LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Finally, analysis from the Seahawks NFCCG coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Appreciate the break down, as always Jonnydel.

Hopefully Kap can correct his mistakes from this season, and use the offseason to improve. With a healthy set of WRs from the start, I'm curious what our offense will look like.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Shoulda checked down to the wide open Kendall Hunter right in front of him on the same side of the field.

Absolutely. Even with the delayed flare-out, this is a pass in the sight-line of the QB and a very simple touch pass that would lead Hunter in the direction he wanted him to go (towards the sidelines for a big gain and get out of bounds). Hopefully, learning to "see" the check down will be the next step in his QB development and I pray the coaches work with him on this and his foot-work and touch on the ball...leading receivers to open space. If successful, I hope HaRoman start to design RB mismatches more as primary targets out of the backfield to isolate them on LBers; I think this can be a big mismatch in our favor esp. if these routes include sprinting out of the backfield. Either way, the (stay in to) block-then-delayed flare outs have been wide open all year long (since we included them for the second half of the season).

49ers had a TOTAL of 22 passes completed to the running backs all year! Dead LAST in the league! Gore had 16 catches all year. Hunter and LMJ had 2 each all year! WTF? Roger Craig averaged ~80 catches for several years. Several RB's had over 70 catches in 2013. Not throwing to the RB's is bizarre since it's one of the easiest completions, keeps the defense honest, was the mainstay of Walsh's offense which supposedly Harbaugh studied intensely, yet the 49ers were LAST in the NFL in pass completions to RB's!!!! That is insane, because these passes are easy, safe, keep the defense honest. Hunter broke wide open and would have taken it down to the 5 or better, but Kap never looked. Is the problem Harbaugh, Roman, or Kap?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
49ers had a TOTAL of 22 passes completed to the running backs all year! Dead LAST in the league! Gore had 16 catches all year. Hunter and LMJ had 2 each all year! WTF? Roger Craig averaged ~80 catches for several years. Several RB's had over 70 catches in 2013. Not throwing to the RB's is bizarre since it's one of the easiest completions, keeps the defense honest, was the mainstay of Walsh's offense which supposedly Harbaugh studied intensely, yet the 49ers were LAST in the NFL in pass completions to RB's!!!! That is insane, because these passes are easy, safe, keep the defense honest. Hunter broke wide open and would have taken it down to the 5 or better, but Kap never looked. Is the problem Harbaugh, Roman, or Kap?

"Is the problem Harbaugh, Roman, or Kap?"

Blame it on Hostess Twinkies... when Hostess made their comeback Roman went back to his (even more sucky ways), his diet got all whacked, again
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I think looking back over this game gave me a bit of closure, but also, left me with just as much frustration because I know we were the better team that day.

First, the loss of Iupati was huge in the game. After he went down, Snyder struggled in both the run and the pass.

If we want to have a much better chance next year we can't play in Seattle. Anthony Davis played maybe his second worst game I've seen from him(his other one was earlier in the year in Seattle as well). Having to look back at the ball for the snap consistently made him a step slow on any pass rush and he couldn't stop the speed rush all night. He lost to his man on pass pro over half the time - not good numbers. Furthermore ,the O-line as a whole played really really poorly - across the board. Boone probably had the best game.

Also, the league has got to do something about the illegal contact downfield - especially from Byron Maxwell. He grabbed more than Bob Barker at a models convention......

I know the last play has been touched on, but that one made me sick and here's why:

First, Seattle shows a 2 deep shell. When they do this they're either playing cover 2 man or cover 4. If they're in cover 4, I'm not sure why Kaep would immediately take a shot at this point knowing his route combo on the other side of the field. I think he thought it was cover 2 man with Thomas the safety playing a shallow set making it look like Sherman would be playing an underneath trail technique expecting safety help over the top. IF they had played that defense it would be a good shot because Thomas' short set probably makes it too difficult to give help over the top on a "go" route.

