LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Finally, analysis from the Seahawks NFCCG coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
jonnydel, a bunch of plays were broken down here: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/176873-film-analysis-of-the-nfccg/search=analysis
[ Edited by thl408 on Mar 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
jonnydel, a bunch of plays were broken down here: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/176873-film-analysis-of-the-nfccg/search=analysis

gotcha, my breakdown won't be long, I'll be moving on to things to look forward to next year soon.

But, here's a couple snippets from the run game: Here's the O-line not doing well, it only takes on guy to screw the whole thing up....

Here we run an outside power play, pulling the LG and running VD back across the formation and bringing McDonald across the formation on a lead block.

I circled Staley's butt because he got beat pretty bad almost immediately and fell into Goodwin. McDonald never changes from his assignment on the LB and so Red Bryant is waiting in the hole for Gore.

Gore has nowhere to go and it's a 2 yard loss.

There were a lot of running plays where one guy here or there would lose their battle and cause the running game to fail.
Thanks jonnydel, your analysis brings a lot to these forums and hopefully you plan to do the same thing next year.

After re-watching the NFCCG and detailing most of the games this season, where would you say Kap made the most progress?
As for whether Gore still has it:

We're going to try and run a counter to the right here. It's pretty much hat on a hat blocking with the backside guard pulling to give a kickout block.

The O-line does a good job of containing the D and Davis get's a great seal block on the OLB.

Gore takes the ball outside where he's one on one with Chancellor

Gore takes a hard cut inside, I highlighted his direction movement to show hard hard of a cut he actually takes, he jukes Chancellor out of his shoes.

We get a 9 yard gain. This was one of our few successful running plays.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
gotcha, my breakdown won't be long, I'll be moving on to things to look forward to next year soon.

But, here's a couple snippets from the run game: Here's the O-line not doing well, it only takes on guy to screw the whole thing up....

Here we run an outside power play, pulling the LG and running VD back across the formation and bringing McDonald across the formation on a lead block.

I circled Staley's butt because he got beat pretty bad almost immediately and fell into Goodwin. McDonald never changes from his assignment on the LB and so Red Bryant is waiting in the hole for Gore.

Gore has nowhere to go and it's a 2 yard loss.

There were a lot of running plays where one guy here or there would lose their battle and cause the running game to fail.

No johnny, don' you see, Franks losing it, that's why he needs to take 4M pay cut. A real running back would have supersonically exploded directly through all three 300lb seahawk lineman for a 37 yard gain.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Thanks jonnydel, your analysis brings a lot to these forums and hopefully you plan to do the same thing next year.

After re-watching the NFCCG and detailing most of the games this season, where would you say Kap made the most progress?

Well he improved in a lot of areas, but is still a ? in others.

He got better at a few touch throws, of which he had none the previous year, now he has a few in his bag. I would like to see him able to do more, especially in the intermediate level.
His footwork was much better - he's lightyears ahead of Cam Newton or RG3 to put it into perspective.

His anticipatory throws were there more, not as much as I'd like to see, especially from an "elite" Qb - or at least one that's going to get paid like one.....

He's also failing to have that entire field awareness. The great QB's have an awareness of where everyone is on the field, both there players and the defense. He doesn't seem to realize where the defenders he's not looking at are going to be based off of the defense they're running. Unless he's looking at a player he's not going to know what's going on. Case in point: the interception he threw to Chancellor late in the game. He never saw Chancellor on the underneath coverage. He saw the corner backed off in a cover 3 but did not realize that without a receiver to hold the underneath defender that Chancellor would drop right into the throwing lane.

To me, it's not about better command of the offense necessarily, it's better command of the game itself. Which is, knowing more about opposing defenses and how to attack them. I think he understands our offense and the concepts being used, but I'm not sure there's a solid understanding of opposing defenses.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
It makes you appreciate Joe more and more and more. No interception flambe against Dallas, Cinci. Did it right. 18 months in the league.

But -- to be fair to CK -- also, joe ran plays from BW, not the Harbs-Roman united nations security council binding resolution committee for offensive selection 2013.

In 1981, Bill had more professional play calling and play design experience than BOTH harbs and roman will have, PUT TOGETHER, until 2018.

Think about that.

Didn't Joe throw 3 INTs in the catch game?

He got better at a few touch throws, of which he had none the previous year, now he has a few in his bag. I would like to see him able to do more, especially in the intermediate level.
His footwork was much better - he's lightyears ahead of Cam Newton or RG3 to put it into perspective.

