LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Finally, analysis from the Seahawks NFCCG coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Right now, because there was so little to gain from that particular game, I'm looking at doing some full season analysis with an eye towards next year.

Things like:
What are our strengths in scheme things we do that we can build on next year
What Kap's biggests improvements have been
Where Kap consistently struggles
How well will Wilhoite fill in for Bowman
How will Bethea fit in with our defense
Is Chris Cook a possible starter in our defense
who will best take over for the cowboy

the kicker is, it's all based off of film analysis and I'll probably ignore a lot of statistical analysis.

If you have any questions that you think might be aided by the help of film, shoot away. I'm going to try and stay away from pulling answers out of my butt because I'm not going to make another thread where someone just kind of throws things out there - because I'm not very good at that, there are others who are much better(I honestly don't mean that as a slight to anyone, I'm saying I sound like a fool when I talk without thoroughly examining the subject)
Sounds like a cool thread idea.

Looney and Kilgore. There's one game's worth of film on Looney in the second Rams game when Staley went down and Looney came in for RG in the 1st quarter. I thought he did well in pass blocking, but wasn't good in run blocking, and I don't know why. I realize how hard it is to not have much practice snaps during the week, then step into the heat of battle. And it's only 1 game.

Kilgore has only played in the jumbo package as a TE. Is there anything that makes you think he can handle the interior Oline, from a physical standpoint? I don't think we can get a sense for his mental feel for playing the center position, which is a completely different beast.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
well, not quite......
Considering the multiple route combo on the backside, I would be rather surprised if the primary read was a go route to the single receiver side.
What I'm expecting him to do is:
pre-snap see the set of the defense and anticipate what the coverage would be in an if/then situation. I.E. IF they are in cover 2 man with the safety out of position I go to Crabtree, IF the safeties drop back into a quarters coverage I go to Patton on the underneath, IF they rotate into a cover 3 I look for the hi/lo read with Boldin/Davis. A QB in the NFL should be able to understand those things when he gets to the line instead of, "It looks likes cover 2 man with the safety out of position and I have Crabs in a 1-1 situation...." he should've been able to read quarters coverage by looking at the safeties at the snap, not towards Crabs. At that point he could've read the coverage by seeing the safeties not split wide.

Making your decision pre-snap is only good if you're right on the coverage. I don't think he was. The fact is, Crabs is not a speed over the top guy against a corner(I don't think Sherman is the best btw) who is playing an over the top technique, that's not a pass that we hardly ever complete against anyone.

"Over the top technique"?

Pray tell, what coverage technique do you think Sherman is going to play with no safety help? Of course he is going to play "over the top" of the WR. He doesn't want to be behind any WR in that situation.

Do you expect him to EVER play an "underneath technique" with no safety help? What kind of "technique" would that be? The, "I want to give up a TD and lose the NFC Championship technique?"
That's the point I'm trying to make. That Sherman didn't have safety help

highlighted in red is a corner playing in a trail technique(albeit a poor one) because of the safety help over the top. This is what I think Kap thought he was going to get with his pre-snap read and saw the safety out of position.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Pisses me off so damn much, still had a shot to win the game even with all those stupid turnovers in the 4th. 37 f**king seconds in the rz and he throws that stupid pass

And we say he is ready for $18-20 million contract. NOOOOOT yet!!!!!!!!!! He hasn't proven enough and this is proof. Any QB making that money should be able to see the field and be able to react better. He is not there yet. That was our game until Kap gave it away. Thanks $20 million man.
Still wish the ball had gone to Patton, he likely wouldn't have scored but would have racked up some more yards, getting closer to the endzone, running some more time off the clock, giving the 49ers a final couple shots for a touchdown.

Yeah, wish he would have gone to Patton, but didn't mind taking a shot at 1st down. Honestly, the probability of it being intercepted is VERY low. Forget the great play Sherman made, what if Smith hadn't taken off as Kaepernick released the ball? It was a very instinctive move by him and if he is not there, we live to play another down.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Yeah, wish he would have gone to Patton, but didn't mind taking a shot at 1st down. Honestly, the probability of it being intercepted is VERY low. Forget the great play Sherman made, what if Smith hadn't taken off as Kaepernick released the ball? It was a very instinctive move by him and if he is not there, we live to play another down.

