There are 272 users in the forums

49ers DEAD LAST in NFL in Receptions by Tail Backs (by a wide margin)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ivanm05:
That's all about to change w lattimore. Great hands..

You are correct about that. Marcus caught many passes out of the backfield at SC and very often times tore off a good chunk of yardage. I hope he's given that chance. Check out some of his videos.
Originally posted by YungAce:
Well, Alex Smith did leave..

Yup we traded Captain Checkdown... and I could not be happier.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by YungAce:
Well, Alex Smith did leave..

Yup we traded Captain Checkdown... and I could not be happier.

Its crazy when you think about it all...polar opposite QB's and both get their teams to the playoffs...Alex throws for 400 yards and barely lost and CK "was" our offense (running and throwing) and we barely lost. I'm a fan of both players.

But going forward, no doubt, CK has a long ways to go re: reading defenses, utilizing the 2nd and 3rd options and his check-downs and stop relying so much on throwing through DB's (his arm strength) and his legs. When he settles down and matures and everything slows down for him, he has the chance to be one of the absolute greats, no doubt. He's got all the intangibles (esp. work ethics) you want.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Harbaugh and Roman have been responsible for our use of backs in the passing game for three years.

Here is a table that shows that usage and some of the results.

[ Edited by buck on Apr 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM ]
I think our screen game is affected by our inability to block players in open space. I love iupatis strength blocking straight ahead but he wiffs in the open field way too often.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need to incorporate it in our game. It is a life saver when it comes to picking up first downs.
All i know is running LMJ on a screen from the Gun on Madden is 40 yds everytime! lol
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
That would require atouch pass......

I think we need our qb to spread the ball around a lot more to beat Seattle. Intermediate passes, play actions and screens keep them honest and on the field. While Kaeps 50 yard runs are sexy they don't wear down a D.

I would rather our D has three and outs and stays off the field than our O having three and outs and staying off the field... Dumpoffs to rbs move the chains. That 4 the and 2 was a great play and it seemed like frank was the first option on that play too

I will say this, that dump off would help keep us out of 3rd and long sometimes and if we threw it more and in the NFC championship game I'm not sure the LB is trailing the pass to Crabtree. I believe Montana threw it 2-3 times on the final drive to Craig in the 'Catch' game.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Apr 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is what really stood out to me the second half of the season. RB/TE's would stay in to block and then flare out and they were wide open. Obviously, I'd like to see a more balanced passing attack and using these guys in open space is a good start when the primary/secondary read isn't there. I'd also like to see some guys like Gore, Hunter and James feautured...one thing that stood out to me with the Saints is how they utilize Sproles. Sproles literally "sprints" out of the backfield and garners immediate attention by the defense and forces them to be on their heels; Brees hits him in stride. Our routes are different. I know Miller was featured but that was usually out wide on the edge. So design can not only help CK and his completion % but give him security AND help attack the entire field. Also, if the RB's sprint out of the backfield, it may also help in the passing game as well esp. if we hit a few of these quickly for big gains. From using the width of the field, all of our weapons coupled with our intermediate passing game, this may also help soften up the 8/9-man box and the running game AND get CK and he receivers in a nice early rhythm.

^^ This is exactly correct.
The defense stacks the LOS and is able to both stuff the run as well as pressure the QB on the pass. By occasionally calling a short pass just beyond the LOS would slow down the defensive pass rush so they couldn't just "pin their ears back". It also might draw in the safety a little and open up the deeper passes. I believe the main problem is with the play calling (Roman, not Kap).

The frustrating thing is this should be an easy thing to fix. They already have the hard part (the deeper passes and the power running), they just need to add a little finesse in the short passing game to give the offense better balance and keep the defense more off-balance and confused.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Maybe not just screens, but what about check downs to Gore? We don't even do that very much.

What comes first...the ability or the results? Kaepernick can run like no other QB so he can pick up first downs when P Manning would dump off to a RB. CK should learn to use the RBs more but that will come in time. Right now he can do it all and if they give him lanes...why not take the first down? But with Hunter and James on the team it seems they could utilize these guys more in short routes.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
This is what really stood out to me the second half of the season. RB/TE's would stay in to block and then flare out and they were wide open. Obviously, I'd like to see a more balanced passing attack and using these guys in open space is a good start when the primary/secondary read isn't there. I'd also like to see some guys like Gore, Hunter and James feautured...one thing that stood out to me with the Saints is how they utilize Sproles. Sproles literally "sprints" out of the backfield and garners immediate attention by the defense and forces them to be on their heels; Brees hits him in stride. Our routes are different. I know Miller was featured but that was usually out wide on the edge. So design can not only help CK and his completion % but give him security AND help attack the entire field. Also, if the RB's sprint out of the backfield, it may also help in the passing game as well esp. if we hit a few of these quickly for big gains. From using the width of the field, all of our weapons coupled with our intermediate passing game, this may also help soften up the 8/9-man box and the running game AND get CK and he receivers in a nice early rhythm.

^^ This is exactly correct.
The defense stacks the LOS and is able to both stuff the run as well as pressure the QB on the pass. By occasionally calling a short pass just beyond the LOS would slow down the defensive pass rush so they couldn't just "pin their ears back". It also might draw in the safety a little and open up the deeper passes. I believe the main problem is with the play calling (Roman, not Kap).

The frustrating thing is this should be an easy thing to fix. They already have the hard part (the deeper passes and the power running), they just need to add a little finesse in the short passing game to give the offense better balance and keep the defense more off-balance and confused.

Another minor adjustment would be to get the calls in much much quicker and give CK and the offense plenty of time to pre-snap read (the defense). Right now, by taking the clock down to 1 second, it's great for TOP but the defense may be at an advantage b/c they know when to fire off the LOS (pass rushing) and also have plenty of time to call their own audibles and adjust to our obvious formations (i.e. jumbo packages = run or play-action = passing).
Another minor adjustment would be to get the calls in much much quicker and give CK and the offense plenty of time to pre-snap read (the defense). Right now, by taking the clock down to 1 second, it's great for TOP but the defense may be at an advantage b/c they know when to fire off the LOS (pass rushing) and also have plenty of time to call their own audibles and adjust to our obvious formations (i.e. jumbo packages = run or play-action = passing).

Basically what I think it comes down to is developing some tendency breakers. The way the league operates, it doesn't require a total overhaul, just enough to get it on film. If teams start to see more involvement with flares and check downs all of sudden the LOS isn't as stacked as much. Also you make a good point about running the playclock down, IMO we need to run tempo alittle more often. We make it too easy on the defense sometimes.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
That would require a touch pass......

Lets hope that Kaep develops one this year, it will be the difference maker. A kid named Brett Favre, tossed a lot of ints, and had no touch, Atlanta traded him....
Originally posted by Niners816:

Basically what I think it comes down to is developing some tendency breakers. The way the league operates, it doesn't require a total overhaul, just enough to get it on film. If teams start to see more involvement with flares and check downs all of sudden the LOS isn't as stacked as much. Also you make a good point about running the playclock down, IMO we need to run tempo alittle more often. We make it too easy on the defense sometimes.

Agree with both of you! Sometimes a small adjustment can make a world of difference...whether by a QB or by the play caller. Seeing the field better would be my first class for CK to take. If you only rely on one receiver it will bite you in the Sherman!
Share 49ersWebzone