However, Seattle didn't play a cover 2 man, they played a cover 4 zone. This means Sherman's not looking to press and play with a trail technique, he plays with an over the top technique to keep his deep quarter zone. When Kaep saw this he should've checked over to the other side of the field. Maxwell has deep quarter coverage along with Chancellor so Boldin's deep seem route pulls both of them back along with Davis curl it clears the outside curl zone defender leaving Patton wide open on the sideline.

You see how wide open Patton is at the top of the screen to easily gain 7 yards or so and get out of bounds with 30 seconds left in the game.

Even though, in my opinion, Kaep makes the wrong throw, you see how close the ball was to being complete. If he puts that ball just above Crabs head there's no way Sherman touches it.

As usual, more breakdowns and pics to follow, probably not for a couple hours though.

Don't agree. Right decision, a tough one, but with a better ball that's a TD.

yeah there shouldnt be discussion about the decision, the opportunity was there and the ball was a little underthrown..sure you can take an easy 7 yards to patton, its not as if the shot to Crabtree was the only throw to make..but it was there, this should not be a debate...if you wanna debate whether throwing to Sherman's side at all was a smart decision, theres a little more room for argument. But Sherm wasn't blanketing Crab and I believe if Anthony Davis didn't allow his man to f**k up Kaep's throw, we would be on quest for 7.

if you wanna talk bad decisions with respect to this play, i'd say the bad decision was not rolling protection to the right or using a RB to help block. anthony davis needs to step his game up, i'm ambivalent about us resigning him. kinda sucks in protection but great in run game, ughh wtf
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Apr 1, 2014 at 12:12 AM ]
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
yeah there shouldnt be discussion about the decision, the opportunity was there and the ball was a little underthrown..sure you can take an easy 7 yards to patton, its not as if the shot to Crabtree was the only throw to make..but it was there, this should not be a debate...if you wanna debate whether throwing to Sherman's side at all was a smart decision, theres a little more room for argument. But Sherm wasn't blanketing Crab . . .

Sherman had blanket coverage on Crabtree. It required a perfect throw, & it was a good throw, but was ~1 foot short. But because Crab was blanketed this almost perfect throw was picked off.
yeah there shouldnt be discussion about the decision, the opportunity was there and the ball was a little underthrown..sure you can take an easy 7 yards to patton, its not as if the shot to Crabtree was the only throw to make..but it was there, this should not be a debate...if you wanna debate whether throwing to Sherman's side at all was a smart decision, theres a little more room for argument. But Sherm wasn't blanketing Crab . . .

Sherman had blanket coverage on Crabtree. It required a perfect throw, & it was a good throw, but was ~1 foot short. But because Crab was blanketed this almost perfect throw was picked off.

I take blanketing/blanket coverage to mean that it would be highly improbable to complete a certain pass due to the positioning of the corner and the receiver's abilities to fight for the ball in spite of the defenders present..so say for example you have Vincent Jackson one on one for a jump ball, it's hard to say he's ever blanketed regardless of how tight the CB is on him, he can outjump.. Crabs not VJax and ddidnt need to be, him and Sherm were not in equal position to make the catch , which is why he coudn't even make a play on the ball since it was behind him , 1 critical foot short.

They call it a game of inches for a reason, and it comes down to the smallest details on the play. Watch the throw over and over, you'll see that the slight pressure from the right side (anthony davis's man) was just enough to f**k with Kaep's release, and clearly prevented the ball from sailing a bit higher toward the back pylon like he is coached to do.

This did not require a perfect throw, because Crab is outstanding at going for the ball and making tough catches over his head. It simply required a throw toward the back pilon, which I'd say is a fairly large throwing window. I was down on Kaep at first since i put it on him, but after seeing the replay I have transferred the blame (for whatever its worth, doesnt really mean s**t whose fault it was, you can end up talking about greg roman's upbringing as a kid if we go that far down that causal chain) to Anthony davis.

