There are 229 users in the forums

Finally, analysis from the Seahawks NFCCG coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OldMort49:
Has anyone considered that Seattle just played excellent defense on that play? No matter how you look at it there's not much there except a short gain at best.

I'll just add that they were the number 1 pass defense last year and the number 1 home field stadium with the biggest win differential. Those are facts, not opinions.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Has anyone considered that Seattle just played excellent defense on that play? No matter how you look at it there's not much there except a short gain at best.

I'll just add that they were the number 1 pass defense last year and the number 1 home field stadium with the biggest win differential. Those are facts, not opinions.

Also they were the first defense since the '85 Bears to be 1st in points allowed, yards allowed, and turnovers forced.

Also have arguably the greatest home field advantage in league history.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 31, 2014 at 4:23 PM ]
so....back to the run game, is the poor blocking a personnel ability issue or are the blockers being set up to fail with predictable calls? any thoughts?
dialing up a VD play would have got it done.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Kap made the same mistake he had been making all season only this time he didn't make up for his lack of field vision by making a big play with his legs.

Kap struggles to read defenses and those that criticize him as a one read qb are correct this far in his career.

In our win over the Packers in the wild card rd there were several key points in the game where Kap didn't see open receivers and took off running. It worked so his lack of field vision didn't result in a loss.

Go back to our Superbowl loss against the Ravens. Kap staring down Crabtree and throwing ill timed passes sealed our fate as losers of that game. It was the same thing against the Hawks. He wasn't going to read the defense and throw to the open man. He decided presnap to get the ball to Crabtree.

All the offseason talk surrounding Kap's preparation for next season seems to center on his efforts to get bigger,stronger. Hopefully that's just bs and he's spending twice as much time in the film room as the weight room.

This is spot on. Agree 100%
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Also they were the first defense since the '85 Bears to be 1st in points allowed, yards allowed, and turnovers forced.

All of this!!! Plus Kaep lead us down to a chance for a game winning throw. Now the throw was 2 inches to low and failed. Montana in 81 had a terrible game and if his throw had been two inches higher and forums existed what would have been said about him. Now he would have had another shot but throwing back across the grain with 3 defenders in your face. Sorry but that could have just as easily been an INT.

Keap will learn and continue to grow. Loved the breakdown and must admit there were better options but man NFC championship game, loud crowd, you feel your best WR has an advantage I can't blame him. I would have taken a knee and said get me the hell out of here.
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

All of this!!! Plus Kaep lead us down to a chance for a game winning throw. Now the throw was 2 inches to low and failed. Montana in 81 had a terrible game and if his throw had been two inches higher and forums existed what would have been said about him. Now he would have had another shot but throwing back across the grain with 3 defenders in your face. Sorry but that could have just as easily been an INT.

Keap will learn and continue to grow. Loved the breakdown and must admit there were better options but man NFC championship game, loud crowd, you feel your best WR has an advantage I can't blame him. I would have taken a knee and said get me the hell out of here.

Yup. He was trying to make a play. Which is why he had three turnovers there at the end. Nobody else besides the defense and himself were getting anything done.

He could of played it safe by throwing it away, dumping it off or throwing safe passes and played "Hot Puntato" with the kickers until someone else made a costly mistake trying to make a play. Then we'd all be blaming that guy for f**king up. But we see how playing conservative that way bit us in the ass in the past.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 31, 2014 at 5:46 PM ]
Kap made the same mistake he had been making all season only this time he didn't make up for his lack of field vision by making a big play with his legs.

Kap struggles to read defenses and those that criticize him as a one read qb are correct this far in his career.

In our win over the Packers in the wild card rd there were several key points in the game where Kap didn't see open receivers and took off running. It worked so his lack of field vision didn't result in a loss.

Go back to our Superbowl loss against the Ravens. Kap staring down Crabtree and throwing ill timed passes sealed our fate as losers of that game. It was the same thing against the Hawks. He wasn't going to read the defense and throw to the open man. He decided presnap to get the ball to Crabtree.

