LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

49ers DEAD LAST in NFL in Receptions by Tail Backs (by a wide margin)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
2014 offensive secret weopon game plan- pass to 1/2 back
Roman's offense
[ Edited by Raul98 on Apr 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM ]
Part of it is Kap. Not long after he took over, I posted that he's the antithesis of Alex Smith. Whereas Alex would just look to his right and then immediately check down (or throw it away) if the play isn't there, Kap will hold on to the ball looking for the deep strike.

He did make some strides last year, but he still has to learn to take advantage of what the defense gives him. I noticed that sometimes defenses don't even bother to cover the routes going out to the flats because odds are Kap won't see the receiver there (ex: Gore's crucial dropped pass against NO and a wide open Patton on the last drive in the NFCCG).

Not bagging on him, as I completely understand that he's still a very young QB and that sort of thing comes with experience.

Just my two.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
See the thread: Greg Roman, Is he really good?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
What the heck is going on with the posts?
Originally posted by kray28:
What the heck is going on with the posts?

gotta be calender related
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
When you have a guy who does one read, stares at Crabtree and never looks for a checkdown that is bound to happen.

Look at those awful mechanics Looks like he's throwing a baseball.
  • thl408
If you want to view your posts, log out.
I think the statistic in the original post is misleading.

Bruce Miller had the 2nd MOST receptions by a Fullback last year with 25. (2nd to Tolbert with 27)

Where do the 49ers rank in RB receptions with that added in?

Also, Frank Gore had 1 fewer reception in 2013 with Kap than in 2011 with Alex (16 vs 17). Every year prior to that except his rookie season he had 40 plus receptions... it seems pretty clear the lower RB receptions the last 3 years is due to coaching/scheme and not Kap vs. Alex.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
OH MY GOD WE'RE NOT LIKE THE NINERS FROM 20-30 YEARS AGO! lol

You're right, the great teams from 80's-90's had great balance with both great running and great passing. This 2013 team was:
- DEAD LAST (32nd) in NFL in receiving
- 30th in passing (barely edging out Jets and Tampa)
- 24th in total offense
- Most UN-balanced team in NFL (3rd in rushing and DEAD LAST receiving game)

Don't you think we should be better than 24th in offense with several pro-bowlers?
Don't you think we should be more balanced?

Remind me again about how well we were in Joe's second year at QB. My memory is fuzzy, but I think the new kid is way ahead of what was accomplished by Joe in his second year.

Going back to the Schemblacher, Harbaugh's entire coaching career to now, is utilizing the RB as a receiver commonplace?
Originally posted by Garcia2Owens:
It's funny becuase you guys would hate on Alex for checking down too much now you're hating on Kaepernick for not checking down enough. Lol

Originally posted by T-9ers:
It's no secret we have to figure out how to distribute the ball around better. We are getting almost no production from our 3rd, 4th, and 5th receivers along with being last in the league in receptions to runningbacks, I am not at all surprised to see this statistic. It's like any other sport, the good teams share the ball, having that threat on the field that we will throw the ball to anyone on the field at anytime will only make us better.

This is what it all boils down to, the the distribution of the football and how the ball is spread around. I can't count the number of times I've seen our backs wide open and Kaep in a position to complete a quick check down pass to one of them and he opts for the deeper pass or to run it himself. Many defenders don't even cover our running backs in the flats because they know the pass isn't going that way. Alex Smith was exactly the opposite. He got balls to the tight ends and backs, but couldn't get it to the receivers. Once again, a ball distribution problem.

Getting more passes to the backs would slow down the rush coming at Kaep because defenses would be forced to commit a defenders to Gore, Hunter, James, and now Lattimore coming out of the backfield. It also means one less defender with their eyes on our QB. Our offense seems predicated on using the routes and blocking of other players to open up things for other guys. Our players would be a lot more open and would be helped out by the other skill positions if all 5 other players were actually a threat to receive the ball, on every play.
LOL at the people who think the lack of RB receptions are on Kap because if you'd been paying attention its all HarRomans offense, not the QB. Lets take a look at Franks receiving numbers throught the years.

Yr / Receptions
2009: 52 rec
2010: 46 rec
2011: 17 rec
2012: 28 rec
2013: 16 rec

The numbers speak for themselves.

Edit: heres a link

http://www.nfl.com/player/frankgore/2506404/careerstats

**Also, the Zone is freaking out. My post looks like the one above mine lol.
[ Edited by KegBert on Apr 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM ]
Originally posted by DuctTape:

Bruce Miller had the 2nd MOST receptions by a Fullback last year with 25. (2nd to Tolbert with 27)

Also, Frank Gore had 1 fewer reception in 2013 with Kap than in 2011 with Alex (16 vs 17). Every year prior to that except his rookie season he had 40 plus receptions... it seems pretty clear the lower RB receptions the last 3 years is due to coaching/scheme and not Kap vs. Alex.

Bingo
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by DuctTape:

Bingo

lol its not about kap or alex, its about the offensive playcalling. You guys crack me up trying to make something out of nothing.
Share 49ersWebzone