the play failed without Crab being given a chance to use his athleticism and catching radius, he could not go up for the ball. Only sherman could, because sherman was behind him, if only by a foot at most. inches inches inches, football is a great sport

so while I don't blame Kaep, i will say this: one could argue that he should have been aware of his protection and either compensated for the mechanical flaw caused from the pass rush and put more power in the throw, or he should have decided against the pass not because of what he was seeing downfield but because of what he was feeling around him, namely, a dirty pocket to throw from. maybe he could have opted against the pass out of awareness that he was destined to make a poor throw, his ability to make a clean, deep throw was compromised and he should have known it soon enough to make a different decision. He made a risky decision therefore in a situation that perhaps called for a more cautious/methodological approach.

its the timeout we had left that bugs me, two years in a row, real frustrating
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Apr 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM ]
How did this thread get monopolized by this one play?

There was another 59 minutes and 53 seconds of football played that day. Can we talk about some of that?

We have opined about this play enough. We all understand what everybody thinks about it, over and over again.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
the reason we love Kap is because he takes the chances Alex Smith never would. Those chances are not always gonna pay off.

fin
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
the reason we love Kap is because he takes the chances Alex Smith never would. Those chances are not always gonna pay off.

fin

Yup. The 49ers were ranked 1st in YATC (Yards-At-The-Catch). This is because of Kap's ability to throw downfield. Downside to this is the lower completion %.
Johnnyd, how did the seahawks stuff frank so well? Do hou think it was just mediocre execution on our part or were they reading us to well?

Johnnyd, how did the seahawks stuff frank so well? Do hou think it was just mediocre execution on our part or were they reading us to well?
Johnnyd what fid yje seahawks do to stuff frank so well? Was it just mediocre execution on our part or were they reading us too well?
[ Edited by joshuatree on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM ]
Kaep #1

I take blanketing/blanket coverage to mean that it would be highly improbable to complete a certain pass due to the positioning of the corner and the receiver's abilities to fight for the ball in spite of the defenders present..so say for example you have Vincent Jackson one on one for a jump ball, it's hard to say he's ever blanketed regardless of how tight the CB is on him, he can outjump.. Crabs not VJax and ddidnt need to be, him and Sherm were not in equal position to make the catch , which is why he coudn't even make a play on the ball since it was behind him , 1 critical foot short.

They call it a game of inches for a reason, and it comes down to the smallest details on the play. Watch the throw over and over, you'll see that the slight pressure from the right side (anthony davis's man) was just enough to f**k with Kaep's release, and clearly prevented the ball from sailing a bit higher toward the back pylon like he is coached to do.

This did not require a perfect throw, because Crab is outstanding at going for the ball and making tough catches over his head. It simply required a throw toward the back pilon, which I'd say is a fairly large throwing window. I was down on Kaep at first since i put it on him, but after seeing the replay I have transferred the blame (for whatever its worth, doesnt really mean s**t whose fault it was, you can end up talking about greg roman's upbringing as a kid if we go that far down that causal chain) to Anthony davis.

the play failed without Crab being given a chance to use his athleticism and catching radius, he could not go up for the ball. Only sherman could, because sherman was behind him, if only by a foot at most. inches inches inches, football is a great sport

so while I don't blame Kaep, i will say this: one could argue that he should have been aware of his protection and either compensated for the mechanical flaw caused from the pass rush and put more power in the throw, or he should have decided against the pass not because of what he was seeing downfield but because of what he was feeling around him, namely, a dirty pocket to throw from. maybe he could have opted against the pass out of awareness that he was destined to make a poor throw, his ability to make a clean, deep throw was compromised and he should have known it soon enough to make a different decision. He made a risky decision therefore in a situation that perhaps called for a more cautious/methodological approach.

its the timeout we had left that bugs me, two years in a row, real frustrating

I agree. Blanket coverage would be a jump ball. This ball was underthrown and with pressure in his face. Here's the thing, the TD pass to Kearse earlier in the game was also a VERY risky decision by Russell Wilson. This is what it takes to win games.

I'm not sure we wanted to be more crowded in the redzone by inching further up. THAT play was the play we wanted but it was not thrown where it was needed.
Share 49ersWebzone