It's not instinctive if you know the QB has a tendency to lock onto guys before the snap.
Originally posted by Raul98:
Does any of it really matter? it seems like even if all the other options were WIDE open Kaepernick would have never seen it. I re saw that play over and over on DVR and his neck and head never moved from Crabtree he looked at him and him only on that play. The play before the snap was pre determined was going to Crabtree all the way or like some rumors suggested before the snap they saw Crabtree up against Sherman and they were determined to put the winning score on Sherman to make him the losing goat of the game. Regardless of what happend this play is wjy Kaep gets criticism on a play this crucial why would you stare down one receiver and not even look to see who else is open especially when the receiver is covered by one of the best corners in the game and has a linebacker underneath for help and when Patton was WIDE open Davis and Boldin also had room for a completion. I hope Kaepernick spends a lot of this off season learning from plays like this.

Kendall Hunter was wide open UNCOVERED on the same side of the field as Crabs with nobody w/in 10 yards. He would have made it to at least the 5, maybe scored. It's hard to scan both sides of the field and go back to Patton on the other side, but it's easy to check down to a wide open dynamic running back on the same side of the fidld, yet Kap chose to make the stupid throw, and instead of learning from it he insists that it was the right decision.
Because Michael Crabtree is a player on our team. We made him the primary read and tried to play football with our football players. The other option would be to forfeit the game before it starts, or just never throw to Sherman, or just never throw the ball. If you never throw the ball, you will never have an interception. So perhaps we should just never throw the ball again.

Shoulda checked down to the wide open Kendall Hunter right in front of him on the same side of the field.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Pray tell, what coverage technique do you think Sherman is going to play with no safety help? Of course he is going to play "over the top" of the WR. He doesn't want to be behind any WR in that situation.

Do you expect him to EVER play an "underneath technique" with no safety help? What kind of "technique" would that be? The, "I want to give up a TD and lose the NFC Championship technique?"

All the more reason why it was a poor decision, either by Kap, or the play design forcing him to lock in on Crabtree with no regards to Sherman playing over the top technique. He ran that route for Crabtree. No way Seattle was going to give us the deep sideline in that situation, knowing we need to score a TD.

The play-call itself absolutely screwed CK (company man) from the beginning. CK already had 4 TO's (3 lost) that game and most were d/t relentless pressure. What did you think the Hawks were going to do under 1 minute with us driving (ala the Ravens)? Situational awareness dictates quick, smart, throws and designs here to get near the EZ to take your shots. All year we talked about using Hunter or James to SPRINT out of the backfield to create easy mismatches on LBers ala Sproles. Here is a case where had Crabtree ran our standard "go route" (not hard to scout this one) Hunter could have sprinted out of the backfield trailing his route. If Crabtree is covered up you hit Hunter quickly and get out of bounds. Either way, if forces the underneath LB to sprint over to cover Hunter and now he is no longer in trail-INT mode. B/c we only asked Hunter to delay and flare out around the LOS, the LB is now free to trail the pass and provide coverage. Also, this simple design also gives us one more option...space with CK's legs on the right edge.

Whether it's an AR 1 or AR 2 or primary read in a WCO or Schemblacher play, one thing stands out to me in these designs the majority of the times - it's all-or-nothing. We do not give CK many viable options esp. to the primary side of the field he looks too. Even in this case highlighted here, if CK were to turn to the left side of the field to locate and pass to Patton, this is most likely a sack/strip/fumble.

