There are 243 users in the forums

Finally, analysis from the Seahawks NFCCG coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think looking back over this game gave me a bit of closure, but also, left me with just as much frustration because I know we were the better team that day.

First, the loss of Iupati was huge in the game. After he went down, Snyder struggled in both the run and the pass.

If we want to have a much better chance next year we can't play in Seattle. Anthony Davis played maybe his second worst game I've seen from him(his other one was earlier in the year in Seattle as well). Having to look back at the ball for the snap consistently made him a step slow on any pass rush and he couldn't stop the speed rush all night. He lost to his man on pass pro over half the time - not good numbers. Furthermore ,the O-line as a whole played really really poorly - across the board. Boone probably had the best game.

Also, the league has got to do something about the illegal contact downfield - especially from Byron Maxwell. He grabbed more than Bob Barker at a models convention......

I know the last play has been touched on, but that one made me sick and here's why:

First, Seattle shows a 2 deep shell. When they do this they're either playing cover 2 man or cover 4. If they're in cover 4, I'm not sure why Kaep would immediately take a shot at this point knowing his route combo on the other side of the field. I think he thought it was cover 2 man with Thomas the safety playing a shallow set making it look like Sherman would be playing an underneath trail technique expecting safety help over the top. IF they had played that defense it would be a good shot because Thomas' short set probably makes it too difficult to give help over the top on a "go" route.

However, Seattle didn't play a cover 2 man, they played a cover 4 zone. This means Sherman's not looking to press and play with a trail technique, he plays with an over the top technique to keep his deep quarter zone. When Kaep saw this he should've checked over to the other side of the field. Maxwell has deep quarter coverage along with Chancellor so Boldin's deep seem route pulls both of them back along with Davis curl it clears the outside curl zone defender leaving Patton wide open on the sideline.

You see how wide open Patton is at the top of the screen to easily gain 7 yards or so and get out of bounds with 30 seconds left in the game.

Even though, in my opinion, Kaep makes the wrong throw, you see how close the ball was to being complete. If he puts that ball just above Crabs head there's no way Sherman touches it.

As usual, more breakdowns and pics to follow, probably not for a couple hours though.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I think looking back over this game gave me a bit of closure, but also, left me with just as much frustration because I know we were the better team that day.

First, the loss of Iupati was huge in the game. After he went down, Snyder struggled in both the run and the pass.

If we want to have a much better chance next year we can't play in Seattle. Anthony Davis played maybe his second worst game I've seen from him(his other one was earlier in the year in Seattle as well). Having to look back at the ball for the snap consistently made him a step slow on any pass rush and he couldn't stop the speed rush all night. He lost to his man on pass pro over half the time - not good numbers. Furthermore ,the O-line as a whole played really really poorly - across the board. Boone probably had the best game.

Also, the league has got to do something about the illegal contact downfield - especially from Byron Maxwell. He grabbed more than Bob Barker at a models convention......

I know the last play has been touched on, but that one made me sick and here's why:

First, Seattle shows a 2 deep shell. When they do this they're either playing cover 2 man or cover 4. If they're in cover 4, I'm not sure why Kaep would immediately take a shot at this point knowing his route combo on the other side of the field. I think he thought it was cover 2 man with Thomas the safety playing a shallow set making it look like Sherman would be playing an underneath trail technique expecting safety help over the top. IF they had played that defense it would be a good shot because Thomas' short set probably makes it too difficult to give help over the top on a "go" route.

However, Seattle didn't play a cover 2 man, they played a cover 4 zone. This means Sherman's not looking to press and play with a trail technique, he plays with an over the top technique to keep his deep quarter zone. When Kaep saw this he should've checked over to the other side of the field. Maxwell has deep quarter coverage along with Chancellor so Boldin's deep seem route pulls both of them back along with Davis curl it clears the outside curl zone defender leaving Patton wide open on the sideline.

You see how wide open Patton is at the top of the screen to easily gain 7 yards or so and get out of bounds with 30 seconds left in the game.

Even though, in my opinion, Kaep makes the wrong throw, you see how close the ball was to being complete. If he puts that ball just above Crabs head there's no way Sherman touches it.

As usual, more breakdowns and pics to follow, probably not for a couple hours though.