All the offseason talk surrounding Kap's preparation for next season seems to center on his efforts to get bigger,stronger. Hopefully that's just bs and he's spending twice as much time in the film room as the weight room.

Correct.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I disagree. The run game (outside of Kaepernick's runs) totaled 31 yards on 17 attempts. That's pathetic. Now they were playing against a great defense, I understand that. But if our run game had a better performance, Kaep would have made that pass work because the Seadderall linebackers would be paying attention to the run and not the pass. Iupat's injury when combined with Miiler's injury and you see the result - mainly our run blocking went into the tank. Miller's injury also took away a trusted check down receiver for Kaepernick, and Iupatii's injury put in a player that usually isn't as stout in the run game and was weak in pass protection.

So while Kaepernick did throw that interception and fumbled the ball - a big part the 49ers passing game needs a viable run game to play pass out of, meaning that a part of the blame of the sorry performance of the passing game should also lie on the guys replacing the injured starters and not all on Kaepernick.
After looking at those pics, I don't blame Kaep at all for making that throw. It was just a little off and Sherman made a great play. f**k the Seahawks

Wrong. He had a sure thing to Hunter who was uncovered flaring out to the right, would have gained >10 yards
Originally posted by YungAce:
After looking at those pics, I don't blame Kaep at all for making that throw. It was just a little off and Sherman made a great play. f**k the Seahawks

except for Crabtree was blanket covered
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I think looking back over this game gave me a bit of closure, but also, left me with just as much frustration because I know we were the better team that day.

First, the loss of Iupati was huge in the game. After he went down, Snyder struggled in both the run and the pass.

If we want to have a much better chance next year we can't play in Seattle. Anthony Davis played maybe his second worst game I've seen from him(his other one was earlier in the year in Seattle as well). Having to look back at the ball for the snap consistently made him a step slow on any pass rush and he couldn't stop the speed rush all night. He lost to his man on pass pro over half the time - not good numbers. Furthermore ,the O-line as a whole played really really poorly - across the board. Boone probably had the best game.

Also, the league has got to do something about the illegal contact downfield - especially from Byron Maxwell. He grabbed more than Bob Barker at a models convention......

I know the last play has been touched on, but that one made me sick and here's why:

First, Seattle shows a 2 deep shell. When they do this they're either playing cover 2 man or cover 4. If they're in cover 4, I'm not sure why Kaep would immediately take a shot at this point knowing his route combo on the other side of the field. I think he thought it was cover 2 man with Thomas the safety playing a shallow set making it look like Sherman would be playing an underneath trail technique expecting safety help over the top. IF they had played that defense it would be a good shot because Thomas' short set probably makes it too difficult to give help over the top on a "go" route.

However, Seattle didn't play a cover 2 man, they played a cover 4 zone. This means Sherman's not looking to press and play with a trail technique, he plays with an over the top technique to keep his deep quarter zone. When Kaep saw this he should've checked over to the other side of the field. Maxwell has deep quarter coverage along with Chancellor so Boldin's deep seem route pulls both of them back along with Davis curl it clears the outside curl zone defender leaving Patton wide open on the sideline.

You see how wide open Patton is at the top of the screen to easily gain 7 yards or so and get out of bounds with 30 seconds left in the game.

Even though, in my opinion, Kaep makes the wrong throw, you see how close the ball was to being complete. If he puts that ball just above Crabs head there's no way Sherman touches it.

As usual, more breakdowns and pics to follow, probably not for a couple hours though.

Don't agree. Right decision, a tough one, but with a better ball that's a TD.
Originally posted by NCommand:
that LB that was spying CK the entire time (could care less about Hunter), he would have been able to run or hit Hunter in stride

Exactly, if you can look at the frame 1/10th of a sec after this frame Hunter is WIDE OPEN and uncovered in the right flat. It was a 100% sure completion and Hunter would have gained at least 10 yards likely more.
This was an interesting game but I wonder what happens if Aldon doesn't jump offsides. Kearse said once we saw him jump offsides, we switched our route to run a go and just gun for a big play. Not only that, but allowing a big KR to Baldwin after going up 17-10 was a killer.
Share 49ersWebzone