LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

OUR PASSING GAME---ANOTHER LOOK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's an excellent point. That said, we are seriously going to need a 4.2 burner (who can play off and through press) with excellent ability to adjust mid-air, high-point the ball, run double moves, run excellent post patterns, sideline routes, beat CB's with his first step, etc. B/c re: speed, I saw a PED'd up Sherman run man-for-man on VD on a sideline go-route; VD ran so hard he pulled his own hamstring in that game and Sherman was AHEAD of his route and nabbed it for an easy INT.

I totally agree! IF we had another burner, VD would not have been covered by Sherman, or at least the underneath patterns would have had looser coverage.

As for PED's, it's unfortunate that Seadderall has such a taint on their reputation. Cheat Carroll is nothing without his PEDded up players. I truly think there ain't no free lunch in this world. If an athlete takes PED's I think it puts stress on that athlete's body that wears his body out faster, but again, I'm no doctor. But I hope that those players who are breaking the rules on the Seadderall SeaHag team get what's comming to them the way PED's eventually caught up with Lyle Alzado and Shawn Merriman.

I'd take Thor or Superman who were naturally gifted over guys like Spiderman who had to get bitten by a spider or Flash who had to take a bath in chemicals to gain their superpowers!

Well, let's do the math. Sherman's 40 time was 4.53 twice (safe to say he's put on significant weight/muscle since then). And VD ran a 4.38 at 265 pounds at the combine. VD lost about 10 pounds last off season to play more WR d/t Crabtree's injury so you'd think he'd run FASTER than a 4.38 on a straight line, uncontested, sideline go route and at some point, blow right by Sherman. Nope. The opposite happens...Sherman, IIRC, was ahead of his route and VD ran so hard he pulled up lame. Obviously, there is an X-factor to all of this, eh?
Well, let's do the math. Sherman's 40 time was 4.53 twice (safe to say he's put on significant weight/muscle since then). And VD ran a 4.38 at 265 pounds at the combine. VD lost about 10 pounds last off season to play more WR d/t Crabtree's injury so you'd think he'd run FASTER than a 4.38 on a straight line, uncontested, sideline go route and at some point, blow right by Sherman. Nope. The opposite happens...Sherman, IIRC, was ahead of his route and VD ran so hard he pulled up lame. Obviously, there is an X-factor to all of this, eh?

You know I was thinking this same exact thing at one point. Then it hit me. Is it just me, or does it seem like VD just joined the team a few years ago? I suppose I spent 2007-2008 thinking he was still like a rookie, as if I was waiting for him to dominate. 2014 will be Davis' NINTH season. Amazing, which means PWilly is entering his 8th. That is just crazy. Is it possible that VD lost a little of that combine speed? How is that even possible? Didn't he just get drafted?!?!

Eh... it doesn't matter, I bet Vernon is still fast as a TE can get at 35.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:

You know I was thinking this same exact thing at one point. Then it hit me. Is it just me, or does it seem like VD just joined the team a few years ago? I suppose I spent 2007-2008 thinking he was still like a rookie, as if I was waiting for him to dominate. 2014 will be Davis' NINTH season. Amazing, which means PWilly is entering his 8th. That is just crazy. Is it possible that VD lost a little of that combine speed? How is that even possible? Didn't he just get drafted?!?!

Eh... it doesn't matter, I bet Vernon is still fast as a TE can get at 35.

It's plausible although he is only 30 and he did lose some 10 pounds to focus on his cardio as a WR so you'd think that would offset, if nothing else. But that is a trip to think about, huh!? Sherman does have 4 years on him...also, the play we referenced, wasn't it late in the 4Q? Perhaps that's when those PED's really pay off. LOL
It's plausible although he is only 30 and he did lose some 10 pounds to focus on his cardio as a WR so you'd think that would offset, if nothing else. But that is a trip to think about, huh!? Sherman does have 4 years on him...also, the play we referenced, wasn't it late in the 4Q? Perhaps that's when those PED's really pay off. LOL

HAHAHAHA! It was late in the 4th quarter! LOL.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
HAHAHAHA! It was late in the 4th quarter! LOL.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I don't know the answer, but IMO, is sure seems a waste. Using your QB for 60% of his capacity sure seems like a strange way to do things. Hey, maybe kap has trouble with the above. If so, why not have him practice it like he practices everything else? Answer: greg roman. And that, I think, is what is holding our O and team back at present. Bottom line: It just seems like an awful waste of superb talent.

I still think the answer might be that there is a plan going on to develop Kaepernick and they've tried to avoid giving him more than he can handle. That's why I think that if they add more targets and expand the passing game, you might see a lot more development with Kaepernick in all kinds of passes.
It's an excellent point. That said, we are seriously going to need a 4.2 burner (who can play off and through press) with excellent ability to adjust mid-air, high-point the ball, run double moves, run excellent post patterns, sideline routes, beat CB's with his first step, etc. B/c re: speed, I saw a PED'd up Sherman run man-for-man on VD on a sideline go-route; VD ran so hard he pulled his own hamstring in that game and Sherman was AHEAD of his route and nabbed it for an easy INT.

