There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers DEAD LAST in NFL in Receptions by Tail Backs (by a wide margin)

How is it that Harbaugh is okay with Gore not getting more chances in the open field with short dump off passes but is okay with him repeatedly running into 9-in-the-box on first and second down?
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Apr 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM ]
It's on JH. If he wasn't totally on board w/Roman's offensive schemes he'd get someone new.

Also, they see our guys everyday. They may [I'm guessing] feel we don't have the talent either in the RB or the OLine to pull it off effectively.

Either way, we don't do it.

In the end, it's all about winning and we'll have to find something to add to our offense to beat the Seahawks.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
oh my god who gives a s**t

12-4 3rd straight nfcc appearance...

Well, obviously, more passes to the RB would have resulted in Superbowls wins.
Gore is not a good pass receiver. I'd like to see LMJ and Hunter used more in that area, not sure why we don't do that.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Gore is not a good pass receiver. I'd like to see LMJ and Hunter used more in that area, not sure why we don't do that.

He led our team in receptions like 3 years in a row. lol
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Furlow:

He led our team in receptions like 3 years in a row. lol

He was decent before, not sure what happened the past few years but he has hands of stone now.
There are two reasons for us being last:

1. We were near the bottom in passes attempted, so of course our running backs are going to be near the bottom in receptions. A better way to look at this would be the percentage of catches our backs had relative to total passes attempted, and then see how that compares to the league. Still, I bet we'd be pretty low.

2. One of Kap's major weaknesses in my opinion is his inability to hit checkdown options. There are so many times this year that he had a back sitting wide open near the sideline, but opted to force a throw downfield into double-triple coverage. Although these aren't designed passes to running backs per se, they would definitely boost the reception totals. I think this is an easy, addressible area for Kap. Hopefully in 2014 he utilizes these checkdowns more often. It would help his completion percentage, and probably keep some extra drives alive.
OH MY GOD WE'RE NOT LIKE THE NINERS FROM 20-30 YEARS AGO! lol

We're also not even an NFL offense today, we're a college offense
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Apr 1, 2014 at 1:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
OH MY GOD WE'RE NOT LIKE THE NINERS FROM 20-30 YEARS AGO! lol

We're also not even an NFL offense today, we're a college offense

Well the San Francisco 49ers are an nfl team, therefore whatever offense we run is an nfl offense. lol
The 49ers have not been utilizing the rb out of the backfield for years now, period. Its painfully obvious to anyone who watches on Sunday, especially the lack of screen passes. The fact the 49ers use heavy formations & often see loaded fronts is no excuse for scraping the play all together. I understand that when you have extra guys on the line of scrimmage the screen pass will be blown up, however there are in game situations in which the screen can be executed particularly 2nd/3rd & long out of multiple wr sets. Pretty simple.
  • thl408
Originally posted by DuctTape:
I think the statistic in the original post is misleading.

Bruce Miller had the 2nd MOST receptions by a Fullback last year with 25. (2nd to Tolbert with 27)

Where do the 49ers rank in RB receptions with that added in?

Also, Frank Gore had 1 fewer reception in 2013 with Kap than in 2011 with Alex (16 vs 17). Every year prior to that except his rookie season he had 40 plus receptions... it seems pretty clear the lower RB receptions the last 3 years is due to coaching/scheme and not Kap vs. Alex.

^^ Good point. OP needs to crunch these numbers and present them again. A FB is a RB, no?
We lead the league in this:

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
^^ Good point. OP needs to crunch these numbers and present them again. A FB is a RB, no?

Is my real post ever going to show?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Is my real post ever going to show?

no not ever again