You had me with the bold.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Ugg. I hate that loss. YOu are a glutton for punishment JhonnyDel, I give you credit for a cast iron stomach. Just looking at the pictures makes me sick.
I screamed when we resigned Snyder and was told to calm down. The guy is a waste!
Series of boneheaded decisions. Why Snyder? Looney has trained all year to be a G and when inserted at RG (he's been training at LG), played well. Our rookies do take longer to develop but that's b/c we make them learn 2 or even, 3 positions at once (i.e Patton). And it's not like it's a secret that we struggle on the OL in Seattle on silent counts or that they get away with murder up there in the secondary (playing through the loopholes).

So this coaching staff needed to clearly play within this context and be prepared and overcome a true hometown bias by officiating.

How about for the 3rd straight year NOT kicking off or punting to dynamic punt returners? Stupid!

And given CK's comments to go to Crabtree from the huddle no matter what, why in God's green earth would you attack their best CB with our achilles-WR who isn't exactly known for having jump-ball prowless. Horrible call esp. in that situation. You have about a 10% of completing this 35-40 yard pass...maybe 25% with BOLDin (but not Crabtree). And once again, CK has zero shorter route options on that side of the field when he looks up and sees Sherman 1 yard ahead of Crabtree's own route. So we want CK to come all the way across, to the other side of the field, for a 7 yard gain immediately after being sacked/stripped/fumble d/t the pressure their rotating pass rushers of veterans were providing all game long? Again, this play call and design was a fail from the booth. CK was being a company man IMHO and doing his best to execute the play call and even if he had pushed that ball 6 more inches deeper, Crabtree steps OOB (watch the gif). In short, you hit 1 out of 100 of these tries...very very low probability of success here and NOT the time to take a shot like this.

In these situations, you do what the Niner's did in the Saints playoff game...you provide lots of receiving outlets (the check-downs were open ALL game long), spread them out and get down around the 10 yard line before you take your shots..."He's got it...HE'S GOT IT!"
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
I screamed when we resigned Snyder and was told to calm down. The guy is a waste!
I agree. All he has is versatility so he can give us quantity but he is not quality
Pisses me off so damn much, still had a shot to win the game even with all those stupid turnovers in the 4th. 37 f**king seconds in the rz and he throws that stupid pass
Does any of it really matter? it seems like even if all the other options were WIDE open Kaepernick would have never seen it. I re saw that play over and over on DVR and his neck and head never moved from Crabtree he looked at him and him only on that play. The play before the snap was pre determined was going to Crabtree all the way or like some rumors suggested before the snap they saw Crabtree up against Sherman and they were determined to put the winning score on Sherman to make him the losing goat of the game. Regardless of what happend this play is wjy Kaep gets criticism on a play this crucial why would you stare down one receiver and not even look to see who else is open especially when the receiver is covered by one of the best corners in the game and has a linebacker underneath for help and when Patton was WIDE open Davis and Boldin also had room for a completion. I hope Kaepernick spends a lot of this off season learning from plays like this.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Mar 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM ]
And my last post was not to bash Kaepernick i think he has amazing physical tools and a amazing arm and i truly believe he can be the leader of this team for years.But plays like that one he has to learn to look at every body on the field not just the guy he feels comfortable throwing to.
thanks for doing this jonny

could you take a look at why our run game failed and consistently fails on the road against them? seems like most everyone points the finger at Gore (it's convenient to write him off because of his age) and it's even easier to blame him when on the other side of the ball, Lynch is going beast mode every game against us with or without blocking

