There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OUR PASSING GAME---ANOTHER LOOK

• buck
  • Veteran
Last year, the 49ers had 2,979 passing yards---30th in the league.
Last year, the 49ers had 21 passing touchdowns---23rd in the league.
Last year, the 49ers had 148 first downs by passing---dead last in the league.

I would argue that to understand the above stats, we have to consider that:

Last year, the 49ers threw a total of 417 passes---dead last in the league.

Here are some stats with the number of attempts factored in.

Not all stats are directly affected by the number of passes thrown. Here are some that are not, at least in my estimation.

[ Edited by buck on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM ]
I know where this is headed......
So many stats are a function of system. And Completion % is much higher for shorter passes than for longer and mid range passes. The overwhelming majority of passes Peyton Manning threw, for example, were in the 5-10 yard range. I'm hoping Kaepernick throws more short passes next season and if he does, you can almost guarantee that his completion % will go up.
Originally posted by aTx49er:

Where do you think it's headed?
I don't think it'[s any great revelation that our passing game could use improvement, both from quarterback play as well as WR, and how about using our backs more, ala Bill Walsh? Hopefully either Patton steps up and/or we get the guy we need in the draft. Plus, Kap needs to improve field vision, [pocket presence and decision making, all things that should be improved with that full year under his belt.Oh, did I mention play-calling too? I look for bigger and better things from our passing game this coming season.
So when we do actually pass, we have pretty good success.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Those numbers will go up with better receiver options and such.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
So many stats are a function of system. And Completion % is much higher for shorter passes than for longer and mid range passes. The overwhelming majority of passes Peyton Manning threw, for example, were in the 5-10 yard range. I'm hoping Kaepernick throws more short passes next season and if he does, you can almost guarantee that his completion % will go up.

Completion % is also affected by the play of the wide receivers.

Last year, Crabtree, Manningham, Patton missed a combined total of 31 games.
Their absence surely had an impact on completion % and other passing stats as well.

I would like to see Kaepernick's completion % improve, but I do not care how that happens.

Kap vs Luck
Kap vs Peyton
Kap vs Brady
Kap vs Wilson
Kap vs Alex
and why not...
Kap vs Curtis Painter

Seriously though, thanks for posting that, buck. It just shows that efficiency numbers are there towards the top 10 of the league, while facing off against some very good defenses in 13-14.

The 1stdown % stat means little to me. It's about how many 1st downs you convert (% of conversion), no matter how you convert.

Attempts per TD also means very little to me. It's about how many TDs an offense scores, whether by run or pass. Gore is near the top in rushing TDs so that takes away from Kap needing to throw for TDs. What I find meaningful is passes per INT. That's a good measure of how well the QB is taking care of the ball when he throws it.
[ Edited by thl408 on Apr 2, 2014 at 12:38 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

Kap vs Luck
Kap vs Peyton
Kap vs Brady
Kap vs Wilson
Kap vs Alex
and why not...
Kap vs Curtis Painter

Seriously though, thanks for posting that, buck. It just shows that efficiency numbers are there towards the top 10 of the league, while facing off against some very good defenses in 13-14.

The 1stdown % stat means little to me. It's about how many 1st downs you convert (% of conversion), no matter how you convert.

Attempts per TD also means very little to me. It's about how many TDs an offense scores, whether by run or pass. Gore is near the top in rushing TDs so that takes away from Kap needing to throw for TDs. What I find meaningful is INTs per pass. That's a good measure of how well the QB is taking care of the ball when he throws it.

I hope it stays away from comparing QB
And shifts towards how Roman needs to be more creative OR we start using a 3 WR set alot more
OR
We start throwing screen plays with our back-up RB such as Hunter or James

Looking back at these stats I keep forgetting how good of a year Rivers had
[ Edited by Quest4six on Apr 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
So when we do actually pass, we have pretty good success.

It would appear so.

The passing game appears to be relatively effective. In in my estimation we should be throwing the ball more than we did last year.

If both Kaepernick and the receiving corps improve their game, the passing attack should be even more effective.

A more balanced attack should also benefit the running game.

I truly expect Harbaugh and Roman to adjust the overall balance of the offense.

But, then I am a notoriously optimistic homer.
We had only half the 1st downs of the Broncos?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

Attempts per TD also means very little to me. It's about how many TDs an offense scores, whether by run or pass. Gore is near the top in rushing TDs so that takes away from Kap needing to throw for TDs. What I find meaningful is passes per INT. That's a good measure of how well the QB is taking care of the ball when he throws it.

Your welcome.

I just tried to include as many of the stats as I could think of and still manage to have a readable post.

I hope that discussion focuses on the 49er passing game and does not become a QB vs. QB debate.

we played with two viable receiving threats the majority of the season, three when Crabtree finally came back ...chances are the passing game will improve with added weapons in the passing game, we don't just have to find a receiver that can "stretch the field" ...very rarely do we attack deep downfield, so naturally I'm hoping we grab a couple more solid weapons for Kap to throw at , having a selection of reliable targets will without a doubt improve our passing attack
Don't forget getting Miller back. He's our primary backfield receiver.