There are 181 users in the forums

49ers DEAD LAST in NFL in Receptions by Tail Backs (by a wide margin)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
49ers had a TOTAL of 23 passes completed to the tail backs the entire year (2013)! Dead LAST in the entire NFL!!!! Gore had 16 catches, Hunter had 2 and LMJ had 2 all year! WTF? Roger Craig averaged ~80 catches for 5 years in a row. Several RB's had over 70 catches in 2013. Not throwing to the RB's is bizarre since it's one of the easiest completions, gives the QB and RB's confidence, keeps the defense honest, was the mainstay of Walsh's offense (which supposedly Harbaugh studied intensely), yet the 49ers were DEAD LAST in the NFL in pass completions to RB's!!!! That is insane, because these passes are easy, safe, keep the chains moving, pulls in the safety and opens up deeper passes. Also a little flare to Hunter or LMJ has a very high completion rate and the potential for a big play, yet they only had 2 catches all year!

Is the problem Harbaugh, Roman, or Kap?
[ Edited by maxsmart on May 25, 2014 at 1:37 AM ]
I remember when we use to pass to the running back all the time.... We fckin sucked.
Originally posted by 9ers:
I remember when we use to pass to the running back all the time.... We fckin sucked.

Like when we passed all day long to Roger Craig, Wendall Tyler, Paul Hofer, Ricky Waters and won 5 superbowls? Sucked like that?

Do you think it's good to be last in the NFL in passes to RB's?
Well, Alex Smith did leave..
Originally posted by YungAce:
Well, Alex Smith did leave..

Yes and Andy Reid turned Alex Smith into a pro bowl QB, partly by completing 70 passes for 700 yards to his RB Jamaal Charles
OH MY GOD WE'RE NOT LIKE THE NINERS FROM 20-30 YEARS AGO! lol
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by 9ers:

Like when we passed all day long to Roger Craig, Wendall Tyler, Paul Hofer, Ricky Waters and won 5 superbowls? Sucked like that?

Do you think it's good to be last in the NFL in passes to RB's?

Hate to break it to you but we don't run the West Coast Offense anymore. Having more RB receptions does not inherently equal a good offense, and vice versa.

Also Kaep being able to run has a lot to do with it. Most RB receptions are check downs when #1 and #2 options don't get open. Instead of checking down when options aren't open, Kaep tucks and runs. Its just the type of offense and qb.

Now if you want to have a discussion regarding the lack of screen plays, then we have something to talk about.
[ Edited by 9ers on Apr 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM ]
That 17 yard completion to Gore on 4th & 2 was clutch
some screens would not hurt.. works great in madden ;)
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Run more screens.

That would require a touch pass......
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
OH MY GOD WE'RE NOT LIKE THE NINERS FROM 20-30 YEARS AGO! lol

You're right, the great teams from 80's-90's had great balance with both great running and great passing. This 2013 team was:
- DEAD LAST (32nd) in NFL in receiving
- 30th in passing (barely edging out Jets and Tampa)
- 24th in total offense
- Most UN-balanced team in NFL (3rd in rushing and DEAD LAST receiving game)

Don't you think we should be better than 24th in offense with several pro-bowlers?
Don't you think we should be more balanced?
Originally posted by matthewabbit:

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matthewabbit:

Well, practice it.
Share 49ersWebzone