This design HAD to be very quick and with at least two viable receiving options to the same side of the field knowing pressure would be coming. To me, this one play highlights the two biggest flaws in our offensive system 1) Lack of viable receiving options (poor designs) and 2) Poor situational awareness (lack of timely play calling and lack of setting defenses up or attacking obvious weaknesses)
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 31, 2014 at 7:26 AM ]
No one mentions when Seahawks were 4th the 7, they go for it, Aldon jumps offsides, entire Niners D takes play off touchdown, win.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Mar 31, 2014 at 7:30 AM ]

Originally posted by maxsmart:
Because Michael Crabtree is a player on our team. We made him the primary read and tried to play football with our football players. The other option would be to forfeit the game before it starts, or just never throw to Sherman, or just never throw the ball. If you never throw the ball, you will never have an interception. So perhaps we should just never throw the ball again.

Shoulda checked down to the wide open Kendall Hunter right in front of him on the same side of the field.

Absolutely. Even with the delayed flare-out, this is a pass in the sight-line of the QB and a very simple touch pass that would lead Hunter in the direction he wanted him to go (towards the sidelines for a big gain and get out of bounds). Hopefully, learning to "see" the check down will be the next step in his QB development and I pray the coaches work with him on this and his foot-work and touch on the ball...leading receivers to open space. If successful, I hope HaRoman start to design RB mismatches more as primary targets out of the backfield to isolate them on LBers; I think this can be a big mismatch in our favor esp. if these routes include sprinting out of the backfield. Either way, the (stay in to) block-then-delayed flare outs have been wide open all year long (since we included them for the second half of the season).
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 31, 2014 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

All the more reason why it was a poor decision, either by Kap, or the play design forcing him to lock in on Crabtree with no regards to Sherman playing over the top technique. He ran that route for Crabtree. No way Seattle was going to give us the deep sideline in that situation, knowing we need to score a TD.

The play-call itself absolutely screwed CK (company man) from the beginning. CK already had 4 TO's (3 lost) that game and most were d/t relentless pressure. What did you think the Hawks were going to do under 1 minute with us driving (ala the Ravens)? Situational awareness dictates quick, smart, throws and designs here to get near the EZ to take your shots. All year we talked about using Hunter or James to SPRINT out of the backfield to create easy mismatches on LBers ala Sproles. Here is a case where had Crabtree ran our standard "go route" (not hard to scout this one) Hunter could have sprinted out of the backfield trailing his route. If Crabtree is covered up you hit Hunter quickly and get out of bounds. Either way, if forces the underneath LB to sprint over to cover Hunter and now he is no longer in trail-INT mode. B/c we only asked Hunter to delay and flare out around the LOS, the LB is now free to trail the pass and provide coverage. Also, this simple design also gives us one more option...space with CK's legs on the right edge.

Whether it's an AR 1 or AR 2 or primary read in a WCO or Schemblacher play, one thing stands out to me in these designs the majority of the times - it's all-or-nothing. We do not give CK many viable options esp. to the primary side of the field he looks too. Even in this case highlighted here, if CK were to turn to the left side of the field to locate and pass to Patton, this is most likely a sack/strip/fumble.

This design HAD to be very quick and with at least two viable receiving options to the same side of the field knowing pressure would be coming. To me, this one play highlights the two biggest flaws in our offensive system 1) Lack of viable receiving options (poor designs) and 2) Poor situational awareness (lack of timely play calling and lack of setting defenses up or attacking obvious weaknesses)

This was a no-huddle play though, Kap called this play so we can't put any blame on Harbaugh or Roman for "untimely play calling", they were spectators just like us at that moment.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
No one mentions when Seahawks were 4th the 7, they go for it, Aldon jumps offsides, entire Niners D takes play off touchdown, win.

I looked at that play and it was frustrating, the LB's stopped playing and Reid didn't play his man well which forced Whitner to help on the inside receiver which caused Rogers to get beat.
  • thl408
Hah! This is what happens when you open the thread with that play. F.T.P.

f**k
That
Play
He has 2 amazing red zone guys in Boldin and Davis is it Roman who's telling him to go only to Crabtree with pre snap assigned plays or is it he just trusts / feels comfortable with Crabtree what's going on? hes done this 2 years in a row now with the game on the line he goes only to Crabtree even with other open receivers on the play. Is he just not looking at them or is Roman telling him who to go to?
Share 49ersWebzone