When I look at that play, it still looks to me like the pass is under-thrown a little and VD has to slow down which allows Sherman to trail and jump high for that interception.
Originally posted by crake49:

When I look at that play, it still looks to me like the pass is under-thrown a little and VD has to slow down which allows Sherman to trail and jump high for that interception.

I don't even have that recorded anymore. Did Sherman struggle staying with him (originally)?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I do believe the X-factor is there. I mean how hard is it to get a guy off the street to pee in your cup if you are know you are getting drug tested? Now add in the fact that you have a ton of money to spend, I don't think it's very hard to avoid getting caught by the NFL drug tests. Sherman got off on a technicality, but the fact he was caught in the first place says to me PED's are a big part of his game.

PED's can only enhance physical talent. That is a significant edge, but I don't think PED's increase intellect and smarts. (At least I don't think so. Maybe somebody with better knowledge can educate me.) In going against a PEDed up team, you have to out smart them rather than out physical them. Easier said than done, of course, but generally PEDed up teams usually are in a very highly emotional state and you should be able to use that emotional state against them. I know when I read Lyle Alzado's book - he was in a paranoid state of mind on sundays. I'm wondering there has got to be a way to take advantage of that against known PED-taking teams.
I don't even have that recorded anymore. Did Sherman struggle staying with him (originally)?

Yes. Sherman is lined up in press and doesn't even succeed in getting the initial jam. Davis makes a quick break to the outside and sprints upfield. Sherman has to reach out to slow him down.

Usually when the arm is fully extended like that, a call is made. Not here, and hardly ever in a Hawks game.

Originally posted by Giedi:

I do believe the X-factor is there. I mean how hard is it to get a guy off the street to pee in your cup if you are know you are getting drug tested? Now add in the fact that you have a ton of money to spend, I don't think it's very hard to avoid getting caught by the NFL drug tests. Sherman got off on a technicality, but the fact he was caught in the first place says to me PED's are a big part of his game.

PED's can only enhance physical talent. That is a significant edge, but I don't think PED's increase intellect and smarts. (At least I don't think so. Maybe somebody with better knowledge can educate me.) In going against a PEDed up team, you have to out smart them rather than out physical them. Easier said than done, of course, but generally PEDed up teams usually are in a very highly emotional state and you should be able to use that emotional state against them. I know when I read Lyle Alzado's book - he was in a paranoid state of mind on sundays. I'm wondering there has got to be a way to take advantage of that against known PED-taking teams.

PED's are in the same category as Steroids and the NFL is not allowed to disclose what they were specifically busted for...just the category. So agents "leak" that it was for PED's since that has less of a stigma. Ironically, MD's in here have taught us that PED's are also used in conjunction with steroid use to help flush out the system quicker for detection of steroids. The NFL knows...look how they strategically "test" and issue suspensions so as not to hurt the product on the field. But everyone knows by now, esp. the fans thanks to the Lance Armstrong debacle. Who roid-rages more than Sherman?
Crake, no way to know if this is a recognition thing(which kap has problems with), or inability to throw all the passes accurately(long, med, short), OR...Greg roman, which is where I put my money. Like has been said many times before, he is a running play caller...but unfortunately, I believe he calls the majority of passing plays too. For kap to get better, he needs a lot better OC than roman. He is the OC and my understanding is the plays go from him thru JH and to kap. And I think he is our problem, unfortunately, by his own admission, learning as he goes.

So kap either is having difficulty finding and throwing passes to the open receiver or roman is giving him crappy plays to run. It could be both, but somehow, I would like to see JH call his own plays, and NOT have them originate from roman. I bet anything kap almost immediately improves his game. JH is an offensive coach, with a sensational track record.
Would love to see Harbaugh call a few games and then Kaepernick call a couple on his own. After that there would be little doubt as to where the problem lies. Not wishing ill will on Roman, just want to see what this offense would look like in someone else's hands.
yup.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Crake, no way to know if this is a recognition thing(which kap has problems with), or inability to throw all the passes accurately(long, med, short), OR...Greg roman, which is where I put my money. Like has been said many times before, he is a running play caller...but unfortunately, I believe he calls the majority of passing plays too. For kap to get better, he needs a lot better OC than roman. He is the OC and my understanding is the plays go from him thru JH and to kap. And I think he is our problem, unfortunately, by his own admission, learning as he goes.

So kap either is having difficulty finding and throwing passes to the open receiver or roman is giving him crappy plays to run. It could be both, but somehow, I would like to see JH call his own plays, and NOT have them originate from roman. I bet anything kap almost immediately improves his game. JH is an offensive coach, with a sensational track record.

You're missing about 4 other coaches input during games as well. It's certainly a Fluster Cuck of a "syetem!"

And after discussing it with some fans in here, I see literally no benefit of taking the play clock down to 1 each time (actually works against us now) save for winning the TOP battle.
Share 49ersWebzone