LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Finally, analysis from the Seahawks NFCCG coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by Raul98:
He has 2 amazing red zone guys in Boldin and Davis is it Roman who's telling him to go only to Crabtree with pre snap assigned plays or is it he just trusts / feels comfortable with Crabtree what's going on? hes done this 2 years in a row now with the game on the line he goes only to Crabtree even with other open receivers on the play. Is he just not looking at them or is Roman telling him who to go to?

Yeah, I would have lined up Boldin there instead of Crabs. Boldin makes a living fighting for 50/50 balls.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Raul98:
He has 2 amazing red zone guys in Boldin and Davis is it Roman who's telling him to go only to Crabtree with pre snap assigned plays or is it he just trusts / feels comfortable with Crabtree what's going on? hes done this 2 years in a row now with the game on the line he goes only to Crabtree even with other open receivers on the play. Is he just not looking at them or is Roman telling him who to go to?

Yeah, I would have lined up Boldin there instead of Crabs. Boldin makes a living fighting for 50/50 balls.
Exactly Boldin is great at those type of catches especially in the red zone Davis is also amazing in the red zone but what i don't understand is why he never looked there way on that play was he told before the snap to go to Crabtree all the way or does he only feel comfortable throwing to Crabtree?
Originally posted by jonnydel:
This was a no-huddle play though, Kap called this play so we can't put any blame on Harbaugh or Roman for "untimely play calling", they were spectators just like us at that moment.

Not sure what you mean here...that the coaches had called in 2 or 3 plays at once and this one was next in line? CK and even Harbaugh himself made note that Crabtree was the primary target here and given the design, it was all-or-nothing (we wish it was "nothing"). LOL. Either way, it was a poor design, poor situational awareness and a TO probably s/h been called in this scenario IMHO.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Still wish the ball had gone to Patton, he likely wouldn't have scored but would have racked up some more yards, getting closer to the endzone, running some more time off the clock, giving the 49ers a final couple shots for a touchdown.

I like the idea of Patton as well but Avril was right there...if he turns to locate Patton, it's probably too late...sack/strip/fumble. Now, if Patton was on Crabtree's side, awesome!
Hah! This is what happens when you open the thread with that play. F.T.P.

f**k
That
Play

This made me laugh so hard!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Still wish the ball had gone to Patton, he likely wouldn't have scored but would have racked up some more yards, getting closer to the endzone, running some more time off the clock, giving the 49ers a final couple shots for a touchdown.

I like the idea of Patton as well but Avril was right there...if he turns to locate Patton, it's probably too late...sack/strip/fumble. Now, if Patton was on Crabtree's side, awesome!
They other thing is that Patton is on the opposite side of the field. He's probably the 3rd, 4th read on the play. Let's say the pocket held up and Kap had time to survey his options and somehow didn't decide to take off and run. By that time, Patton is not going to be wide open. The LB/CB downfield would've started to converge on Patton. Kap often tips off his throws by staring his targets down.

A lot of people exclaimed about Patton being wide open right after the game... but the fact is, he's only wide open from a coach's film point-of-view. A quarterback cannot survey the entire field at one time. By the time Kap looked his way, things would've looked dramatically different.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:22 AM ]
  • thl408

LOL it's actually from a standup bit by George Lopez. The P stands for something else in that standup bit. Truth be told, this play deserved its own thread.

LOL it's actually from a standup bit by George Lopez. The P stands for something else in that standup bit. Truth be told, this play deserved its own thread.

Totally...thanks for the laugh!
Oh, Boy, just looking at these two pics make me sick. Everybody has covered all points, but Jonnydel you make it understandable...and worse than I recall. Yes, kap locked onto crabs, but I will bet my bottom dollar that this was an AR 1/AR2 play, giving kap but two choices. In fact, my exasperation with kap locking onto receivers may very well be from roman trying to be cute and "fooling" people. Had this just been a "Kap , go to whoever is open play", ie, NOT an AR or designated receiver play, who knows what kap might have done. Forcing a pass into the league's best CB is madness...especially as NC pointed out, #15 still isn't a great leaper after Achilles surgery.

The more I look at this the more it has ROMAN written all over it. For the life of me I wish in the RZ, roman would go take a massage or sit in a hot tub, and let kap alone. I am now about 50/50 on kap "locking on" to a receiver vs roman instructing him to go to AR1 or AR2, instead of letting kap view the field and find out who HE sees as open. Someone else said kap was being a good company man, and the more I re-look at this , the more I think this was roman, not kap.

Somebody said, "what does it matter?" earlier, but it does. Can our OC be the reason that kap telegraphs his passes once the ball is snapped because of roman? It sure would explain two end of season passes kap threw. For my money, I have seen enough of roman. Perhaps the thing for kap to do is nod his head, say, ok roman, and then go to the line, snap the ball and screw this AR 1 AR2 bullschidt. Absolutely no way to know, but I like kap's chances of completing this pass on his own, and NOT following roman's directive. Whether kap can disregard roman or not, I don't know. But he has followed roman to two playoff/SB ending performances, where he definitely had other options.

Harbaugh won't schidt can roman, but kap sure as heck can ignore him. Maybe that is what it takes in the final minutes of playoff games for us to win. Run the play, but DO NOT plan to just throw to a designated receiver. Let kap find the guy, and screw roman. I am now of the opinion that kap's telegraphing is caused by AR1s and 2s, and not necessarily kap. No way to know, but next time, when we get the chance, I would love to see kap disregard roman's designated receivers. Roman thinks he can outsmart every D out there. Well , maybe against 4-12 teams, but against the big Rush, top tier teams, roman is a kindergartener. And he should be treated as such. I know, I know, he is JH's Snoopy blanket on O, but he definitely is a guy who has fooled himself into thinking he is always the smartest guy in the stadium. Sadly, he isn't. In fact, roman isn't even close.
It's time we move on boys and girls.

• ace52
  • Veteran

Exactly.
Crabs is a great WR when he has some space to work. He can make spectacular catches, and get great YAC. However, in tight quarters with a DB draped all over him contesting the catch, I've noticed that he hasn't done so well.
Next time that we are in the RZ, I wish that Roman would design plays that let Crabs catch the ball in space and try to run it in (like the second TD we got against the Saints in the 2011 playoffs), or if we have to go for a jump ball in the endzone, make Boldin the AR1. I thought that was one of the main reasons we brought him into our team. The guy is great at that.

Or pull it down and run
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Or pull it down and run

True, if CK would have pulled it down and stepped back from the rush, that LB that was spying CK the entire time (could care less about Hunter), he would have been able to run or hit Hunter in stride (once running, Hunter would become a lead blocker ala Gore).
Kap made the same mistake he had been making all season only this time he didn't make up for his lack of field vision by making a big play with his legs.

Kap struggles to read defenses and those that criticize him as a one read qb are correct this far in his career.

In our win over the Packers in the wild card rd there were several key points in the game where Kap didn't see open receivers and took off running. It worked so his lack of field vision didn't result in a loss.

Go back to our Superbowl loss against the Ravens. Kap staring down Crabtree and throwing ill timed passes sealed our fate as losers of that game. It was the same thing against the Hawks. He wasn't going to read the defense and throw to the open man. He decided presnap to get the ball to Crabtree.

All the offseason talk surrounding Kap's preparation for next season seems to center on his efforts to get bigger,stronger. Hopefully that's just bs and he's spending twice as much time in the film room as the weight room.
Has anyone considered that Seattle just played excellent defense on that play? No matter how you look at it there's not much there except a short gain at best.
Share 49ersWebzone