LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Finally, analysis from the Seahawks NFCCG coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We all said it coming into this game, or any game in that dump...weather the first minutes and 1st quarter. We did that with a huge play of our own in Aldon. point being, we're going to be here again and we will have our chances....have to capitalize on them. We pay in blood for our mistakes in that building.

Painful few months. Can't stand, 'What do the 49ers have to do to close the gap?'

WHAT GAP??? The 1 inch gap between Sherman's finger and that deflection?
Just as i had suspected. Film don't LIE. Patton was wide open(5-10 yard pick) or he beats his man and you might get closer or even a TD.

And wrong bad throw/wrong throw.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Just as i had suspected. Film don't LIE. Patton was wide open(5-10 yard pick) or he beats his man and you might get closer or even a TD.

Even Vernon looks to be breaking away from his defender, with a passing lane available.
We will get them next year, everyone!

Originally posted by NCommand:
We will get them next year, everyone!

I'm eating raw meat like Bob St. Claire in preparation!!!'
Originally posted by joshuatree:
Originally posted by sanjo49er:

Even Vernon looks to be breaking away from his defender, with a passing lane available.
Looked like Boldin had a space between his defender and the safety over the top as well
I went back and watched the Colt's game against the Seahawks as well and after watching the last drive we had against them; I really do think Kaep was right when he said that Seattle's Nickel defense is vulnerable. The trick is, hitting a big play early to the corners to make them get out of their single high formation and open up the middle of the field - which in turn opens up running lanes.

I was hoping that there would be more fruit to be gained from watching the NFCCG again, but, it was mostly poor execution. Whenever we played undisciplined in our pass rush or gap responsibility, we gave up plays. Our line played very poorly, giving Kap very little time in the pocket.

Because Seattle plays the short routes so aggressively, the best way to take advantage is either through short routes to the outsides from the TE or slot receiver, or, by having several deep routes to make them play athletically(change direction, track the ball and time a jump).

I don't pay too much attention to the whole, "how does san fran close the gap?" because there really isn't a gap to be overcome. Right now, it's whoever has homefield advantage wins....

I'm visiting my dad in the hospital right now so I don't have a great internet connection which has made it much harder to pull some pics and stuff so I do apologize for not being able to post photos of what I'm talking about to help illustrate it.
I know this has been said as naseum... But it needs to be said again. How a timeout wasn't called-- with our offense obviously being rushed just to get in position to hike the ball... It blows my mind. A timeout there and I believe we win. We were steamrolling them and even with a timeout would have all the momentum and 4 shots to win
Right now, because there was so little to gain from that particular game, I'm looking at doing some full season analysis with an eye towards next year.

Things like:
What are our strengths in scheme things we do that we can build on next year
What Kap's biggests improvements have been
Where Kap consistently struggles
How well will Wilhoite fill in for Bowman
How will Bethea fit in with our defense
Is Chris Cook a possible starter in our defense
who will best take over for the cowboy

the kicker is, it's all based off of film analysis and I'll probably ignore a lot of statistical analysis.

If you have any questions that you think might be aided by the help of film, shoot away. I'm going to try and stay away from pulling answers out of my butt because I'm not going to make another thread where someone just kind of throws things out there - because I'm not very good at that, there are others who are much better(I honestly don't mean that as a slight to anyone, I'm saying I sound like a fool when I talk without thoroughly examining the subject)
We have seen it before. Throw to Patton. 44 seconds left, 1st and 10, 2 timeouts at the 18 yard line. It wasn't time for panic. Take your time, work it down the field closer, maybe even another 1st down, get closer, then take some shots. There is no awareness of the game situation. You have to understand the situation in the game. Like down, distance, time left, spot on field, # of timeouts, desperation or not desperation.

Originally posted by joshuatree:
Originally posted by JoRo:
That's also misleading. Brees had 140 yds going into the 4th quarter down 16-0. Most of his yards were the garbagetime playing from behind variety. Even then he barely completed half of his passes.

Garbage time doesn't fly when the game was still up for grabs. We choked away the game and Saints came from behind
We lost by 6
Saints lost by 8

Both 1 possession games.

How is a game "up for grabs" when you are throwing a Hail Mary with no time on the clock hoping for a tie?

We were leading the game and were a few inches away from a win. The Saints were never in that game, maybe Brees should have made more plays before that point to give his team a snowballs chance in Hell. He might have avoided interceptions, but he also avoided the lead.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 30, 2014 at 6:13 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
How is a game "up for grabs" when you are throwing a Hail Mary with no time on the clock hoping for a tie?

We were leading the game and were a few inches away from a win. The Saints were never in that game, maybe Brees should have made more plays before that point to give his team a snowballs chance in Hell. He might have avoided interceptions, but he also avoided the lead.

didn't the saints also have to get an onside kick to get the ball back at the end with minimal time left? i think they were down 23-7, got a TD with like 30 seconds left and no timeouts, onside kick with it 23-15 and then had like 2 plays from midfield. not 100% sure if that's how it happened but i never felt that game was very close
Originally posted by jonnydel:

However, Seattle didn't play a cover 2 man, they played a cover 4 zone. This means Sherman's not looking to press and play with a trail technique, he plays with an over the top technique to keep his deep quarter zone. When Kaep saw this he should've checked over to the other side of the field. Maxwell has deep quarter coverage along with Chancellor so Boldin's deep seem route pulls both of them back along with Davis curl it clears the outside curl zone defender leaving Patton wide open on the sideline.

Kap was reading the safety, with an unblocked player sprinting at him. He's supposed to just give up on his primary read because he can't ever throw Shermans way? He had about a second to make a decision. The safety was not there, it was the only possible play.

But no, you're expecting him to:
Kap: After the snap, "Ok, Crabtree is being single covered, with no safety help, obviously can't throw it there. OH s**t! Avoids the pass rush (which takes time)." After avoiding the pass rush, you expect him to look left, where Patton is somehow still miraculously not covered, after 2 - 3 seconds into the play. Then throw it to Patton, where he might get a 5 yard gain.

Or even better (worse):
Kap: Before the snap, "Ok, Crabtree has Sherman on him, so he is no longer my primary read, because you can never throw the ball Sherman's way. Let's look left. Aha! There is Patton. He is covered too, but I am just going to take a wild guess and assume that the corner will play a deep zone." After the snap, "I was right! The corner is playing a deep zone!" Throws the ball, 5 yard completion.

After the play:
Crabs: "Yo Kap, why didn't you look my way I was the primary read and was one-on-one in the end-zone man!"
Kap: "I don't believe in you."

I am curious, based on this logic, in what scenario would there ever be situation to throw the ball deep to Crabtree against the Seahawks? Is this something we should never even attempt? Crabtree is never allowed to be thrown a deep ball because he is covered?
I Just wish the 49ers woulda tried Vernon or Quan somewhere in the middle of the field, heck even a Playaction pass or Kap running around scrambling. But why force a ball into a tight spot vs the BEST CB in the League?
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
I know this has been said as naseum... But it needs to be said again. How a timeout wasn't called-- with our offense obviously being rushed just to get in position to hike the ball... It blows my mind. A timeout there and I believe we win. We were steamrolling them and even with a timeout would have all the momentum and 4 shots to win

We were probably trying to save it in case we got a first down. It could have gone either way, but hindsight is always 20/20.
Share 49ersWebzone