the aforementioned and like you said, polishing his game and even experiementing a bit. Perhaps this is the year we see the full compliment of not only WCO designs but concepts installed with CK taking many more snaps under center, footwork concentration (tied to routes), progression reading, utilization of the outlets/short game, short and deep-game accuracy, etc. It's speculation on my part but I also feel that the FO is putting additional pressure on Harbaugh and the offensive staff and system to expand this year. I really do...but not without first loading up the cupboards for them! I can't wait to watch...
Share 49ersWebzone