His anticipatory throws were there more, not as much as I'd like to see, especially from an "elite" Qb - or at least one that's going to get paid like one.....

He's also failing to have that entire field awareness. The great QB's have an awareness of where everyone is on the field, both there players and the defense. He doesn't seem to realize where the defenders he's not looking at are going to be based off of the defense they're running. Unless he's looking at a player he's not going to know what's going on. Case in point: the interception he threw to Chancellor late in the game. He never saw Chancellor on the underneath coverage. He saw the corner backed off in a cover 3 but did not realize that without a receiver to hold the underneath defender that Chancellor would drop right into the throwing lane.

To me, it's not about better command of the offense necessarily, it's better command of the game itself. Which is, knowing more about opposing defenses and how to attack them. I think he understands our offense and the concepts being used, but I'm not sure there's a solid understanding of opposing defenses.

After the game Kaep said he saw him and thought he could throw it over him but made a bad throw so your analysis is wrong there.
we have a better owner, a better gm, better coaches, and better olayers than the weakhawks. pisses me off because we should have blown them out.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

After the game Kaep said he saw him and thought he could throw it over him but made a bad throw so your analysis is wrong there.

honestly, I'm not sure which is worse.... but does fit in with what I said earlier about how I think he's overconfident. Because, looking at the film there was no way ANY qb could've made that throw.... Chancellor was in perfect position and he's also a tall dude....

honestly, I'm not sure which is worse.... but does fit in with what I said earlier about how I think he's overconfident. Because, looking at the film there was no way ANY qb could've made that throw.... Chancellor was in perfect position and he's also a tall dude....

Kap has his idol Brett Favre in him
When I look at what Seattle's D did to two HOFers in Manning and Brees, it's hard for me to really jump on Kaep's play. He played better than all of them. Just couldn't get it done in the end. Hopefully he'll get it done next year.

When I look at the play it's not a bad idea it's a bad throw. The trajectory is too flat. On the int at the end of the game I thought Crabs was lined up too wide, most of Sherman's picks come on '9' routes and routed where he has inside leverage. Whether Cover 3 or 4 if we line the WR closer to the hash it gives Kaep somewhere to put the ball without having to be perfect. As far as our line play, you may have touched on this, the noise 'evens' the snap count advantage the O-line normally enjoys. Davis is fairly slow in general with the advantage and without it he's cooked against guys like Avril. That's why if this game is played in SF we win and we do win against them at home .
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Mar 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Like I said at the top, I think the biggest thing about his "i decided I was going to Crabtree pre-snap" was that he thought it was a cover -2 man with the safety out of position to help over the top. In a cover 2 man, the corner will press the route to redirect and then go into a trail position because he should have over the top help. However, because they were running quarters coverage, Sherman never pressed into a trail, he kept in an over-the top position. Kaep never checked the safeties to make sure he was right on his pre-snap read - which is what bugs me. By the odds, he would've been right. Seattle plays very little quarters coverage. But, all he had to do was look at the safeties and when they didn't flare out into a 2 deep coverage he should've seen that it was quarters coverage. When you go to the line with a pre-snap read you have your "this is where I'll go IF they stay in this coverage, if not I know where the next read is". For me, it didn't seem that he looked at his keys for confirmation of his pre-snap read, it was like he was too confident about his pre-snap read; and that's been my issue with Kaepernick. He has the tools, but because he does I think his overconfidence makes him believe try things that made some love him at first, but will make him try and make throws that he shouldn't or be sure of a pre-snap read that he isn't right about.

Total agreement there. As for the O-Line, I thought Goodwin was the culprit, I forgot Iupati got injured and Snyder got subbed in. Also agreement with you on Vance. I thought his pass receiving was not at the level of a 2nd round pick, but then again he's a rookie and so he should be loads better this year.

All I can say is that Kaepernick is going to improve. I'm watching Jerry Rice and his work ethic is up there with Rice. Like the other poster said, He played better than Breese or Manning did against that Seadderal Defense, so I have high expectations for him this year.
Originally posted by WeDidIt:
When I look at what Seattle's D did to two HOFers in Manning and Brees, it's hard for me to really jump on Kaep's play. He played better than all of them. Just couldn't get it done in the end. Hopefully he'll get it done next year.

Who started this myth? Brees had a superior game.

300 yards
0 turnovers
Share 49ersWebzone