Originally posted by Raul98:
Does any of it really matter? it seems like even if all the other options were WIDE open Kaepernick would have never seen it. I re saw that play over and over on DVR and his neck and head never moved from Crabtree he looked at him and him only on that play. The play before the snap was pre determined was going to Crabtree all the way or like some rumors suggested before the snap they saw Crabtree up against Sherman and they were determined to put the winning score on Sherman to make him the losing goat of the game. Regardless of what happend this play is wjy Kaep gets criticism on a play this crucial why would you stare down one receiver and not even look to see who else is open especially when the receiver is covered by one of the best corners in the game and has a linebacker underneath for help and when Patton was WIDE open Davis and Boldin also had room for a completion. I hope Kaepernick spends a lot of this off season learning from plays like this.
Like I said at the top, I think the biggest thing about his "i decided I was going to Crabtree pre-snap" was that he thought it was a cover -2 man with the safety out of position to help over the top. In a cover 2 man, the corner will press the route to redirect and then go into a trail position because he should have over the top help. However, because they were running quarters coverage, Sherman never pressed into a trail, he kept in an over-the top position. Kaep never checked the safeties to make sure he was right on his pre-snap read - which is what bugs me. By the odds, he would've been right. Seattle plays very little quarters coverage. But, all he had to do was look at the safeties and when they didn't flare out into a 2 deep coverage he should've seen that it was quarters coverage. When you go to the line with a pre-snap read you have your "this is where I'll go IF they stay in this coverage, if not I know where the next read is". For me, it didn't seem that he looked at his keys for confirmation of his pre-snap read, it was like he was too confident about his pre-snap read; and that's been my issue with Kaepernick. He has the tools, but because he does I think his overconfidence makes him believe try things that made some love him at first, but will make him try and make throws that he shouldn't or be sure of a pre-snap read that he isn't right about.
Originally posted by znk916:
thanks for doing this jonny

could you take a look at why our run game failed and consistently fails on the road against them? seems like most everyone points the finger at Gore (it's convenient to write him off because of his age) and it's even easier to blame him when on the other side of the ball, Lynch is going beast mode every game against us with or without blocking

I'll post some pics in a few minutes, but, it was all on the O-line and Vance McDonald. To me, a backup TE is a HUGE need in the draft. McDonald went into Dyson mode for this game - he sucked big time. His run blocking is bad at best and his route running is choppy and unrefined. We miss Delanie Walker a lot. Also, the loss of Bruce Miller and Tukuafu had caused McDonald to be used much more. I think it was a situation where they were down to a 3rd option after 2 other guys went down at Fullback - can't blame the coaching staff for that. But, for me, McDonald is at best a 3rd string TE.

Gore definitely still has it, I watched one play where it was only a 2 yard gain or so, but Gore completely juked Chancellor out of his shoes. The cut was so quick and hard it made me go, "wow".
It makes you appreciate Joe more and more and more. No interception flambe against Dallas, Cinci. Did it right. 18 months in the league.

But -- to be fair to CK -- also, joe ran plays from BW, not the Harbs-Roman united nations security council binding resolution committee for offensive selection 2013.

In 1981, Bill had more professional play calling and play design experience than BOTH harbs and roman will have, PUT TOGETHER, until 2018.

Think about that.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Mar 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM ]
  • thl408
SEA played a lot of hybrid coverage. On the side with a single WR (backside), they were in man. On the side with multiple WRs, they played zone. This happened a lot throughout the course of this game and it was the case on this play as well. This is why Kap knew he had Crabs vs Dick 1 on 1, presnap.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Raul98:
Like I said at the top, I think the biggest thing about his "i decided I was going to Crabtree pre-snap" was that he thought it was a cover -2 man with the safety out of position to help over the top. In a cover 2 man, the corner will press the route to redirect and then go into a trail position because he should have over the top help. However, because they were running quarters coverage, Sherman never pressed into a trail, he kept in an over-the top position. Kaep never checked the safeties to make sure he was right on his pre-snap read - which is what bugs me. By the odds, he would've been right. Seattle plays very little quarters coverage. But, all he had to do was look at the safeties and when they didn't flare out into a 2 deep coverage he should've seen that it was quarters coverage. When you go to the line with a pre-snap read you have your "this is where I'll go IF they stay in this coverage, if not I know where the next read is". For me, it didn't seem that he looked at his keys for confirmation of his pre-snap read, it was like he was too confident about his pre-snap read; and that's been my issue with Kaepernick. He has the tools, but because he does I think his overconfidence makes him believe try things that made some love him at first, but will make him try and make throws that he shouldn't or be sure of a pre-snap read that he isn't right about.

Thanks for taking the time to make this post. I'm sure before the snap he saw the match up and he saw a Touchdown. I really like Kaep i just hope in the future if he does see a match up that looks like a sure Touchdown quickly look at the other receivers or look off a linebacker or safety. On that red zone play he didn't look any one off his head and neck never moved off Crabtree. Seattle saw were he was going the whole way. I'm sure he will look at this play this off season and correct that for next season.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Mar 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone