LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

49ers DEAD LAST in NFL in Receptions by Tail Backs (by a wide margin)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lucky_49:
fullbacks are runningbacks. they're a specific kind of runningback. i think. maybe.

Maybe, but it might depend on the time frame.

A long time ago, like when my father played the game, the half back was the running back and the full back was the blocking back. My father was a blocking back, but like I said that a long time ago--eons ago.

Today, it seems that the half back is known as the running back and the full back is no longer called the blocking back. At least, I hardly ever hear the term blocking back used in the current discourse.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 13, 2014 at 11:02 PM ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullback_(American_football)
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
actually more check downs equals more first downs equals more targets for everybody :-)

Exactly correct

Not exactly. This statement below seems more precise, but it is still not an exactly correct proposition.

Actually, more completed check downs should equal more first downs and more first downs should mean more targets for everybody.
Fullbacks have been referred to as running backs for the last 45 years. I think the informal definition of a running back is a position in an offensive formation where the player can easily be handed the ball from the quarterback. Anyone in the backfield fits that description I believe.
Originally posted by buck:
Not exactly. This statement below seems more precise, but it is still not an exactly correct proposition.

Actually, more completed check downs should equal more first downs and more first downs should mean more targets for everybody.

Sure what are you getting at?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
No
Fullbacks are NOT Running Backs

compared our rbs catches to a fb/rb from the 80s yet bruce miller doesnt count

that because hes white?

yes a fb is part of the rb corps

this entire thread is invalrod
Originally posted by KegBert:
LOL at the people who think the lack of RB receptions are on Kap because if you'd been paying attention its all HarRomans offense, not the QB. Lets take a look at Franks receiving numbers throught the years.

Yr / Receptions
2009: 52 rec
2010: 46 rec
2011: 17 rec
2012: 28 rec
2013: 16 rec

The numbers speak for themselves.

Edit: heres a link

http://www.nfl.com/player/frankgore/2506404/careerstats

**Also, the Zone is freaking out. My post looks like the one above mine lol.

Exactly. Just a way for some people to bash the QB. We run a very basic offense that does not utilize all players on the field. The issue is more with the coaching staff than it is with the QB.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
lol wat

The offense is a form of the west coast Walsh created

THE FB IS A RUNNING BACK

example

west coast base formation
2WR 2RB TE
all five of these guys have a pattern
depending on the type of play call says who gets first look

Red Left Tight 50 'Y' Spot
Flanker Z
Split end X
Tight end Y
RB1 left/right RB
RB2 right/right FB

• thl408
Fullbacks are running backs. I know the OP doesn't want to admit it because it doesn't support this thread. Perhaps change the thread title to: 49ers DEAD LAST in NFL in Receptions by Tail Backs (by a wide margin)

Or Halfbacks. That would work too.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Here's the problem

WE GOT A FB COACHING RB'S

Nah, I don't buy that. Tom R. caught a lot of nice balls out of the backfield. It is Tom's job to teach RBs how to run block, pass block, run properly, protect the ball, run routes correctly and catch passes out of the backfield. It is romans, but really JH's job to call plays. Tom doesn't do that...unfortunately, because ABR(anybody but roman) would be better calling plays than Herr dumpernickel, er, roman. I think he just sucks and has no frigging idea what other things a RB should be doing. As far as roman knows, RBs just carry the ball or block. He seems to know nothing about using a RB as an incredibly useful tool in the passing game. Then again, if he as OC is calling the plays and running them thru JH en route to kap, he obviously knows nothing about pass calls either.

So you are correct. We got a FB coaching RBs. But we got a clod calling the OC. And that IS the problem.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Nah, I don't buy that. Tom R. caught a lot of nice balls out of the backfield. It is Tom's job to teach RBs how to run block, pass block, run properly, protect the ball, run routes correctly and catch passes out of the backfield. It is romans, but really JH's job to call plays. Tom doesn't do that...unfortunately, because ABR(anybody but roman) would be better calling plays than Herr dumpernickel, er, roman. I think he just sucks and has no frigging idea what other things a RB should be doing. As far as roman knows, RBs just carry the ball or block. He seems to know nothing about using a RB as an incredibly useful tool in the passing game. Then again, if he as OC is calling the plays and running them thru JH en route to kap, he obviously knows nothing about pass calls either.

So you are correct. We got a FB coaching RBs. But we got a clod calling the OC. And that IS the problem.

was being sarcastic

lol
Of course you were. Sheesh. Everyone is so uptight.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Notice TITLE of thread is Running Backs! Is Miller a RB? No, Miller isn't a RB, that's why I didn't include him in my post about RB's. . . . . comprende?

Plus you are ignoring facts and evading the point of the thread.

Newsflash!!!! We don't throw very many short passes, period.

I'm not complaining, I'm pointing out facts.

Last year, about 63% of passes thrown by Kaepernick went for 10 yards or less.

Your claim that we don't throw very many short passes, period sure seems erroneous.

In another post you claimed, and this a paraphrase, that Kaepernick hardly ever throws short passes.

Those claims are not supported by the passing numbers.

I think that we should involve the half backs more in the running game, but your claims go beyond that.

You should be willing to acknowledge that majority of the passes thrown by Kaepernick are short passes.

Or you need to share your definition of a short pass with us.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Fullbacks are running backs. I know the OP doesn't want to admit it because it doesn't support this thread. Perhaps change the thread title to: 49ers DEAD LAST in NFL in Receptions by Tail Backs (by a wide margin)

Or Halfbacks. That would work too.

Agree. On the Fullback / Halfback definitions. It also depends on the system run. One back sets - do you call the lone back a RB or a FB? On three back diamond sets, who's the FB and who's the RB? I like your definition better. Now, assuming we use your definition, and the *tailback* is dead last in receptions, there has to be a reason why that is. One reason I can think of is choice and scheme. Choice being in Kaepernick's hands and scheme being that by design the 49ers don't throw it to the tailback that often. Is this a bad thing? I dunno, I personally don't think so considering we've been to the NFC CG three straight years using this scheme. As for Kaepernick, as he develops, I think you will see that the passes to the tailbacks will increase. Either way, it should improve this year, but even if it doesn't, I'm not too worried about it.
Share 49ersWebzone